*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531199-Double-Bluff
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1531199
F/lt Johnson investigates a threatening newspaper article.He's in the dark for a reason.
The headline rang in the ears of flight lieutenant Johnson as though whispered mockingly by the ghost of Orson Welles. War of the Worlds was all over it, the same kind of sensationalist trickery. F/lt Johnson was one of few who knew it wasn’t.

         Finally security had taken his call. “I really can’t speak now, Johnson.” Head Officer Smith was, like most, resentful of the decision to adopt local names, but he always kept to protocol, whether he agreed with it or not. “Just about everyone wants me today and there’s nothing-“
          “‘Alien Ship Found’. There’s nothing ambiguous about this. And it’s no dirt sheet.”
         “I was informed about this before it happened.” Smith sighed. ”I can’t do anything.”
         “Why not? If the captain had lived to see his ship-“
         “Because I’ve been ordered not to by command.” Johnson couldn’t respond, speculatively or otherwise, because the red button on the phone was ringing. Command wanted him.

         The call came from commander Jones. This had to be serious.
         “No doubt you’ve heard about the newspaper story.” Jones was always straight to the point, which made him outstanding in his position, and avoided by most of the settlers.
         “Yes. There must have been some kind of a breach. Somebody must have let them in to the compound.”
         “We did. This whole thing has been orchestrated, with a little help from the friends we’ve made here.”
         “But why?” Johnson was an inquisitive spirit, but slow on the uptake. Jones knew this.
         “There’s no trust in the news media here. Reverse-trust, in fact. If something major like this is printed, it must be false. They’ll never believe we’re here now.”
         “And what did you want me for?” Johnson feared the worst, because it was usually true.
         “We need a witness. As incredulous as possible.”

Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2009 Jules Garnett (julesgarnett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531199-Double-Bluff