*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537544-Zombie-Story-Prologue
by shadow
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1537544
This is the prolouge to my "zombie" story im working on (please rate)
                                                                              Prologue (FP)

      The sun sets as I run gasping for air knocking over garbage cans through the alleys, nearly collapsing. Catching my balance I continue to run without looking back, my face, with a worried look drips in sweat. Losing energy, I jump into a nearby dumpster. The stench of old rotting food fills the dumpster, but I ignore its strong odor. The wind pushes trash across the quiet street; no sound is heard except for the racing beat of my heart as I hide in silence. I attempt to keep quiet but I reluctantly try to catch my breath after sprinting down the streets.
    I hear running outside reverberating through the thin alley way and it grows louder as I keep my breathing to a minimum. The footsteps disappear into the distance and I, hesitant at first, go to open the lid. I create a small opening and scout the area; nothing is visible, and I then slowly open the dumpster fully. I crawl out and drag my aching body down the alley. The moon is clear now hovering above the quiet town and the worried look grows stronger on my face. I peer into a window of a nearby house before sliding it open. Taking out a flashlight and a KZ-45 handgun, I extend my right hand in front aiming my handgun forward, and then placing my left hand across my right, shining the light into the darkroom; much like a police officer would search a house.
      I started to shiver and my hands became unsteady, although it was in the middle of June and the weather was warm, I felt cold shivers run down my spine. Paranoid, I slowly walk into the quiet room and shine the light across corner to corner examining every inch of the empty house. I made my way to the stairs and radiated the hall with my flashlight. My grip on the gun tightened and I began climbing the stairs. Cautiously, I placed one foot in front of the other.
      Once I made it to the top, I checked the corners before continuing my search. I approached the closest door and peaked inside. Two beds lay on opposite sides, both covered in comforters one with images of cars and the other with dinosaurs. I quickly turned back to the hallway realizing I made myself vulnerable. I knew if I didn’t stay alert it would cost me my life.
      The door across was closed which troubled me. I needed to open the door which was challenging with my hands full with useful necessities. The flashlight was needed since it was my only source of light, and the gun was my only protection. I quickly thought of a different tactic, a risky but clever one. Grabbing the flashlight between my head and shoulder, I adjusted it so that it would shine inside once the door opened.
      I grasped the door knob and slowly twisted it. Hesitant at first, I swung the door open and prepared myself for the worst. Without stepping inside I paused and stared into the darkness in complete silence and fixed the flashlight back into my hand.
      Scanning the room with the shining light, I noticed the difference in this room. The bed was unmade, clothes piled on the floor. The room was a complete mess and it was clearly the master bedroom where the owners slept. I pictured the family who lived in the house, who were once happy. I slowly entered the room picked up a picture frame off the dresser and a smile broke the worries from my face. The picture was exactly how I envisioned, two loving parents with their pair of young boys all together and happy. But then something caught my eye, the women was holding a little girl in her arms and only then did I notice the crib on the other side of the room. The smile quickly vanished and my stomach suddenly felt uneasy as I exited the room.
      After the entire house was cleared, I was able to loosen up a bit. A few steps down the hall I was startled by a thread brushing against my head. Jumping back, I swiftly discovered it was only a string hanging overhead. I wrapped it around my hand and pulled down and a ladder dropped down leading up to the attic. Putting the gun in my belt, I climbed the first couple steps, enough to peer in and scrutinize my surroundings.
      As expected, the attic was clear as well and I pulled myself up retracting the ladder behind me. The room was dusty and filled with old furniture, antiques and packed clothes. Cob webs stretched between support beams above. Towards the back of the attic, a sheet covered a worn out mattress which would be more than enough for me to spend the rest of the night. After removing my shoes I sat up on the mattress in grey jeans and black t-shirt which were grimy and slightly torn.
      I sat on the mattress recalling life before the incident and the people close to me. My fingers locked together and my knuckles were pressed against my lips. I sat there in pitch black darkness, incapable of seeing my own fingers in front of my face. Images of a young beautiful girl flash in my head, sliding her fingers through her dirty blonde hair, revealing bright blue eyes  her laughter echoes in my head as the image fades away. I lean back onto mattress and almost instantly drift to sleep with one thought in mind: Everyone I know are most likely dead or worse…one of them
© Copyright 2009 shadow (shadow_vieira at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537544-Zombie-Story-Prologue