*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1532779-The-man-who-came-from-the-woods--preface
by beef
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1532779
the preface of Bill Sherbrook - an introduction to the book
(author’s note) a brief thanks and explanation



First and foremost I would like to thank you, the reader, for being interested in my tale. Your interest and purchase is warmly appreciated. This book, its research and the events of its coming to fruition have taken their toll. The man who came from the woods bore its concept in myth and folktales within articles that I have read and people that I have spoken with. I have not simply sat at a desk and written the first thing that entered my brain I have studied these myths devouring them in my thirst for understanding. I have travelled the country from state to state in search of the truth, in search of reason. I have toiled hard. Both body and mind are weak from my efforts.



I apologise in advance for any errors, grammatical or otherwise that may spoil your enjoyment. Holding my hand in the air I will admit I am no writer just an old farmhand with a young spirit and sense for adventure. My words are true and accurate and in the writing… well I’ve tried my best. I guess you don’t get an apology from the author in your usual bestseller and so, for that fact alone, I guess this tale is individual at the very least.



I will be honest and warn you that this is undoubtedly a strange book but this is something for which I feel no apology is required. I must admit I found the circumstances and events that occurred in Pineville, Colorado strange enough to persuade me to undertake the writing of it.

In the first section labelled ‘introduction’ I start by introducing myself as any polite individual should. I explain how I came to hear the strange case of Pineville, my first reactions and how these reactions led me to the place I am today.



The true story of the man who came from the woods describing the incidents that happened in Pineville were written by another, a journalist by the name of Judd Larkkin. The second section labelled ‘the article written by Judd Larkkin’ I leave as the words of Judd himself. I have read this story on many an occasion, it is a tale of true beauty and quality and is written in a style I could not hope to achieve. Therefore I have left the manuscript in its full entirety hindered only slightly by various footnotes and observations both by myself and others that have read Judd Larkkin’s work.



The third section holds my research into the matter. I have labelled this section ‘my research.’ I agree it is a title showing no imagination or creativity whatsoever. In my defence my research has taken me many hours and travelled with me many miles. I did attempt to come up with something a little better. In the end however my research is simply that. I have included this section simply to provide you, the reader, with information. In the course of my travels I have interviewed several of the villagers involved in Judd’s tale. I have left the transcripts of these interviews deep within the appendix however I have described them in my own words as an attempt to create a clearer picture of these meetings and the events that unfolded that made them necessary. I leave you with this information and expect you to process and theorise these clues, as only a curious mind will tend to do. Throughout the research I developed several theories and explanations for the events that happened in Pineville. They led me down many winding paths. I wonder with interest what paths you, yourself, will travel.

If there is a fourth section entitled ‘the journey into the woods’ I will be a very happy man. I have written this story as my investigation has increased. If the journey into the woods is the finale of the book it will mean I have wandered those dark paths and returned with a sane enough mind to recall them and place them on paper.



Finally, as I leave you to read, I wish you well. The man who came from the woods has developed into legend around these parts. People whisper, tales are abroad, children are scolded and threatened, not by the bogeyman as tradition has allowed, but by the man who came from the woods himself. Out of the woods he comes and steals you away. One touch and his victims become wood and vine to remain in the forest one with him and one with nature. They say he is a collector of people, they say he whispers encouragements enticing folk in, folk who are never seen again. If you are a child I suggest you behave. If you are an adult and are walking through the woods like the old clichÈ states I simply advise you stick to the path.



Enjoy and be watchful



BILL SHERBROOK

















© Copyright 2009 beef (boiledbeef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1532779-The-man-who-came-from-the-woods--preface