*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538386-The-Classroom
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Maya
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1538386
A classroom setting strikes fear into a soon-to-be teacher
He sat in the classroom it seemed for hours. The movie Troy played on the overhead displaying the humiliating fighting scene with Paris and Helen's husband whose name slips my mind. It has been such a long time since I've read The Iliad. His arms were crossed on his desk and he stared at the screen through glasses and shaggy hair while resting slightly on his arm. While constantly shifting from a position with folded hands to arms crossed across his chest to leaning over his desk in anticipation, his eyes still showed interest despite being slightly sleepy. The movie, however, did not hold his attention as he smiled with amusement and playfully poked the girl in front of him. The troops charged on the screen, screaming, clashing weapons and kicking up dust. He nudged her and pointed to the exciting scene. The movie once again held his focus. The girl in front of him, though, continually looked back at him and his attention was called away again. He then smiled and commenced to poking her ribs and speaking in low tones. As I watched this scene from afar, I was amused. In other parts of the room there were people sleeping, talking, checking their watches and no doubt their cell phones as well, tapping their Sperry's, and struggling to focus on other work that was due next period. Our guide gestured for us to follow her out of the classroom and down the hall. " Remember that they will not always be that disengaged." She said. My fears of pursuing a career as a high school teacher were only slightly reassured.
© Copyright 2009 Maya (gaj7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538386-The-Classroom