*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538856-Flash-Fiction-Entry-What-If
Rated: · Other · Other · #1538856
What if an old love knocked on my character's door, returning into their life?
Since all the other entries are easily answered with a few words:
(What if everything in life is pre-determined? there's no real reason to try
What if a woman was president? other than going to war or high taxes raised once a month, no real change.
What if guns are outlawed? Big Brother outbreak
What if the sun explodes? We die)

I decided to go with the last one. That is a heavy topic indeed since I could never answer it. Until now at least:
What if an old love knocked on your(character's) door, returning into your(their) life?

Background information: Wil is a woman, she is married to Rye. Rose and Cathan are married recently due to many unfortunate circumstances involving a civil war, and Rose being very weak at the end of all this and Cathan being there for her. Though, she didn't know him long before their marriage.
Word Count:3,252



Life was just beginning to settle for again for Rose, Cathan, Wil, and Rye. It had been three years since the King took the throne and the peace times began. Of course, peace was a relative term. There was no true peace ever, but the King was striving, as were the people of his kingdom, and that made all the difference.
The underground mansion was nearly completely renovated now. Rose was still sure there were places she hadn’t seen, rooms left unexplored, but for the most part she kept herself from being lost. And all the lived-in parts were fixed up and…well…livable.
True to her word, Rose had left the moon-blooming cereus where it grew, allowing it only to be cut where it was necessary to enter their home. Not that it made a difference. They were all quite sure at this point that it was impossible to kill. Rye often claimed that it ate small animals and was frequently seen edging his way inside carefully as if simply touching it would awaken a beast that could quite possibly swallow him whole. But Rose remained adamant in it’s remaining, though no one quite knew why.
“It’s hardly worth the trouble” Wil pointed out when Rye made a fuss one day.
“It’s no trouble at all” Rose replied stubbornly. “We don’t even have to water it.”
“That’s because animals are filled with water…when they’re alive.”
“Shut up Rye”.
Cathan proved to be handy and helpful and it was really due to him that the mansion was as far along as it was. Every so often he would disappear for a while into a room, and when he emerged, it was complete. Rye, known for being good with tools, was somehow stricken with being unable to measure properly, which is a setback when putting walls and floorboards in. Eventually it came down to banning him to the farm work where he proved himself masterful. There was not a day gone by when they didn’t have meat and vegetables on the table.
One spring day, Rose discovered she was pregnant. The entire household was athrill and threw her a party the same week. Immediately, Wil set out to make lists of names for the child. Rye was determined, of course, to get his name in the running and Rose told him he could teach the kid whatever he wanted when it was born if he would just forget about being the namesake. Satisfied, Rye left it alone after that. Rose felt sure she’d received the raw end of the deal.
Cathan was the most overjoyed of them all. He quit working on the house to help Rose with everything, to the point of annoying persistence, and she had to ask him to go to town more than once just to get him out of her hair. But secretly, she had never been so happy. She was quite certain that no one could love her like her husband did, and as much as she pushed him away, she felt most happy at night when he held her and rubbed and kissed her growing belly.

The sense of foreboding Wil always received when life was going perfectly somehow eluded her this time. The time came to have the baby. Rye disappeared into town while Wil and Cathan stayed with her at her bedside. They had a mat on the floor of an otherwise empty room so they could clean up quickly afterwards. The delivery went without flaw, as far as deliveries can, so Rose was utterly exhausted. But the sight of her baby boy was all she needed to face the new day. She had decided on the name Teo. Rose was certain he looked more like his father, who in turn was sure of the opposite. Rose couldn’t be happier than to argue about it playfully. Rye decided the baby looked like him and that was the end of it. After that everyone agreed that the baby did in fact resemble Rye more than the rest of them.
Rose and Cathan were two of the luckiest new parents in the history of childrearing. The child had four parents who passed him along from mother to father to second mother to second father. Cathan found this humorous and told Rose that they had no more claim on Teo than Wil or Rye now.
“Especially since it’s Rye who’s the father” Rose answered drowsily.

It was after Rose was completely recovered and moving about normally that her life was suddenly turned completely upside down. It was summertime, Teo was almost a year old and desperately trying to walk. Though all he accomplished was running as fast as he could before he crashed on the ground, laughing all the while. At first Rose was worried that he’d hurt himself but Cathan assured her that so long as he was being watched he could do himself no harm.
Rose was out gardening in her small, enclosed garden that was always in the sun and in sight of the door of the mansion. It was on a small hill with no trees and the day was clear, without a cloud in sight. It was only for this reason that Rose looked up when a shadow passed in front of her where she was pulling weeds.
“Rose.” A voice from the past made her shudder. It had only been two years. Two, short years, but they seemed long as her memories of them whipped past her. And she knew that voice better than her own. She looked up but the sun prevented her from seeing his face since it was directly behind him. But she didn’t need to see him to know every nuance on his face, and the exact color of his eyes.
“Briar…what-“.
“Briar!” Wil came walking towards them. She must have come out to get Rose to come in to feed Teo and seen them both. “Briar what are you doing here?” she asked him sharply. Rose watched him unflinchingly as she stood. On her feet now, the sun no longer obstructed her view and Rose didn’t know whether to scream, cry, laugh, or run to him. She chose to remain still, her eyes unwaveringly looking into his.
Briar did not answer Wil at first, as if this were an adequate response. Rose realized he looked as tired as she now, suddenly felt. Their silence was broken as Briar opened his mouth and breathed in as if to speak, but Wil cut him off before he could utter another sound.
“Rose. Teo.”
“Wil-“ Rose started.
“Teo! Now Rose!” Wil commanded and Rose obediently walked away. She couldn’t be more grateful to Wil than at this moment. Walking into the house she mechanically fed her son then gave him to Rye. She went to her room and sat on the bed she and Cathan shared. And she cried. Every tear she hadn’t been able to release when she needed to was spent now. Thankful that Cathan was gone for two days hunting, Rose allowed herself to feel every pent up emotion. Anger and sadness, joy and fear. All of which required her sobs.
It was evening and Rose still did not exit her room. She felt sickened how much she wanted to see his face again. She tried to tell herself about her husband and son, but every time Cathan’s face entered her mind she felt more and more disgusted with herself. Leaving that to be what it was for now, Rose stared at the ceiling, thinking about absolutely nothing.
She was just about to fall asleep when Wil entered the room. “Teo?” Rose asked guiltily?
“He’s been fine on solid food for awhile. He’s just grumpy.”
“Wil.”
“Forget it Rose”. Rose started to cry again while Wil brushed her hair out of her face. This time she didn’t cry longer than five minutes, much to her relief and was able to speak emotionlessly.
“Where is he?” she wanted to know.
“He’s staying the night. I’ll bring you food here.”
“No. I want to see him.”
“I don’t think-“
“Wil.” Rose sat up and took her worried friend’s hand. “It will be fine. I just need to see him. It’s now or never. Cathan is home tomorrow.” Seeing the logic in this, Wil conceded.
“What exactly did you two…talk about?” Rose asked innocently.
“I told him you were happy. He was hurt that you were married, though I doubt he’ll be a pig enough to say that to you, and…he was surprised.”
Rose was dumbfounded. “What?! What do you mean?”
“He had no idea, Rose. No idea that you thought he was…gone. He’d expected you to wait” she looked disgusted at this notion, “Though why I don’t think I’ll ever under- Rose where are you going?!”
Rose had jumped off the bed and was at the door. “I have to see him. Now.”

“What exactly did you two…talk about?” Rose asked innocently.
“I told him you were happy. He was hurt that you were married, though I doubt he’ll be a pig enough to say that to you, and…he was surprised.”
Rose was dumbfounded. “What?! What do you mean?”
“He had no idea, Rose. No idea that you thought he was…gone. He’d expected you to wait” she looked disgusted at this notion, “Though why I don’t think I’ll ever under- Rose where are you going?!”
Rose had jumped off the bed and was at the door. “I have to see him. Now.”
Rose walked briskly out the door, forgetting she had no idea where he was. Wil was at her heels. After a few minutes of arguing Rose convinced Wil to lead the way, begrudgingly of course, but she was going to him now all the same. Outside one of the bedroom doors, Rose noted was practically as far away from her own room as possible without being so far from the entrance that he’d be stuck with them forever, Wil and Rose paused.
Giving Rose one last earnest look Wil offered, “If you need anything...I will be right here.”
Rose shook her head imbuing much more bravery than she felt, and feeling strangely high. “I don’t want you within earshot.” Wil made a motion as if she were about to argue. But she closed her mouth and grimaced a concession before walking away. Rose waited until Wil was out of sight and earshot before moving. Not because of Wil, but because she suddenly realized she had no idea what to say to Briar. Briar. Up until now it had been mostly he. Now that his name was on her tongue, she couldn’t stop thinking his name over and over again.
Briar was standing when she entered, waiting. He must have heard her and Wil. They stared sadly at each other for what seemed like an eternity. There were two chairs in the room to which Briar motioned for them to sit. They did, neither one looking away. Rose was afraid that if she took her eyes off of him, just once, she wouldn’t be able to bring herself to look back.
Both nearly jumped out of their skins when the door was shoved open. Cathan walked in. He had never been loud, so Rose was surprised at this behavior as he marched over to her and Briar. Rose was afraid of what he might do, but he went to Rose. Taking her up into his arms and kissing her, Rose felt suddenly like she was part of some divine bet. When Cathan let go of her she saw only determination in his eyes, and in Briar’s a mix of bitterness and misery. She wanted to go to him, but she was feeling unfortunately too aware of the situation to do something idiotic.
“Cathan” She took his head in her hands and looked only into his face. She felt like she was lying. She felt like she was cheating. But she was unsure towards whom. “Please Cathan. I need you to trust me just this once.” Cathan stroked her face lovingly, but he didn’t respond. His eyes held some emotion Rose couldn’t read. This is bad, Rose knew. She had never seen him like this, which made the situation unpredictable. That’s the problem, she realized. He doesn’t know what’s going to happen.
Hugging his cheek to her own, she whispered into his ear so Briar couldn’t hear. No need to hurt anyone yet. “No matter what happens, I will come back to you and Teo.”
“Will you?” he asked her in a normal voice, pulling back to read her face.
“Yes.” Rose answered. Though she knew they both understood that neither of them knew this was completely true. Rose attempted to make her face as sincere as possible as a small sort of comfort, though given the circumstances she didn’t know if it was. Then she began to push him gently, all the way to the door. She led him to it, but she knew it was his choice whether or not to open it and walk through. He did slowly, but he pulled her out with him. She struggled against him lightly but he whispered, “wait”. And she stopped. He shut the door behind them.
The hall was too dark to see, which was comforting. Rose was hating every moment she had to look into his hurt face. Wil must have purposefully left the lights unlit to keep Cathan from finding them. Whole lot of good that did. But she was grateful for the attempt.
They stood in the dark for ten minutes, each one dragging on. But it was a good, comforting, intimate feeling as they held each other in silence.
Finally Rose spoke. “I have to go back in.”
“I love you” Cathan reminded her as he let her go. Rose nodded, forgetting he couldn’t see. Then kissed him as if it were a promise. She just hoped she could keep her promise.
Those minutes with her husband made Briar seem a distant memory again in her mind. She reentered his room strengthened. But the moment she saw his face, all doubts returned again. If only he had never been her best friend. If only he had never loved her at all. But it seemed like Briar’s love for her was as much a part of her as her love for her husband and son. She knew she’d never be able to ignore it, no matter how hard she tried and how far he went now that she knew he would be somewhere in the world, loving her.

The entirety of the next three days, Rose and Briar spent together. Only with the exception of eating, and feeding the baby did they cease to speak. They discussed everything. Every moment they had spent apart, neither one of them could get enough. But it still wasn’t enough. Cathan kept out of the way for the most part. In fact, he seemed to be fearful of running into the pair. Even Wil and Rye acted strangely, which stung Rose in a way she hadn’t considered.
Briar was intent on meeting Teo. Rose was at first unsure, it was mixing two very separate worlds. But then again, this whole situation was. But the moment she saw Briar hold her son, the picture was nothing short of perfection. She could suddenly see it: herself with Briar and Teo as a family. But the picture disappeared quickly at Briar’s words.
“He looks like Cathan.” Rose nearly gasped at his words. But years of living with Rye could heal any wrong words.
“We all assumed Rye donated most of his looks.”
“I’m sorry” Briar said looking at Teo again.
Rose winced. “So am I”.
Briar’s laugh made her jump. “I meant for looking like Rye.”
“Oh.” She had to smile at the misunderstanding, but it only reopened the issue at hand.
After returning Teo to his father, Wil, and Rye, they were finally forced to talk about the serious problem before them. Or else to something drastic that would hurt many people. As an outsider, Rose could see the answer immediately. She had so many responsibilities to so many people, and it was not as if she didn’t love Cathan. But she and Briar also had too much of a past to simply ignore. There was no solution, and she realized it. And she told Briar as much, reveling in every moment how honest she could be with him.
“I know” was all he said. Then he kissed her. She felt manipulated but she couldn’t tear herself away from him. They’d been doing a lot of that since he’d been back. She couldn’t feel guilty about being with the person she understood, and who understood her, most.

The next morning Rose awoke feeling very…right. She had fallen asleep in the chair when she tried to stay up all night, but somehow the pain in her neck did nothing to take away from the perfection she felt. Briar was dressed in traveling clothes, just staring at her when she opened her eyes.
“Where are you going?” she asked with a yawn and a smile.
Briar returned her smile lovingly, but sadly. Rose felt her stomach drop and she sat up.
“Briar.” Her voice was slightly panicked now.
“I love you.” Those words had never sounded so full of life. But those were the words she least wanted to hear; she feared them.
Briar was among the most selfish of people she had ever met. She could not believe him now. Running to him she grabbed his arms and kissed him. He kissed her every bit as passionately back, which frightened her. She tore herself away and slapped him. He took a step towards her and she slapped him again. Her heart had never felt so broken. Not when he’d left before, not when he’d returned.
“I shouldn’t have returned.” She wanted to answer him, to give him an angry reply as lovers do when hurt in the worst ways. But she was incapable of it as if each slap was on her own cheek, on her own heart. Her knees weakened as she collapsed. She never actually lost consciousness, but she could no longer rely on her own strength. He caught her but his touch felt so welcome she would have rather hit the floor.
He must have realized, must have felt it too. But he didn’t say a word as she let her sobs come, and simply carried her to the bed and lay her down. Having never been much of a crier before his return, the tears felt like acid and they frightened Briar. But after he set her down he didn’t touch her. Not even to wipe away her tears.
Briar waited until she cried herself to sleep, much more weary from these exertions than from physical labor to which she was accustomed, and he left. He was always the one who served himself. Seeing what he had caused in her, what his presence made her become, hurt worse than leaving, or so he told himself. He wouldn’t know until he walked out the door. He had counted on her strength to make him leave. Since she couldn’t it would have to be him.
Luckily, the others were not awake yet, as it was early morning and not having windows was fairly detrimental to waking early. Thus Briar was able to commit his first act of unselfishness in his entire life.
© Copyright 2009 Armenta Stacey (poetailagu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1538856-Flash-Fiction-Entry-What-If