*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1533997-Are-You-Educated
Rated: E · Short Story · Educational · #1533997
Thoughts on knowing facts vs. being educated! 112GPs for review!
There is no pure definition of the concept of "educated!" Those who pride themselves with degrees, ie. BS, MS, and Ph.D., surely think of themselves as educated. However, this is but one form of education. Most think of the completion of a degree in a chosen area as being educated. This is true, to a degree, however, one must keep in mind that education, as perceived here, is an ongoing and infinite process. Can uneducated refer to the fact of no education at all? It is a broad point of conjecture.
  Think of the guy who is considered illiterate and possesses no formal education! However, he possesses the ability to fix anything relating to combustion engines, especially cars. Does his lack of formal education make him any less educated than the physician? Whereas he acquired his education through trial and error and just plain intestinal fortitude, as well as years of hands on experience! Yes, the doctor has a great deal of formal education, but how does one differentate between these two as to who is "educated" or "uneducated?" When a human is not operating properly, he seeks a doctor. When that same person has an automobile that is not operating correctly, he seeks a mechanic, who by chance has no formal education, but as his knowledge of automobile repair goes, is considered a genius. The point here, is most people seek the wisdom of others whenever their particular storage area of facts and education are nonexistent as they would apply to specific areas. This really true when one is faced with problem solving as it would apply to immediate need!.
  One needs to consider the meaning of facts as they pertain to educated? It is a given that one who is "eduacated" possesses infinite facts and draws upon them regularly to live daily as well as using the facts an education to make sound and logical decisions. This of course would happen by in large as a reaction to what goes on in one's life day to day! Hence, it should be surmised that education, knowledge, as well as the possession of a multitude of facts, are only a dividend to the individual. This dividend, then is only as valuable to the individual as the individual utilizes and effectively activates the dividend in his lifetime? If the individual does not resource and effectively use their accumulation of facts and education, it is assumed he is analphabetic, patois, or even uneducated! To be enlightened, informed, taught, tutored, or even considered well-educated and not use those afore mentioned qualities has committed a crime. Consider that all those who attempted to teach facts, education, as well as impart their experience have been cheated by the individual who does not practice what was given for them to absorb and resource in their lives at work, in the classroom, living daily, etc.
  Suppose then that the use of "educated" was to include such terms as enlightened, informed, instructed, knowing, knowledgeable, learned, lettered, literate, numerate, schooled, self-educated, taught, tutored, and well-read. Taken individually or as a whole all of these words can be substituted for "education."
  It would be very difficult to imagine "anyone, who mentally, had memorized millions of facts and still was uneducated. "What then is the proof? It is in the "pudding" All the facts in the world are meaning less if they aren't put to good use by living, demonstrating, working, loving, and just plain developing from birth until death!

WORD Count:581
© Copyright 2009 Artemis Quill (artemisquill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1533997-Are-You-Educated