*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527670-65279Two-Loners-Two-Friends
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Nature · #1527670
A poem about two unlikely friends. Dedicated to my wife and best friend, Denice.
Soaring high on the winds of the sky, the eagle flies alone. No mate is found her, not a one under the sun, all have fell to the hunter's gun. Yet strong and sure, this bird of prey continues to soar. Such is the life of this loner.

Running fast and swift is the fox's gift, nothing in the wild can catch him. He searches night and day for another fox with which to play, but not a one is on the map – they have all fell to the hunter's trap. Yet till the setting of the sun, he continues to run. Such is the life of this loner.

Alas one day, while chasing her prey, the eagle encountered trouble. In the shade of the sun, wielding a gun, hid the hungry hunter. With a loud and terrible crack, she felt a sting in her back, and to the earth fell this proud creature.

Lying on the ground, squelching all her sound, the eagle's life came unwound. The hunter cometh, just around the bend, it would seem the eagle is at her end.

It was a sight to behold, as the fox emerged from a hole, and stood before the wounded bird. Being enemies from birth, the fox crouched to the earth, knowing the fierce talons of this predator. But into her eyes he stared, and amazingly was no longer scared.

Hearing the hunter approach, he turned his head, without a doubt he knew, she would surely be dead. Turning again to his friend, he lowered his head, “climb on!” he said. “We must run to my den.”

Onto his back she climbed, in agony and pain, “What am I doing? I must be insane.” Yet she pulled her self up and held on for dear life, and with a couple of strides – they sliced through the grass like a knife. In what seemed like an instant, they were miles away, racing to the foxes home, hidden in the clay.

Into the darkness of his den, the fox carried his new friend.  He laid her on the skin of raccoons, and began to lick her wounds – for the bullet had done much damage.

As the weeks went by, he was always by her side, it just seemed right, he didn't know why. Often he would track down and kill a pheasant, in the hopes she would find it pleasant – a filling meal to revive her strength. But it was to no avail, for only weaker she fell. It seemed all his efforts were in vain.

As it happened one day, the fox was coming with some prey, and then he noticed – she was not where she usually lay. “What has happened to my friend? Has some beast did her in, or perhaps the hunter has come once again.”

Standing at the hole of his den, the fox shed a tear for his friend, with his head hung low. But he lifted his snout, when he heard a mighty shout. For out of the sun, came his loved one. She flew and she soared, as never before, and then returned to the earth – as one given new birth.

And as one risen from the dead, he welcomed back his friend, and the two never parted, no, not even to the end.
© Copyright 2009 erickeVolved (eseggleton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527670-65279Two-Loners-Two-Friends