*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538119-Prologue
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1538119
First chapter of my new book, Blade Chord!
                                                    -Prologue-
         The moon shone high above the continent of Goshima. Though its borrowed light reached to the far corners of continent it seem to focus on one part of the land. Far off from the other cities, towns, and villages was a long flat plateau. It was on the edge of this plateau that the moon turned its saddened gaze.
                The old village had been decimated. Not a single house remained upright, even the foundations had been reduced to smoldering piles of ash. There was, however, one building that was left somewhat intact.
         At the end of the charred, black dirt road was a small bar that was engulfed in flames. Its roof was falling in, bit by bit, while the walls struggled to remain standing. Inside the slowly disintegrating building two shadows moved slowly as if observing the slow destruction of the once prosperous building.
         As they walked, one slightly ahead of the other, the two shadows spoke to each other. Their conversation didn’t show any signs of panic or remorse instead it seemed light-hearted and slightly joyful.
         “Funny, how things turn out, ay?” The shadow in back said as it kicked at a something that had fell to the floor. As he walked he briefly passed beneath the moonlight revealing a curtain of almost transparent white hair, then he once more entered the shadows.
         “Funny?” The shadow in front answered. The silver haired man stopped walking. “I do not laugh at blatant destruction. How is it funny?”
         The other man gave a shrug and stepped forward. “We got what we wanted and you’re all ‘I do not laugh at blatant destruction.’ Dude, grow some emotions.” He joked as he walked briskly past his partner. He didn’t much care whether or not he had offended his friend. In fact he was hoping he had; it would have been the first bit of emotion he had shown since they had met.
         The silver haired man left his partner to his moodless rummaging and stepped outside. His features were lit entirely by the moonlight; his long hair hung down in front of his almost transparent blue-eyed face which had a scar dividing it into two mirror images. He wore a one sleeved shirt with a strip of leather wrapped around his sleeveless upper arm. His boots were torn and his pants were covered in dust.
         As the silver haired man gazed out towards the setting moon, his partner revealed himself. His eyes were a deep emerald green partially covered by his unkempt gray and black hair. His right arm was covered in bandages with an odd symbol printed on it at his wrist. His left arm was hidden in the folds of a long black sleeve. His clothes were clean to the point where they may have been brand new, unlike his partners. Compared to his partner this man was likely to have come from a very wealthy family.
         The two men didn’t speak or even glance at each, they simply began walking. They vanished as the sun rose on the embers of the plateau.
© Copyright 2009 Lyles Orris (lyles at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538119-Prologue