*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537884-auguSTAR
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1537884
continued from auguSTAR ch. 5 + 6
CHAPTER FIVE

         “Will, why don’t you let Augusta go to her house and get some of her stuff she needs.” His mom said, pulling him aside. Will didn’t ask for specifics.
         “I’m going with,” he said.
         “Fine, dear.” She patted his arm.
         Augusta sang along with the radio until they got to her house.
         “I’m coming with,” Will said, looking her in the eye.
Augusta let him into her house.
         “Okay, living room, kitchen, table, office. Upstairs!” She went up to the landing. “Master, brother, mine, bathroom.” She pushed open her door, and walked over to her closet, and came out with a bag full of stuff.
         “You just packed that?” Will asked. He’d barely had time to glance around the room.
         “It’s always packed, just in case.” Augusta shrugged. “You never know when my mom needs space.”
         “Do you want to go anywhere else, or are you good?” Will asked, pulling out of her neighborhood. He couldn’t believe she had a bag permanently packed ‘just in case.’ It didn’t look unused, either.
         “Home. I mean, your house.” Augusta said, blushing at her mistake.
         Will looked over at her. “It’s your home too. Whenever you need it to be.” He was serious, and she could tell.
         “Thank you.” Augusta looked past him out the window. “Tomorrow’s school. And work.” She curled her nose.
         Then Augusta looked back at Will. “Why do you work at HyVee?”
         “I don’t want my parents to support me through life.” He saw the look on her face. “You think I’m stupid.”
         Augusta smiled. “This is not an ARE YOU INSANE face, this is one of pure admiration. You want to do something on your own.”
         “Yeah,” Will said, shocked that she got it so easily.
         “God, your hard to understand.”
         “What?”
         “Well, first of all, you actually have a fashion sense. You’re instistant, and you follow through on your word. You’re protective. You’re shy. You want to support yourself.” She turned and looked at him. “You’re blushing.”
         “Well, yeah. And you’re not so easy to get either. Every time I think you’ll do something, you do the opposite.”
         “So think I’m going to do the opposite.”
         “See? Didn’t expect that. Or that you kept a pre-packed bag. Or that you where strong enough that when you grab something I can’t get you to let go. Or that you’d just fit into my family perfectly. You’re the miracle.”
         “Say that again.”
         “You’re the miracle.”
         “Thanks.”
         “Your welcome.”
*
         “Bye, kids,” Will’s dad said as he got in his car. “I’m on call.” Will nodded and Augusta smiled.
         “Swimming?”
         “Swimming.”

         Augusta was floating on her back, so she didn’t notice Will until he was right below her. But before he could grab her, she dove below the surface. Her eyes got huge when she saw him, surprised. Will started to swim up, but she pulled him back down. Then he noticed she was shaking again.
         “Marcus…” he growled. She shook her head. Will’s eyes widened. He pulled her over to the side of the pool. Slowly, Will stuck his head above the water. And went back down.
         Augusta saw her fear reflected back in his eyes.
         Will had seen that same sleezy business man… and he was talking to Marcus. About the pool. He came to find out if pools like this were good for swimming, cost much, who the heck cared. He was a lying jerk. And he was here for Augusta.
         Who was running out of air. Will pulled her to the deep end, with the highest amount of wall between the floor and the water, because of the ramped floor. They went up and breathed… into the smiling face of the sleez. “Hello, princess.” He reached towards her…
         And was hit by a blind tackle from Marcus. “Get her out of here,” Marcus growled, pulverizing the guy. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I swear. He said he was going to get a pool- wanted an example.”
         Will silenced him. He pulled Augusta from the pool. “Will…” she was shaking. He grabbed his shorts and shirt, and her bag from the front door. The miracle pre-packed bag.
         “Tell Mom. And get that Jerk on the list,” Will shouted to Marcus. Augusta shivered, and he wrapped a towel around her.
         They drove in silence. Augusta, hopeless with direction, had no idea where they were. She could feel the tears on her face. “Will, I’m sorry.”
         “You didn’t do anything.”
         “Yet your angry.”
         “At that guy. If I had the time, I would have made sure that when I threw him out he wouldn’t be able to walk home.”
         “He found out where we were.” She looked at him. “Why me, though? Why go after me?”
         “Because you busted him. I bet you anything that other representative thought he was from Guiness too. And I bet he wasn’t.”
         The were silent for a while longer.
         “Will?” She asked again.
         “Yeah?”
         “Thank you. I know this puts you in a ton of danger and all. Being with me. I’d understand if you don’t want that.”
         “I’m not leaving your side.”
         “Till death do us part? For old and for young? Sickness and health? Rich and poor? Whatever else I’m forgetting?” Augusta asked, joking.
         “I do.” Will said. He was so serious Augusta’s smile faded. He turned to look at her. “Pretend I said what you just said.”
         “I do.” She said.
         Then she noticed the black car behind them in the rearview mirror. “Will, who’s in the front seat of that car?”
         Will glanced in the mirror, then tightened the grip on the wheel, and without slowing down did a u-turn and speed through the yellow light, which turned red before the black car was there.
         “He’s tracking the car,” she said.
         “And we’re trading it in.”
         They pulled into the car rental. They parked in the back, then walked in the door.
         “Uno car,” Will said, francias accent present.
         “Sign here.”
         Will wrote Will Traverse. Augusta watched as he wrote Augusta Traverse below it.
         “So he can’t follow your name, too.” Will said.
         They walked out to a blue Sedan and transferred their stuff. Then they drove off, back to the interstate. They drove past the black car- and the sleez, standing next to it, who had tried to run the redlight and been hit head on. He didn’t even notice it was them.
         “Augusta?” Will kept his eyes on the road.
         “Mmm?”
         “Do you want to age five years, be 22, and Mrs. Will Traverse, or would you prefer to stay your age and be Augusta Traverse, Will’s sister?”
         She new the question –and the answer- had more weight than just casually asking it. And she knew her answer.
         “Mrs. Will Traverse, age 22, legally married. We already did the vows, what comes next?” They pulled up to the red light.
         Before he could answer he shoved her head below the seat and pulled on a  crazy wool hat from the glovebox. “Don’t move,” he said through his teeth.
         The black car, heavily dented, drove past without glancing at Will.
         In pursuit of a silver truck much like Will’s… with the wrong licence plate.
         Will took off the cap. “He’s following the color. That’s the only lead he had. We were in a silver truck. And he’s pursuing a silver truck… of a totally different company and licence plate… and state.”
         “We’re in a different STATE?” Augusta shrieked.
         “Nevada. You said you wanted to go to Colorado, right?” Will replied.
         She just laughed. “This would be the best adventure ever if my life and virginity wasn’t on the line.” Then she turned and faced him. “And I get to spend it with my ‘husband.’” She smiled. “Who’s blushing again.”
         Will kept his eyes on the road. Thank god they had already eaten lunch, they could drive until dinner. Then he’d find a motel and a grocery store. “I’m eighteen next week,” he said.
         Augusta turned to him. “Really? I’m turning Wednesday.”
         “Whoa.”
         “Yeah.”
         “That’ll work. We’ll both be eighteen… we can be legally married without faking our ages.”
         “What if they ask about rings?”
Will sighed, thinking over her question. “We couldn’t afford it. We’re staying in my uncle’s cabin. Does that work?”
“If your uncle’s rich.”
“There you go.”
“Than why didn’t he buy a ring for you?”
“Fine. I’ll get you a ring.”
“Don’t go all expensive.”
“Okay.”
“Will?”
“What?”
“Look at me.”
Will turned and stared into her eyes. “Anger isn’t good in a marriage. I know from first hand experience.”
The were almost to the border when Augusta realized how dark it was. What time it was. And how tired the driver was.
“Will, we need to stop.” The macdonalds bag with their leftover food sat between them. He nodded. They pulled into a hotel.
“One room.” Augusta said. The clerk handed her a key, Will handed her cash.
“You have good ATMs in this town,” he said, picking up their stuff.
Will was already asleep by the time Augusta came out of the bathroom. She didn’t care if they were ‘married’, she wasn’t changing in front of him. Will hadn’t objected, though, and she silently thanked him for it.
Augusta picked up the covers and slid under. So tired…

CHAPTER SIX

Will woke up to Augusta organizing the food she’d brought up on the little table. She heard the bedsprings creak and turned. “Good morning, sleepy head. Did you know you drove till 2 AM last night? It’s a miracle this hotel took us. By the way, do you like cinnamon rolls? Because that’s all that was out when I went down to the breakfast bar place. Well, that and orange juice-“
“Augusta?” Will interrupted. She went over and sat next to him.
“Yeah?”
“Your really cute when your all nervous.” She was wearing the outfit he had picked out for her, the jeans and black shirt, and her hair was pulled up, though some strands in front had fallen out.
Augusta blushed, but he just smiled. “And I’ll eat anything you put in front of me. Almost. I don’t go for octopus or anything.”
“You need to sleep,” Augusta said. “I’ll drive today.”
“Fine by me. Just let’s get going.”
They checked out and Augusta adjusted the seat. “God, you have long legs.” She said.
Will watched her drive, her concentration kept on the road and the occasional song on the radio she sang along to.
Augusta heard one of her favorite songs come on. I Wonder, by Kellie Pickler, was sad, but it also was almost a lullaby. She turned it down a bit and sang along, and she was pleased when Will finally went to sleep. It wasn’t fun to leave and not know how everyone was, and where that- man was. But it was fun being on the run with Will. Even though he was tired and all, she still loved to be with him. It was fun playing his wife, although she hadn’t technically needed to start doing that yet.
“Augusta,” Will said in his sleep. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “Right here,” she whispered.
She didn’t see any signs of any black cars. She was beginning to feel safe. They had just passed into Colorado, and it was nearing ten o’clock. She pulled over at a hotel. Will moaned and sat up. “Holy cow, did I sleep all day?” He said, glancing at the clock.
Augusta nodded. “At least you’ll be awake to drive tomorrow.”
She heard a familiar tune break through the silence. Will reached for his phone. Augusta looked at him oddly. “That’s Augustar.”
“Mom?” Will said into the phone. He pulled it away from his ear and Augusta heard assorted screaming. “She’s fine. Say your fine, Augusta.”
“Mrs. Traverse? Hey, I’m fine. I’M FINE!!!” The phone became silent. Will put it back to his ear. “Greencourt.” Will said, in answer to a question. “We’re safe. He’s somewhere in Nevada. Mom, as of next Tuesday we will both be officially eighteen... legal adults. We’ll be fine.”
“Will,” Augusta said as he turned off the phone. “Will, how are we going to live?”
“HyVee is always hiring, remember? And where in the world is there not a HyVee?”
She nodded and they entered the hotel.
This time Augusta changed first, and was stretched out on the bed when Will came out. “Will?” She asked as he slid under the comforter.
“Yeah?”
“Look at me.” Will turned on his side. She faced him. “You don’t have to buy a ring.” He wasn’t sure what she was saying. She wanted to play his sister? Augusta continued, “I love you without one, and if anyone bothers to ask, that’s why.”
She fell asleep immediantly. Will watched her for a few minutes, then kissed her on her cheek. “I love you too.”
“Good,” Augusta whispered, grabbing his shirt. “Now don’t move a muscle and I’ll let go.”
They slept that way all night.
*
         Augusta felt Will’s breath on her cheek. She opened her eyes, and he was right there, smiling at her. “Happy Birthday,” he whispered. They sat up. Augusta’s eyes fell on the table. “A cake!” She said. It was a bit of an exaggeration, since all it was was a Little Debbie cake. With a match stuck in it. “I love it.” She leaned against Will.
         Then she noticed what was on top of the microwave. Another Little Debbie cake, another match. “I apparently got you a cake too.” Augusta said, laughing with Will as they grabbed the cakes. “Our birthday cakes.” He took a bite of hers, she took a bite of his. “Our wedding cakes.”
         “You’ve got frosting all over,” Will said, gently wiping it away.
         “You’ve got to drive us to this mysterious cabin of yours.”
         Will smiled and picked her up. “As soon as your dressed.”
*
“This isn’t really a cabin, cabin. It’s more like a house,” Will warned her as they turned the last bend. Even so, Augusta’s mouth dropped open. The ‘cabin’ was only a little smaller that her house in Arizona!
“It looks big, but it’s just the porch. There’s only two bedrooms in there.”
“We don’t need two.”
“Seriously? Your fine not having your own room?”
“Married people don’t sleep in separate rooms unless they live in the fifties.” Augusta pulled her bag from the seat.
She was taking this married thing seriously, Will noticed. He followed her up the steps. “What are you doing?” He asked, noticing that she was twirling round and round.
“I feel like I’m in a fairytale, and in a fairytale you have to twirl on your castle steps.” Augusta laughed, running to the door. Will took the spare key and stuck it in, opening the door.
There was someone on the couch. They were asleep. He heard clattering in the kitchen. A football game was on.
Will pulled Augusta to him. He reached into the flowerpot and pulled out the handgun.
“Marcus, who’s at the door? Go check.” Will recognized the voice. But the reply was odd. “Okay, Mom.” It sounded like Marcus... when Marcus was twelve.
Will pulled Augustar down with him as the door banged open. And there was the sleeze. “I knew-“he started to say. Augusta looked away as she heard the gun fire.
“Augusta. Say something. Tell me your okay.”
“I’m fine. You might want to call 911 or someone. Self defense.” She couldn’t look over there. Will turned her head to his shoulder. He could feel her tears.
“I know, I know...” he said, smoothing her hair. The sirens where getting nearer.
*
The ambulance left, but the policeman stayed. Augusta wouldn’t go anywhere without Will, and he wasn’t about to leave her.
“Why are you going for self defence?”
“He’s been stalking her.” Will nodded at Augusta, who although asleep was once again latched on to his shirt.
The policeman raised an eyebrow. “Stalking?”
“All the way from Arizona.” Will nodded.
“Any threats or reason to feel threatened?”
“He abused her. That’s why we left. At our high school’s party. Biggest slumber party ever. And he was posing as a representative from Guiness.”
“How old are you?”
“Eighteen in six days, sir. She’s eighteen today.”
“This is one weird case.” The police officer nodded at Augusta. “She latch on like that all the time?”
“Only when she’s scared. She freaks out if I leave.” Will held her slightly closer.
“I think you should go back home.” The police officer said.
Will shook his head. “My family is coming up tomorrow.”
“Then we’ll send some police guards for the night.”
Will lifted her over the threshold. Another wedding tradition. He carried her upstairs. It seemed like they almost were married. Vows, cake, threshold... all the were missing was rice and a kiss.
And rings.
“Augusta,” he said, setting her on the bed. “You have to let go. I need to move to the other side of the bed.”
“If your not there in two seconds your dead.” She rolled over. “One... OH!”
Will had landed two centimeters from her face. “Fast enough?” He asked, brushing her hair back.
“Not close enough, though,” Augusta said, laying her body right next to his. “I need you right here. Don’t leave.”
“This time I wouldn’t even move for the bathroom.” Will wrapped his arm around her waist, and she gripped his hand in hers. She was already breathing softly. Will kissed her cheek and fell into step with her, breathing evenly.

TO BE CONTINUED....
© Copyright 2009 Lullaby Queen 15 (lullabyqueen15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1537884-auguSTAR