*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531856-Helpless-and-Cold
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1531856
journal entry; a brief reflection on the moment
It's February 22nd, and it's Oscar night in Hollywood. I'm listening to public radio and trying to clear up writer's block. The program is "Acoustic Cafe", and it's really great background noise....

The announcer says it's "Let's Not Watch The Oscars Night", then turns on a female vocalist singing a folksy rendition of "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas". The tune has fiddles, guitars, a twangy country male voice singing backup, and even some accordion. I'm waiting for an explanation.

I'm not watching the Oscars because I have no television service.

I have no television service because two years ago I decided that TV was a major time waster and I could get all my news and entertainment from the radio and the internet.

Now, the tune has segued (terribly) into a tune about thirty thousand men on the street,sidewalk, town, nowhere to go when the wind starts to blow, looking around for a place to lay down. OK, I see, perhaps these thirty thousand men are dreaming of a white Christmas, somewhere warm and dry, safe and away from troubling dreams.

I guess she thinks no one is listening.

I'm listening....
© Copyright 2009 Morgan Kennedy (morgankennedy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531856-Helpless-and-Cold