*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529977-The-Littlest-Wizard
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1529977
Rolo, the littlest wizard must perform a spell to prove himself.
The Littlest Wizard

by David Anthony Chalfant





Deep, dark blue filled the sky as the last bit of sunlight faded behind the shadow of the great mountain, Koolundair. Stars began to twinkle in the heavens, as Rolo, the littlest wizard, waved his magic stick, trying to perfect his spell. But something wasn't right. The silver butterflies would appear, glowing, as thought they had been painted with the dust of the moon, but he could not get them to dance-- Particularly one butterfly that insisted on fluttering off in search of its own interests. This was, of course, great fun for Rolo's cat, Pookita, who would wait for the perfect moment to pounce-- proving what a great hunter she was. But all of this would cause poor Rolo to lose concentration. Suddenly, all the butterflies would disappear, leaving only a few twinkles of moon dust.

“Oooh, I'll never get it right!” Thought Rolo, with great disappointment. He knew that he was running out of time. There were only three more days before he would have to present himself before Windella, queen of the fairies, who gave all wizards and sorcerers their magic sticks from the branches of the “Great Tree.” The Great Tree was where the fairies lived and was, therefore, the most magic tree. But Windella demanded that a wizard present his magic before her every five years, to prove his worth with a useful spell. Wizards who did not meet her approval would be forced to return their magic sticks and continue to conjure cruder spells and potions without the help of powerful fairy magic.

Over the years, Windella had become harder and harder to please. Greedy wizards were constantly trying to increase their power. Some had tried to steal longer branches, or even leaves, from the Great Tree, to try to make their spells stronger. Windella had to place a fairy guard to protect the Great Tree day and night.

There was only one other wizard presenting a spell before Windella this year. He was a famous wizard, who had performed magic for kings. His name was Lorku. He lived in a mighty castle, and when he was summoned by some king to make a potion to cure a sickness, or perform a spell to protect an army going into battle, he would travel with a grand entourage. He had two apprentices, who would follow close behind him, ready to assist in any magic. He had another servant, who led the mule driven cart, which housed all of his ingredients and potions. And there was Bome-ba, the dwarf, who beat a steady rhythm on a drum as they traveled, and shouted announcement of Lorku's arrival whenever they entered a town or village. Rolo knew that Lorku's magic was sure to impress Windella, while his... Oh, he couldn't event get those silly butterflies to dance right. “Only three days to go.” Rolo sighed to himself, as that one butterfly wandered off again. It seemed the only one who would appreciate his magic was Pookita-- who was spellbound.



On the morning of the big day, Rolo woke up early to prepare a picnic for himself and Pookita, for it was a long journey to the Great Tree. When his lunch was packed into his pouch, he carefully smoothed his wizard hat and placed it on his head. Then he took his magic stick into his hand and gave it a slight wave. Pookita, who had been watching Rolo prepare, gave a curious meow. Rolo patted Pookita on the head and scratched behind her ears. “Well, Pookita, Today's the day-- I hope she likes it.” And with that, Rolo turned and started out, with Pookita following.



At noon, Rolo and Pookita stopped by the side of the road to have lunch. After lunch, Rolo decided to practice his spell one more time. He took his magic stick into his hand, stretched out his arms, and closed his eyes, to focus his concentration. Slowly he began to swirl his magic stick in the air. Tiny sparkles began to appear. As he swayed and swirled his stick, the sparkles began to take shape and to form butterflies. Rolo opened one eye, and when he saw the butterflies forming, he opened his other eye and smiled. “Now, get them to dance...” he thought to himself. Suddenly, Pookita meowed.

“Quiet Pookita,” said Rolo, but soon his concentration was broken, and the silvery butterflies began to flicker and fade away. “Oh, Pookita.” But then Rolo realized that it wasn't Pookita that had broken his concentration, but that he heard the beating of a drum coming his way. “Boom-boom-ba-ba-ba-boom-boom!” Rolo, looked down the road, and coming toward him was Lorku's parade. Bome-ba the dwarf, beating the drum, led the parade, followed by Lorku, walking under a shade held up by this two apprentices. And finally, his servant leading the mule cart. When the parade came to Rolo and Pookita, Bome-ba stopped drumming and shouted as if to a crowd of hundreds, “I present the great and powerful wizard, Lorku. Conjurer of magnificence and Sorcerer to kings!” Rolo stood looking up at Lorku, who was very tall. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to bow or not, and he couldn't think of anything to say. Then he saw that one pesky butterfly fluttering around. He hoped Lorku wouldn't see it. Lorku looked down at Rolo, but said nothing He just grunted a “humph!” and then looked away. Bome-ba began to beat the drum again and led the parade on. It was a very impressive procession and Rolo was even more sure that Lorku's magic would impress Windella.



When Rolo arrived at the Great Tree with Pookita, there was a grand festival underway. Fairy pipes were playing happy tunes as fairies flitted around dancing and singing. There was a great feast, and the smell of fairy cooking made Rolo's mouth water, but he was too nervous to eat. He saw Lorku sitting under his shade looking very impressive and having conversation with some of the more important fairies. Queen Windella was sitting on a throne under the Great Tree. When Rolo saw her, he removed his wizard hat and bowed. Windella smiled and nodded at him.



The party went on all afternoon, and just as evening was beginning, when the shadows are the longest, but before the first stars appear in the sky, Queen Windella called for the music to stop,. It was time for the wizards to present. With great excitement, the fairies flitted and flew to find the best places in the branches of the Great Tree to watch. Then, Windella looked right at Rolo, and he knew it was time. With a deep breath he stepped into the clearing before Windella's throne, Pookita started to follow.



“No, no, Pookita, not right now. You stay here.” He said.



Again, he removed his wizard hat and bowed. “Greetings Queen Windella, I am Rolo, and it is my honor to perform magic for you.”



Then Rolo closed his eyes to concentrate. He raised his magic stick, and began to swirl it in the air. Slowly sparkles began to appear and take the form of butterflies. He opened his eyes, “concentrate now, Rolo, don't lose your focus,” he thought to himself. As he swayed and swirled his magic stick, the butterflies began to dance, swirling and swaying with the motion of the stick. The fairies applauded with delight. Rolo looked up to Windella on her throne, and thought he saw the beginning of a smile, And then that one butterfly stopped obeying Rolo's stick. Off it fluttered toward the banquet tables. But Pookita was ready. She crouched behind a a loaf of bread, and at just the right moment , she pounced at the butterfly and landed right in the punch-bowl. “Splash!” The bowl tipped over and red punch washed over the table ruining all the deserts. A roar of laughter erupted from all the fairies. It was the funniest magic they had ever seen. Rolo blushed with embarrassment as he scooped up the very wet, and very surprised, pookita. Rolo didn't know what to do next. He just wanted to find a cloth to dry Pookita and go home. Suddenly there was a loud beating of a drum. “BOOM-ba-ba-ba-boom-ba-boom!!” Bome-ba rushed into place before Windella's throne and began to shout Lorku's introduction.



“Fairies of th Great Tree! It is my honor to present a wizard who is known across many lands! The Sultan's of the east and the great King's of the north know his name and call upon him to perform in their courts. He is advisor to Kings and protector of armies. I present the great and powerful, Lorku!!”



Suddenly there was a flash of light and smoke, and from it appeared, Lorku-the great. He was welcomed with cheers of awe from the fairies. Lorku waited for the cheering to quiet and then he spoke. “Queen Windella, while commanding butterflies is a most useful skill, perhaps I may still impress you when I conjure and command the mighty fire-breathing Dragon!” And with a wave of his hand lightning flew form his magic stick. And from the lightning, an explosion, and the smoke from the explosion took the form of a massive dragon. The dragon roared, and fire spewed from its nostrils. The fairies gasped in fright. Lorku waved his magic stick and ordered the dragon, “Yield to me, beast, and bow to my command!” Suddenly the dragon calmed and bowed to Lorku. Lorku laughed as the fairies cheered. “Now , beast, bow to Queen Windella,” Lorku ordered. The dragon trotted forward a few steps and bowed before the throne of the fairy queen. Cheers of delight roared from the fairies. Lorku too, bowed before the adoration of his audience. But several of the younger, more curious fairies wanted to get a closer look at the mighty dragon, and flew from their perch in the Great Tree. Lorku was too busy basking in his triumph to notice when the young fairies began buzzing around the dragons head. And Lorku didn't notice when the bowing dragon stopped bowing and started watching he young fairies flying close by. Suddenly, the dragon snapped at one of the fairies, who narrowly escaped being snatched from the air. A panic instantly came over the fairies as the dragon angrily roared his frustration and began to chase them, spewing fire left and right. Lorku ordered the dragon to stop but as he waved his magic stick, the dragon shot a ball of flame and burned Lorku's magic stick to a tiny nub no bigger than a finger. Lorku looked at the smoldering charcoal in his hand as the dragon continued to chase the frightened fairies. Rolo looked to Queen Windella,. Her magic was so powerful, that with one word, she could stop the wild dragon, but she just sat on her throne calmly and looked at Rolo.



“I guess it's up to me,” thought Rolo. He thought for a moment, then took his magic stick into his, hand, and waving it in small swirls, he ran between the dragon and the fairies. Sparkles formed butterflies, more butterflies than Rolo had ever conjured. And Rolo made them dance around the dragons head. The dragon stopped chasing the fairies, and began snapping at the butterflies. Rolo made more and more butterflies appear until the dragon forgot all about the fairies. Then Rolo waved his magic stick once more and the butterflies all flew up, up, into the sky. The Dragon followed, snapping and shooting flame until they all disappeared out of sight. Then Rolo turned to the fairies, who cheered and celebrated.



Queen Windella stood and quieted the fairies. She called Rolo and Lorku to stand before her. Lorku still held what was left of his magic stick in his hand as Queen Windella spoke, “My dear wizards, Thank you for sharing your magic with us. You have each shown the value or you magic to me today, and it it is my decision that you shall both keep your sticks until we meet again in five years.” Rolo could see that Lorku wanted to object as he looked at the tiny nub of a stick in his hands, but he knew better Than to challenge Queen Windella. And even a nub from the Great Tree was better than nothing. So both Lorku-the great, and , Rolo, the littles wizard, bowed before Queen Windella.



Afterward, Lorku and his entourage left in a great hurry. When Bome-ba began beating his drum, Lorku snarled at him, “Oh, shut up!” and stormed down the road with his servants following after. Rolo put his pouch over his shoulder, and looked around for Pookita. She had found a real butterfly to chase and was quite busy. “Come on now, little Pookita, it's time to go home,” said Rolo.



And pookita said, “Meow.”



The END.

© Copyright 2009 david's world (dchalfant at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529977-The-Littlest-Wizard