*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537446-The-Sea
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1537446
A whimsical walk into the ocean.
As the sun begins its decent, I walk towards the waters edge. As I come closer, waves begin to melodically "tap tap tap" at my feet. The music of the waves play their way up my legs until they reach up and grab my shins.

I stop a moment to take in the ever changing sky. A brilliant pattern of ever changing reds, pinks, yellows and blues streak across my eyes. The colors mix and distort together as they land on the waters surface. As I watch the colors play on the water's top, the sea before me stretches farther than I can see. With a deep breath of salty air I begin to walk again.

Every step takes my body farther and farther out into the music of the sea. The decent is slow, and the water slips higher and higher as I go. It reaches my waist now. The once lapping waves of rhythm have become swells of thunder against my body. As I go further and further into sea, the swells become stronger. It takes all of my energy to keep going. It becomes harder. It becomes deeper, with each passing step. From time to time the thundering swells pull me back towards the shore.

I am ever deeper now. The swells beat at my shoulders now. I must start to swim. The swells begin to break from their glorious crowns! All around me, the tops break into a million connected droplets, moving as one tormenting force. No longer is the melodic music and harmony of the ocean heard. Only the harsh sounds of war from every side. Each crown breaks, sending jagged armies of confusion into the glassy water below. Nothing is left settled.

In the confusion of the breaking waves, I find a small, soft, unspoken rhythm. I hold onto that and swim through. My mind relaxed, I look once more towards the sky. It is even darker now. The once bright and colorful sky has been replaced by the saddened blue of night. Stars begin to break the harshness the conformity. A full moon shines along the horizon, as a beacon of hope in the distance. Soft and white in the deep night sky. The sun is gone now, the thin wisps of color fade completely into the horizon.

I swim farther yet, taking on the full understanding and acceptance of the rhythmic sea that holds me so tenderly. I swim past wave after wave after wave. Tossed around like a ball in some silly game a child would play. I go with the rhythm. Taking the waves as they come, ever ready.

Suddenly, I break through. Something about the sea changes. It gave up. No longer was it thundering its presence for the world to notice. Swell are here, but so deep and pure. They no longer break in anger, but gently carry my body further and further out. I no longer have to swim. I lay my back upon the water, and it carries me as a mother would her child. I look back towards where the shore should be, but the horizon is devoid of anything.

As I float, carried by the swells, I am consumed by the silence of the night. The moon lights my way as it plays upon the water. Glittering a path to some unknown and new adventure. Millions and millions of stars look upon me, laughing from the sky in understanding. They, too, once were carried to where they are now. Time flows like honey here. But it does not matter to me. Time is no longer a burden. Slowly the sea rocks me, back and forth, back and forth. It sings such a sweet song. Slowly my body slips into a sleep, so deep and pure. As I go deeper and deeper, I think, what does morning hold for me? I fall asleep, as the stars laugh from above.
© Copyright 2009 Audrena Marie Pond (audrenapond at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537446-The-Sea