*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1530144-LESSON-6DT-6--RE-POW-WOWS
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1530144
Assignment 6 - NA Class
LESSON 6

Although I have been to several Pow-Wows in the past, I never really understood the significance of any of the dances.  This was an excellent overview.  The jingle dance that sounds like rain grabbed my attention as did the explanation of the background of the Grass Dance. 

I was aware that they allow non-Native Americans, primarily children, come up and do some dances but it wasn’t until I went to the Boy Scout function this past November that I learned about the one entrance to the arena and that you mustn’t go under the boundary ribbon around the arena.  It was in the effort to education the boy and cub scouts that the announcer read out some of the rules of respect.  These were also written in the writing for this class, although I learned much more in the class information. 

I am looking forward to going to another one now that I have more of an understanding about what the dances symbolize.  There are Pow-Wows all over Alabama including one close to where I work at least twice a year and being that my 7 year old is fascinated with the drum and with the dancing, I have a feeling I will continue.  I look forward to using this information to teach him more of the “rules of respect” so that he will be able to show that during the event and perhaps will encourage the dancers that some non-Native Americans do try to learn more than just watching a bunch of Indians dance and having a day outdoors. 

In November 2009, I was able to participate in a dance at a Boy Scout function  that included a Pow-Wow). The dance was called a Broom Dance, about which I wrote a poem with that title in my port.  It was an awesome experience, both doing the dancing and participating with my son who really wanted his mom to dance out there with him.  I think if I were to do one, I would love to let loose and do the fancy dance or maybe the jingle dance (the sound of rain would be soothing).  I wonder if a woman gets to an age where they don’t let her do the Fancy Shawl Dances anymore or if they aspire to move up to the more respectful and sedate Traditional Dances as a rite of passage.


 The Broom Dance: Ceremony - Pt. 2  (E)
Finding ceremony in the relationship b/w 3 generations who feel the beat of the drum.
#1496132 by SWPoet
 





DISCUSSION 6

I was also interested in learning the tradition about the dropped Eagle feather and having the dance stopped.  I was also relieved to know that the practice of mixing up different tribal regalia was actually a planned thing and not because things have gotten that jumbled up or that they were somehow trying to please or appease the audience.  I have only seen the dances done during the day at the festivals in Alabama and didn’t really know what they do when the “audience” goes home and it is just the participants in the contests. 

I was intrigued again to see the similarities between the Native American’s Pow-Wows and the Scottish Highlander’s “Gatherings” held all over the US and the UK throughout the year, including dancing, music, competitions, sporting type contests, and the exchange of information among separated folks within a clan and among other Scots. 

Overall, I felt the information was very informative and will likely take it with me next time I go to a Pow-Wow.  I think this lesson was also very necessary as the Pow-Wows are about the only way most of us come in contact with any Native Americans and their culture/practices. 


Brandy
© Copyright 2009 SWPoet (branhr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1530144-LESSON-6DT-6--RE-POW-WOWS