*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527700-Deadly-Funny
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1527700
For those of you who find the pasty faced clown scary, they are not. Not unless provoked.
Deadly Funny  by Ozzy Cross



         Sometimes things aren't always as safe as you may think and neither are people.

         

         My story is one of a clown named Bongo. Bongo wasn't a clown by choice but became one forcibly.

         Bongo was born with a slight touch of Downs Syndrome and when he was a very young age of four or five, his loving mother and father took him to the circus and left him behind. Being the time of the 1800's, Mongoloids, as they were called, were rendered as a dark secret and we're locked in attics and basements by their own families and were very seldom seen by the general public. So, when the Ring Master and Proprietor of the circus found him and no one claimed the boy, he decided to keep him, named him Mongo the Mongoloid and put the poor child on display as a freak of nature for all to see.

         Needless to say Mongo wasn't a very happy boy. Women gasped and turned their heads in disgust. Men would muster up fake courage and whisper mean hurtful comments to him such as, "You shouldn't be allowed to live.", and, "You're a thing of the Devil." The children would throw candy, popcorn and small rocks at him, laugh and call him names. All of this made Mongo  sad but even at the age of four or five he realized that was his chance to grab some candy pieces for himself, the rocks of course he could have done without. He didn't always mind but he was awfully lonely.

         By the time Mongo was fifteen years old he had grown very cold and shut down inside. When people came in to see him he wouldn't move, talk or even cry. Even when something hard hit him, he barely flinched.



         Three years had gone past and Mongo wasn't all that much of an attraction anymore and people came in to see other things instead of him.

         One day a young girl of seventeen came into The Hall of Freaks with her father and just happened upon the cage of Mongo the Mongoloid. The young girl felt terribly compassionate and very sorry for Mongo and her father felt the same.

         The young girl and her father spoke to Mongo and asked him his name. Mongo looked up from his usual stare at the floor and looked at the man and his daughter. She had a warming smile on her face and hair the color of chocolate, which was bundled up on top of her head in a bun. Her father was a tall, thin man with grey hair, a blue jacket, and a black shirt with a strange white square just under his chin.

         Mongo said, "My name is.... Mongo."

         "No child...", said the girls father, "what is your real name?"

         Mongo replied with, "I don't remember. I only know Mongo."

         Suddenly the door on the back of Mongo’s  cage opened and the Ring Master stepped inside and yelled at Mongo for talking to the spectators. Mongo answered with, "But I...". The Ring Master swung out and his hand stung the face of Mongo.

         "I told you about your talking back!", the Ring Master shouted and raised his hand again.

         The young girl pleaded out, "Daddy, NO!!"

         The girls father yelled out to the Ring Master, "Dear God man, stop it right this second or else!"

         "What Padre? You and your God gonna strike me down? Mind your own business!" mocked the Ring Master and slapped Mongo once more.

         "Come my dear, we must leave.", said the girls father, pulled her away from Mongo’s’  cage and out of the circus they went.

         "See what kind of problems you cause!? Now next time you'll Listen when told to shut your face!", yelled the Ring Master and left Mongo’s’  cage.

         Mongo laid at the bottom of his cage after the circus lights went out and the curtain around his cage was dropped down around his bars and he cried for the first time in years.

         Late that night, when all was quiet, Mongo had just started to fall asleep when he heard a soft small voice whisper out, "Mongo."

         Mongo answered with, "I'm here."

         The center of his curtain opened and the face of the young chocolate haired girl appeared in the darkness and glowed from the flicker of a candle she had brought with her.

         Mongo whispered loudly, "It's you!", then scrambled over to where she was.

         "What is your name?", asked Mongo

         "Rose, My name is Rose. Are you certain your name is Mongo?", the girl answered.

         "Yes.", said Mongo.

         "Do you like your name?", asked Rose.

         "No.", replied Mongo.

         "Neither do I", said Rose, "How about we call you Tommy? That's so much nicer."

         With a smile on his face Mongo replied, "Yes, please do. I like Tommy much, much better."

         "Tommy it is then.", said Rose

         Just then the curtain on Mongo’s  cage opened all of the way and the light just out side of it was lit. It was the Ring Master.

         "Ah, Mongo. Got yourself a little girlfriend?", he said.

         Rose turned around and saw that the Ring Master was directly behind her.

         "Leave her alone!",  Mongo yelled out.

         "Correction dear boy. That's what you'll be doing. I'll be doing far worse than that.", informed the Ring Master.

         While looking down into Roses eyes the Ring master nodded his head to his right and the curtain dropped shut in front of Mongo.

         "Rose!!", Mongo yelled out.

         "I do believe boys, she's finished with that dress!", the Ring Master shouted out.

         Rose screamed.

         Mongo could hear her screams and a scuffle outside of his curtain.

         "Rose!", screamed Mongo, "Rose!"

         The scuffle died down some and Mongo heard the Ring Master order, "I'm first boys. You five can wait your turns. Hold her steady."

         Through out the whole night Mongo cried and screamed Roses name while he tried not to listen to the men’s laughing and cheering, and to Roses muffled screams.

         From the faint light just at the edges of his curtain Mongo could tell that the sun was just beginning to rise. The curtains center opened just enough for the Ring Masters face to peer in.

         "Boy Mongo, you have no idea what you've just missed. Don't worry, all you ever need do is ask and I'll be more than happy to tell you all about it.", tortured the Ring Master and with a cruel chuckle let the curtain close.

         From beyond the curtain Mongo heard the Ring Master say, " Alright boys, she's had her fill. Do her in then throw her in. The lions are hungry."

         Months to nearly a year went by and Mongo finally stopped his crying.



         The circus pulled into a new town and set up for their usual four day stay. Ring master was just walking past Mongo’s cage when one of the circus goons ran up to the Ring Master and informed him that Puddles, the circus' eldest clown had died in his sleep.

         "Fuck! What about our show!?", screamed out the Ring Master.

         He turned toward Mongo and said, "You've not made any money for me in years. You'll start tonight. I'll be back for you later Mongo....", he paused, "I mean, Bongo." Chuckling, he walked away.

         Mongo’s cage curtain was kept closed all day, he heard people walk by outside but the curtain never opened.

         Mongo, Sitting in the dark, heard the Ring Master walk by and voiced out the order to have the "Mongo the Mongoloid" sign, lights and banner taken down and disposed of.

         "Mongo, exists no more. If Bongo don't work out neither will he.", the Ring Master exclaimed.

         Moments after the commotion stopped outside, the cage door opened and Mongo was dragged out and thrown into the clown tent where three clowns commenced to apply make-up and clothes to create the new "Bongo".

         Bongo found himself in the center ring with bright lights shining down on him. He took a second and looked around to see hundreds of people watching him do nothing. All of the other clowns knew what they needed to do but Bongo was given no instruction so he just stood there nervous and scared. The other clowns were juggling, riding uni-cycles, walking invisible dogs and pinching the cheeks of children in the audience. Fifteen white, pasty faced clowns rapidly moved around Bongo performing their normal routine and Bongo just stood there in the middle of the center ring. Suddenly one clown bumped into Bongo rather roughly and moved on, another clown ran up in front of him and shot him in the face with a water squirting lapel flower, another socked him in the face with a cream pie while the next hosed it off with a spritser bottle, two more clowns started to juggle around him. Standing in the middle of the flying wooden pins Bongo put his white gloved hands over his eyes and stood as still as he could. Without warning, one by one, coming from the clown behind him, each pin hit Bongo in his back. Throughout this part of the show each clown did his own thing while each took his turn clowningly torturing  Bongo while the crowd howled with laughter.

         The end of the clown segment ended and the clowns, in single file, ran out of the ring leaving Bongo standing in the spot he stood throughout the show. The last clown out stopped, turned, went back to Bongo, grabbed him by the arm and jerked him out of the ring getting one last laugh.

         After the show Bongo found himself sitting in the clown tent alone looking, pitifully at himself in the mirror. His clothes wet with water and one of his ears caked with cream pie. Bongo pulled off his curly blue wig and began to cry.

         "What the fuck's the matter with you?", exclaimed the Ring Master as he came bursting into the tent. "You were a hit son! Keep up the good work and we'll be rich. Well, I'll be rich, but you'll be there to thank for it. Well, then again it was my idea to put you out there.", boasted the Ring Master. "There's a cot over in the corner Bongo, you'll sleep here from now on.", the Ring Master instructed and left the tent.  Bongo got up from his chair, went over to his cot and laid down. " I don't feel like a hit.", mumbled Bongo then fell asleep.

         The next morning the clowns returned to the clown tent and woke up Bongo. "Come on boy, we have five shows today!", explained one of the clowns.

         Once again Bongo was jerked around until made ready and endured the same show.

         Everyday the circus was open Bongo went through this same meaningless existence. After a while the Ring Master figured that he could get even more out of Bongo. When he wasn't clowning he was to be used for manual labor. Sitting in a cage and not being feed properly Bongo wasn't really up to the hard work of setting up, tearing down and feeding the animals so the Ring Master set Bongo up with the circus's strongman Zeus.

         Zeus' real name was William and he was ordered by the Ring Master to feed Bongo and to give him a daily workout as to make him more useful.

          Bongo and Zeus became decent friends. In fact Zeus became the only father figure Bongo ever had.

         A few years had gone by and Bongo was still a clown, still a handyman, and still a slave to the Ring Master, but only now he was a lot healthier and a lot stronger almost super human strong.

         Bongo's life had became something that he was actually able to tolerate and he even smiled from time to time. Even though the Ring Master still had his hold over him, Bongo actually considered the circus a home. Zeus was the only circus employee that treated Bongo kindly. He became real good acquaintances with the other freaks but as far as all of the clowns, trainers, performers, and handymen Bongo was still made fun of and taunted. Bongo didn't care for he had the only friend he needed.

         One day, while the circus was setting up, one of the elephants were spooked and went on a momentary rampage, knocked down a couple of partially set up tents and crashed through a couple of circus wagons. Bongo and Zeus were close to the elephant when it all happened. Bongo looked on in fear and amusement.

         Suddenly, the elephant headed toward where the Ring Master was standing making the Ring Master practically run for his life. Bongo said nothing but in his mind wished that the elephant would catch up to the Ring Master and crush the life out of him.

         Bongo turned to look at Zeus for some kind of sign that everything would be alright but during the commotion Bongo found himself without Zeus. Bongo forgot the Ring Master and used his eyes to scan the scene for Zeus and he found him. Zeus was heading to the rescue of the Ring Master. Bongo stood stiff with fear even though his mind told him to run in after his friend.

         Almost in slow motion, Bongo watched the elephant rear up as Zeus ran in to push the Ring Master out of the way. Just when Zeus got to the Ring Master the elephant came back down and all Bongo could see was the elephant. Bongos concern for his friend overcame his fear and he found himself running toward his friend.

         Several hired hands ran toward the elephant and tossed some heavy ropes over it, then the lion tamer raised a tranquilizer riffle and fired at the elephant. The hired hands grabbed the ropes and pulled tight in order to give the elephant a bigger fight causing the tranquilizer to circulate through the animal faster.

         As the elephant thrashed about, other circus employees prevented others from getting to close to the animal. Bongo just stood there looking to see if there was a sign of Zeus. Finally the animal calmed and slowly laid down on the ground.

         As the circus help ran over to where Zeus and the Ring Master were, Bongo made his way through the crowd. Upon clearing the crowd, Bongo saw the Ring Master unconscious five feet away from where Zeus lay. Zeus' body was crushed from the chest up including his face and part of his head.

         Bongo screamed out and ran to the side of his dead friend and cradled Zeus' crushed and bloody body. Bongo screamed out desperately, "Help him, somebody please help him".

         One of the hired hands tried to pull Bongo away from the lifeless Zeus and was unable to. Another hand came over to assist but Bongo's life with Zeus made him to strong to fight. Before long the Ring Master had come to and when back on his feet he seen the problems people were having with Bongo. Bongo was not leaving Zeus.

         "What are you people doin?", screamed out the Ring Master, you people work with dangerous animals all day and you can't handle one worthless circus freak"?

         Five hired hands came at Bongo all at once and all five were thrown about one by one. During this scuffle the Ring Master came over toward Bongo and the moment he had a chance he took his walking stick and struck Bongo just behind the knees. Bongo went down hard and the five hired hands grabbed him and carried him off.

         A sheet was thrown over Zeus and he was then carried off to his tent. Bongo, after being calmed down, found his way there. He sat outside and wept for about an hour.

         Bongo looked up and saw the Ring Master walking toward Zeus' tent and he was accompanied by a tall, thin man dressed in a black suit.

         The two men entered Zeus' tent and Bongo could hear them talk.

         "Well there he is", stated the Ring Master.

         "How do you want this done"? the other man asked.

         "I don't care if you use an old feed sack and toss it in a shallow hole"., answered the Ring Master.

         The two came out of the tent and just as they were passing Bongo the Ring Master ordered the man in the black suit "There’s a bucket in there as  well, containing some skull and hair, make sure that goes with you." The man in the black suit confirmed with a nod of his head.

         "Come with me, I'll see you get paid"., added the Ring Master. A cart, went into Zeus' tent with four helpers. Out from the tent came the helpers, each had bunched up corners of a sheet and Zeus laid in the middle of the sheet. They walked him out and placed him onto the cart. The Man in the Black suit followed with a bucket of Zeus, placed it in the wagon, and with the helpers hauled the body away.

         Just before Zeus was out of sight, from around the corner of Zeus' tent, where Bongo sat, came the Ring Master, "The show must go on.", he finished.

         Bongo just glared at the Ring Master. "How could you be so cold to... man who saved your life?", Bongo asked.

         "Bongo, don't think I'm not glad to still be alive but if a wagon falls out of service or a light bulb burns out do I stop and cry? No I don't. I move on and replace it. This isn't my first Zeus and it won't be my last. I'm sure your friend is nothing more but a burned out light bulb to me. Throw it away and get another. Simple as that". explained the Ring Master.

         "Bongo it's time to go and get your face on, it's about show time.", ordered the Ring Master.

         "No, I'm not going." replied Bongo.

         "I thought maybe you'd feel that way that's why I brought my boys with me. Bongo, you have three choices here. One you could get up and just do as I say. Two, we can do it their way,", the Ring Master threatened then  pulled out a small derringer, "Or three, we can end it this way."

         Bongo, not taking a chance, stood up and made his way to the clown tent to prepare for the show.

         The clown segment was cued and the clowns poured into the center ring and began their routine. Bongo slowly shuffled out and stood in his regular spot. Bongo was furious but it was impossible to tell under his clown garb.

         It finally came time for the juggling part of the end of the clowns act. Bongo stood there as always and when the clown behind him hit him with the last wooden pin it also became the last straw. The clown that had hit him with the last pin went to trot past Bongo and as he was just about to pass him Bongo reached out with both hands, grabbed the clown by the arm and swung him around in a 180 degree turn and ran him face first into a very large tent pole that ran straight up through the center of the tent. This hit sent the bridge of the clowns nose up, piercing into his brain killing him instantly. Bongo bent down and picked up one of the wooden juggling pins and turned to walk away. As he turned he saw an angry clown running at him. When the clown got into reach Bongo swung the pin with all of his might and connected with the clowns jaw shattering and dislocating it. The clown fell straight to the ground and with all of the strength Zeus gave him Bongo raised his foot and stomped down directly onto the throat of the clown crushing his wind pipe.

         By this time spectators were screaming and shouting, leaping from their seats and running out of the tent.

Parents were grabbing up their children and men were pushing their way through the scrambling masses just trying to get out.

         Bongo had snapped!! As he killed his way out of the main attraction tent a hired hand came up behind Bongo and attempted to grab him with both arms wrapped around Bongos chest. Bongo lowered his head, opened his mouth and bit off the thumb of the handyman. The handyman let loose but Bongo didn't. he had a hold of the handyman’s arm. Bongo turned lifted his knee and pulled the handyman toward him running him into his knee, knocking the wind out of the handyman. The handyman fell forward, face down onto the ground. Bongo took a couple of steps and grabbed one the staked down tent ropes and pulled the steak clean out of the ground. Bongo walked over to the handyman, knelt down and plunged the steak directly into the back of the handyman’s head.

         Bongo looked up and saw the lion tamers running toward him with his tranquilizer riffle in hand. Bongo ducked back into the tent and hid himself under the stands just inside the entrance. the lion tamers ran into the tent, went about six feet inside stopped and looked around for bongo. Bongo stepped out behind the lion tamers, tapped him on the shoulder and stood ready. The lion tamers turned around and Bongo took his riffle from him. The lion tamer stepped back a couple of steps and Bongo speared him with his own riffle causing the barrel to pierce its way out of his back. Bongo saw another clown racing toward him. Bongo dropped down angled the riffle upward and pulled the trigger sending a tranquilizer dart flying directly into the eye of the approaching clown. Bongo couldn't have hit straighter if he had aimed. The clown fell straight down and Bongo dropped the riffle and lion tamers. When the lion tamers hit the ground his pack of stick matches fell out of his pocket. bongo picked up the matches and struck four of them at the same time and dropped the burning matches onto a stack of hay bails close by, setting them and a tent wall on fire.

         Bongo left the Main attraction tent and murdered his way to the cages containing all of the circus' animals. As he viciously mangled all who tried to stop him he set free all of the animals one by one.

         The Ring Master stepped out of his living car to see what all the commotion was. he looked in confusion and panic as patrons, circus employees, and animals went running past him. He looked toward the main attraction tent and seen it engulfed in flames. Mouth opened the Ring Master dropped the fist full of money he was counting just moments before. For the first time even he had no concern for the profit he had dropped, which was now blowing away. He started to step in the direction of the Main tent when a panicked and running handyman bumped into him. The Ring Master grabbed the handyman by both lapels of his jacket and screamed into his face "What in the devils depths is going on here?', he questioned.

         "Bongos gone mad and is killing everyone who gets in him way. Even set fire to the tent." answered the handyman.

         "My circus! It's ruined! We've got to stop him!", shouted the Ring Master.

         "Sorry Boss. On your own on this one". responded the handyman, Knocked himself free from the Ring Masters grip and ran off.

         "Come back here you coward!" screamed the Ring Master at the fleeing handyman.

         "Son of a Bitch.", said the Ring Master and stepped back into his living car grabbed his derringer from his desk and came back out.

         "I'll stop the freak Bastard myself.", claimed the Ring Master and started off to find Bongo.

         Bongo went into the freaks tent and set them all free. The freaks all thanked him and went out the back of the tent. Bongo turned and headed back out the front of the tent and saw that the Ring Master had spotted him and was heading his way with gun in hand. Bongo ran back into the tent and ducked under one of the cages. The Ring Master entered the tent and in the poor lighting saw no sign of Bongo. As he noticed that the freaks were all missing he shouted out, "you ungrateful bastard, I'll see that you rot in Mongoloid Hell!!!"

         The Ring Master assumed that Bongo had merely ran out through the back of the tent and proceeded to head out the same way. Just before he got to the opening, the now freed freaks came walking in two and three at a time. The Ring Masters eyes opened wide in disbelief and he panicked stopping dead in his tracks. Wolf Boy stepped forward and informed, "This is as far as you go." The Ring Master turned to exit the other way and walking toward him was a blood splattered Bongo. The Ring Master screamed out, "No! God no!", and fired his two derringer rounds into the chest of Bongo. Bongo took but one step backwards and continued toward the Ring Master. The Ring Master, trapped and in a panic threw his empty gun at Bongo and missed. Bongo met up with the Ring Master reached out grabbed him by the throat and choked him to the ground. The Ring Masters face turned a deep burgundy as he grasped the fore-arms of Bongo. Bongo's strength, anger, and hatred allowed him to squeeze so hard that the whites of The Ring Masters eyes filled with blood just before he finally became taken over by death.

         Bongo let go of the Ring Masters throat and fell back resting his shoulders and head on a tent pole. Obviously dying, the freaks gathered around Bongo and comforted him. The local constable came into the tent and moved his way toward Bongo. The constable knelt down beside Bongo and looked up at the freaks, "Does anyone know his name?", he asked. Randomly, one of the freaks said, "Bongo.", then another said, "Mongo, originally."

         Bongo wearily raised one hand and motioned for constable to come in closer. The constable put his ear just in front of Bongo's mouth. Bongo whispered to the constable with his last breath and slipped away.

         Now, five miles away from where the circus once stood, in a desolate semi-abandoned cemetery, beside a wooden grave marker that reads, "William Blake. Strongman." there is another marker that reads, "Thomas William Rose, Clown Hero".
© Copyright 2009 Ozzy Cross (ozzy_cross at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527700-Deadly-Funny