*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537425-Pater-Familias
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Family · #1537425
Background: One man's family (Neil, mention of Beverley)
The secretary ushered him into the room, gesturing for Neil to sit as the man behind the desk finished his phone call. The leather chair creaked when the man uttered his goodbyes and finally turned his back to the Manhattan skyline dominating the room. He smiled gently at his son as he issued a brief list of instructions and a sheaf of papers to his waiting secretary.

“Good to see you, Neil.” The man stood and offered his hand. Neil wiped his hand on his pants leg and gripped his father’s hand. Both sat quickly and his father glanced at his watch.

“Dad, I need your help.”

“What is it, son?”

He twisted nervously in his chair, fidgeting with the silk tie he had tied and retied so many times. Swallowing hard, he smoothed the tie down the front of his shirt, beads of moisture popping out along his brow.

“Son? Are you in trouble?” His father propped his elbows on his desk, resting his pursed lips on his steepled fingertips.

“No, sir.” He ran his hand through his darkening, sweat-dampened hair. “Well, sir. I need help buying a ring.”

“A ring?”

Neil stammered and blushed. “Yes, sir. An engagement ring.”

“Ah, the young doctor.”

“Well, she’s not a doctor, yet. But soon.” He leaned his elbows on his thighs and dropped his head, clasping his damp palms together between his knees. He jerked up suddenly, his voice growing stronger. “And her name is Beverley.”

“I’m well aware of her name, son. And is Ms. Shipley aware of your intentions?”

“We’ve discussed it, sort of, I mean, not in so many words.”

“And you are assured of her answer? An Anderson man has never been refused.”

Neil chuckled to himself. “That’s not what mom says.”

“So she made me ask twice, she eventually said yes,” His eyes twinkled as he fidgeted with the simple band encircling his finger. “You love her?”

“Absolutely.” The older man stared deep into Neil’s eyes and the son found himself straightening his shoulders under the scrutiny.

Without shifting his gaze, Mr. Anderson’s finger pressed his intercom button. “Rosemary?”

“Yes, Mr. Anderson?”

“Cancel my afternoon, my son and I have some important shopping to do.”

“Yes, sir.”

He thumped his son’s back as they walked through the office toward the elevator lobby. “Do you know about the four C’s?”

“Four C’s?”

They turned to face forward as the elevator doors began to close. “Ah, my son, you have much to learn.”
© Copyright 2009 DocPluto (docpluto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537425-Pater-Familias