*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535785-A-Cup-of-Tea
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seadog
Rated: E · Essay · Travel · #1535785
A moment of quiet during vacation.
A CUP OF TEA

The russet-colored building, trimmed in dark chocolate, contrasted to the buildings of neon blue, green, and yellow surrounding it. A quiet and subdued oasis in a sea of swirling colors, the small tea house sat on a quiet back street in Antigua. I relaxed on the covered porch, sitting on a wrought iron chair next to a worn wooden table. A cool breeze blowing in off the blue Caribbean eased some of the heat and humidity of the day.

The high-pitched calls of the sea gulls floating overhead mingled with the occasional whining of a vehicle passing by. With the low chatter of the locals playing bass to the chorus of animated altos of the tourists sitting nearby, it was an orchestra of sounds.

The rustling leaves of the palm trees drew my attention to the sky over the harbor. Frigate birds were soaring above the water, effortlessly gliding on the air currents. Back-dropped by the white cotton clouds above, their ivory breasts shone brightly amidst the black of their bodies and wings. Their grace and calm added to mine.

Soon a beautiful young lady with dark copper skin and a small round face caressed by curly black hair approached the table. Her smile exemplified the warmth and friendliness of the island; the, “Hello, how are you?” from people walking by or, “Can I help you find something or someone?” as I stand on a street corner looking lost. In her hands she carried a small try with what I realized was my order. It was more than I expected when I had asked for a cup of tea.

In the center of the tray sat a large white ceramic teapot with a delicate blue design all around it. On one side of the pot was a clear, cut-glass teacup sitting politely on a plain white saucer; on the other a small jar of honey with a ceramic spoon. She placed the delicate tea service on the nicked and scarred table, making it look even shabbier, and with a voice as bright as her smile she hoped I enjoyed my tea.

I had chosen a local variety of herbal lemon, that when poured into the clear teacup seemed to glow and shimmer in the dappled sunlight. The lemon aroma mingled with the soft breeze off the ocean to form a tangy/salty fragrance. As I took the first sip I could feel the warmth and zest of the lemon cut through me, reaching out to sooth my body. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds around me, felt the breeze on my cheeks and let the tea ease me even further into vacation mode.

I sat for some time sipping the tea, making the most of the opportunity to relax in the warmth of the day. A simple cup of tea never tasted so good.

© Copyright 2009 Seadog (ricku at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535785-A-Cup-of-Tea