*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535661-Curada-Chapter-1-Ciudad-de-la-Luna
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #1535661
The first part of an on going story...
Curada

Chapter 1

Ciudad de la Luna

"Sand tongue walks forward to the town that peeks over the horizon. The shimmering heat is visible in the air, it is thick and dizzying as sand tongue wades through it, her journey is becoming harder to understand. Every thing looks the same. The sky is a morbid tan that fades into the hot dry desert terrain. The only change in the landscape is the little town that sand tongue must reach. Sand tongue needs to rest. Sand tongue needs to find a new name. Please, give sand tongue a new name! Please!"

Acaso sprints through the village streets, every fiber of his body on edge. He must not be delayed. All the village boys have to be there, ready to compete. A woman steps from her home and is almost run over by Acaso, she jumps back into her doorway "watch ware you're going, Roach!" she yells after him. A dog runs across the road, causing him to tumble in to the dirt packed street. Curses flying, he picks him self up and hurries on. The village center is in view, all the crowds of people bustling around, the shouts of the vender owners and the cries of laughter spill from the mass of adults. Some very young children stumble out of the crowd and right in to acaso. The collision sends all 3 flying in different directions. Acaso swares as he dusts him self off and eyes the little Bits. "Where you think yer goin?" "All the Roche town boys gots to go that-a-way." he says pointing into the crowd. He eyed them thoughtfully "you new round here?" "Why was you two in the town crowd anyways?" the little boy and girl huddle together staring at Acaso. "Ok, well if yous two aren’t want'n to gets lost, er pummeled you'd better be fallowin me. Keep close." acaso starts toward the town center looking behind to make sure the little bits are fallowing. Satisfied that they will keep up, acaso speeds forward through the throng of people. He and the little bits dodge vender stalls, swinging bags of freshly bought merchandise, stomping feet, flailing arms, and the occasional fidgeting animal. The 3 children run out of the town crowd and into the filthy allies ahead. There feet hit the packed dirt, sounding like an offbeat drum. It is silent in the allies, except for the drumming footsteps of the children. The old path slops down and they pick-up momentum as they rush toward the huddle of children ahead. A group of boys, ages ranging from just able to walk and talk, to almost working, is gathered around a large well. The old well stands in the center of what was once a beautiful town common, but had been degraded by years of neglect. Old forgotten mansions and stores surround the area of oil sodden, moss and rat debris covered packed dirt that some children call there stomping ground and some families call home.  The 3 children hurtle forward, and acaso pulls to a stop just before colliding in to the boys ahead of him. The little bits that had been fallowing slam in to his back. Acaso stumbles, gathers him self and turns to the children. " Ok kids, yous gots to be separatin' now cause this is a boys only type of a mandatory meetin." acaso watches the little bits, expecting some kind of response or a move toward separating. As he eyes the two, he notices the little fem squirm, her eyes have dark circles under them and a tear trickles down her rosy, dirt dusted face, she murmurs something to her brother and he speaks to her sharply under his breath, they both ignored acaso as they converse, the girly swipes at a tear, smearing the moist dirt across her face. Looking closer at the girl acaso sees now how tired and lost she is, where did these kids come from? He kneels down, looks directly into the little fem's face and speaks softly, "you're needing a lay down aren’t you?" He asks. The once fancy shirt and pants that the girly is wearing are now no more than rags. A chilly breeze tosses her moist and filthy hair from her face. Acaso slips off his jacket and drapes it around her shoulders. "How's about you go lay down over by that wall and your brother will come wake you when its time to go." says acaso, he stands up and takes the little fem's hand, leading her over to the wall. She sits down and stares up at him, her big eyes fearful, but she is helpless with exhaustion. "Rest your head deary." soothed acaso. She lays down, seemingly straining to keep her eyes open, too afraid to sleep. Her brother whispers something to her, and her eyes become glassy. She forces her eyes shut with a little whimper; the tears squeeze out the sides and run down her cheeks. She hides her face in the coat acaso lent her and sighs. "What is this meeting anyway?" asks the boy; in a young, whispery voice. "Come look, and I will explain," answers acaso. He starts forward and then stops, "what is your name?" he asks. The boy stares into Acaso's eyes and answers, "mooneye. I am called Indesvara or Inde." the name shocks Acaso, what would come from associating with this moonchild, and does he need to participate in the ritual? He hides his alarm and asks, "What is the little fem's name?" Inde answers with impatiens "she is Riverhand, and she is called Naida." Acaso gazes up at the sky, the moon is up and the clouds are clearing.  "I am called Acaso, now it is time for the event."  He turns before Inde can respond and the two make there way over to the other boys. They are all circled around a large well, the older boys helping the younger. Every one is talking in low voices about trivial things from the days preceding. Acaso and Inde join the circle and the group goes quiet. Acaso speaks, "I, Acaso, bring this group together for the coming of the full moon. The first point of order to address before the time of the ritual arrives is to thank last months leader, Pinto." acaso smiles at a boy, of about Naida's age. The little bit smiles back at Acaso. "You did a fine job last month pinto, I hope to do as well as you, thank you for your sacrifice." pinto nods and acaso moves on, " the next point of business is Inde, a new boy to the town, I ran into him on the way here. His name is mooneye, and he is called Indesvara or Inde." a suppressed gasp blows through the group. Acaso continues, "he is to be a part of our group if he wishes it, can I get someone to explain to him the manner of the ritual?" the group is silent for a moment and then a very small boy pulls free of his guardian's hand, "I can Acaso." he announces. "Thank you Verano, go ahead." Verano starts, as if reciting from memory, "This is the ritual of the sacred moon. We have this ceremony every full moon. It is unique to this village because this is the only village of the moon. The moon is our lord and lady. We gather here and have this meeting and a different person leads it each month. After the leader gives his points of business, it is open to the group to state any points of business they have, and then the ritual begins. If you look in to the well you will see that the water is covered by moonlight, with this water we wash are selves and clothes. Then the leader makes an offering." the child stops, and looks up at Acaso, silently asking if he remembered it all. Acaso nods to Verano and looks at Inde, "we thank the moon for watching over us. Will you join in?" 

To Be Continued...
© Copyright 2009 Wren Ariel (misosazai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535661-Curada-Chapter-1-Ciudad-de-la-Luna