*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539224-Ziggy--the-Strawberry-Patch---Chap-12
by Ziglet
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1539224
Ziggy, your average gnome, and his journey to the strawberry patch
Ziggy and the Strawberry Patch

Ziggy
Ziglet, or Ziggy, as some call him, is your average gnome. He has a full head of hair that is covered most of the time by a wrinkled, black hat. Ziggy opened the window to his mushroom house to let the sunlight in. Most gnomes in Rufferton live in mushroom houses. The mushrooms are yellow and green with blue polka dots and very stiff and tall, Ziggy's home is only 50 years old, so it's in good condition. Ziggy loves early mornings and starts his day by brewing ginger root tea. The best part is eating the tulip cup afterwards. Gnomes are known for not being wasteful.

Today is a special day for Ziggy. It was the first day of the Strawberry Harvest. The Strawberry Harvest is a big deal for all gnomes, but this holiday holds a special place in Ziggy's heart. Every year, his family  prepared for this holiday. His mom and dad would pack a big lunch and they would all travel together, past Rancko's cove, past the Sassafrass river, to the Strawberry Patch. They would travel on their friend, Biadro, the nicest fire ant on this side of the Sassafrass River. Biadro always helped Ziggy and his family for as long as he could remember. Once Ziggy and his family arrived at the Strawberry Patch, they would each choose 3 huge strawberries and Biadro would take them back home. In return for the yearly trip, the gnomes would collect extra nuts and grass for Biadro.

This year Ziggy would be making this trip on his own. Ziggy did not like to think about being alone, so he concentrated on packing his lunch. Of course he included ginger root tea, a staple for all gnomes. He also packed an almond sandwich, which would have to last for the whole trip since it's a 2 day travel to the Strawberry Patch on foot. Biadro has not been feeling well so Ziggy is going alone and on foot this year. He knew it was going to be a long trip, but he looked forward to staying at Rancko's cove and meeting his friend Achitey at Sassafrass River.

After Ziggy finished packing he closed the door behind him and turned to look at his house. He felt a little nervous going to The Strawberry Patch by himself, but he was not going to let a few butterflies in his stomach stop him. It was still early so only a few neighbors were up and about. He could hear kids calling for their moms, others opening their windows and he could also smell the bittersweet aroma of ginger root tea. He waved at Mr. Monticello on his way out of the town. Mr. Monticello's house is the last house on the path through town and he is usually posted on the porch keeping watch over Rufferton. Mr. Monticello was 150 years old, the wisest gnome in Rufferton. He had been through many wars between gnome families and seen many changes in Rufferton and other towns in the forest.

Mr Monticello blubbered to Ziggy “Have a safe trip young gnome. Be careful on your journey.”
“Thanks, Mr. Monticello, I'll be safe. See you in a few days!” Ziggy exclaimed, as his journey started.

The journey to Rancko's cove.

The sun was shining as Ziggy left Rufferton. In the springtime one always had to be careful of sudden rain, but there were no clouds in the sky, so Ziggy wasn't worried.  Gnomes are friendly creatures and cooperate well with all other animals and insects in the forest. Gnomes are also very talkative and love to have conversations with everyone they meet. Ziggy knew that if he stopped to talk to everyone he would be off schedule but he did not want to damage his reputation, so he waved to the grasshoppers and shouted “Hello!” to the red birds, and “Super Morning!” to all the other creatures he saw. He knew that as long as he kept a steady pace and only stopped to eat and rest for about 15 minutes he would make to Rancko's cove before nightfall. The forest is friendly enough during the day, but could be dangerous at night.

After about 4 hours of travel, Ziggy got hungry. He found a shady spot, with soft fallen leaves and set his knapsack down. He took out his tulip cup and began to brew his ginger root tea. He also took out a portion of his almond sandwich and began to munch away. He ate so fast, some of the ginger dust fell onto his shoes. Luckily they are made of pea pods and can be easily cleaned. As Ziggy ate and drank, he began to admire his surroundings. There were many colors here in this part of the forest. Brighter than the ones in Rufferton. The blues seemed to mesmerize you and the reds seemed exciting and shiny. The plants were a little taller, and he noticed that the tulips here had orange, purple, yellow and red all in one, instead of the blue tulips he was used to in Rufferton. The soft leaves he was sitting on had a twinkle of greens, browns, and yellows.

Ziggy was about finished when a beautiful green and blue butterfly floated into his view. It was the most beautiful butterfly he had ever seen. Even when traveling with mom and dad, never did Ziggy see a butterfly like this one. She had beautiful green spots on bright blue wings. They sparkled and danced as she dipped and fluttered towards him. Suddenly, she began to fall, not gracefully as before, but haphazardly, jerking back and forth, and then spiraling. Ziggy started running towards her and as he got closer he heard a crash. Fearing the worst he dropped his knapsack and his beloved ginger root tea and ran as fast as his pea pod covered feet would carry him.

He got to the butterfly and approached quietly.
He called to her timidly, “Miss, Miss butterfly, are you ok?” He heard nothing.
He cleared his throat and spoke a little louder “ugh, miss, um butterfly, are you ok? My name is Ziggy and I am a friendly gnome. Are you ok? Do you need help?”
Ziggy knew had no experience with butterflies, but he knew he had to do something. As he crept closer, the butterfly started to stir.
She sat up and muttered “not again...crazy crispy critters! NOT AGAIN! I can't believe it!”
Ziggy sighed in relief and exclaimed “I am so happy you are ok! My name is Ziggy and I am traveling to the strawberry patch! I was afraid you were hurt and I don't know much about butterflies and was so worried, bu-t, but  you're ok!”
The butterfly stood up and towered over Ziggy and replied “How dare you approach me. I am a butterfly! The MADAME butterfly! Don't you know that we are respected? This is our part of the forest. What are you doing here gnome? Ha! You are the tiniest gnome I've ever seen. Are you a baby? Well no, you look older than a baby. Are you a teenage gnome? Do your parents know where you are young gnome?”

“I am NOT a baby gnome. I am 50 years old. Old enough to be hiking in the forest alone,” Ziggy replied indignantly. Ziggy instantly regretted meeting this butterfly.

He started to leave when he heard her declare “Young gnome you are not dismissed. Since you were so bold to approach me, you will help me gather rutabaga roots for me to make a tea.”
“What?!” Ziggy screeched, “I don't have to help you. I have met many butterflies before and none have acted like you. I am a friendly gnome, but I do not have to take your abuse or help you.”
Madame Buttefly frowned and suddenly the green spots on her wings turned black and she looked menacingly at Ziggy and snarled “I could crush you right now young gnome. I have never had anyone speak to me in such a vile tone."

At once, Madame changed her wings again, but this time they were a soft pink with pale yellow circles. "My young gnome friend, I am in need of assistance. I do need these roots in order for me to continue my travel. Will you help me gather them? In return, I shall carry you to your destination, as long as it is not too far. I know this Strawberry Patch you speak of, but I am afraid I tire too easily these days. What do you say?" Ziggy was confused. At one moment this butterfly was angry and at the next so warm and kind. He was not sure he could trust her, but if he did help her, he knew he could get to Rancko's Cove early and have a chance to meet with friends.

"I will help you Madame Butterfly and in return you can take me to Rancko's Cove," Ziggy told her sternly. Madame Butterfly's wings went back to their original green and blue color and she replied "You have made a wise decision. Let's begin our search." Ziggy was not sure how wise his decision was, but he began the search, hoping Madame Butterfly would keep her word.

As Ziggy and Madame Butterfly searched the ground for Rutabaga roots, Ziggy began to to think about his mom and dad. Last year, after the Strawberry Harvest, his parents announced a year long trip, without Ziggy. His parents were wanting to travel the forest and visit friends and family they had not seen since Ziggy had been born. Ziggy's parents were not born in Rufferton. They had been banished from their hometown of Mappidash for reasons his parents chose not to discuss with Ziggy. After Ziggy turned 50, his parents made the decision to go back to Mappidash and try to reunite with friends and family, hoping that enough time had passed and old wounds had healed. Ziggy hoped his parents were having a good time, and could not wait to see them again soon.
“Young gnome! Why are you staring into space? Don't you want to get to your destination? I need my rutabaga roots!” Madame yelled. It seemed to Ziggy that this butterfly could not decide if she was happy, mad or sad. Oh well, Ziggy thought, at least I can be rid of her at Rancko's cove.

After a few hours or searching they found the roots Madame needed. She ground them up with her legs by stomping on them as fast as Ziggy had ever seen a creature move. Once she was done, she flew up to a tall rose bush and scooped nectar onto her legs, and flew back down and started to roll around on the crushed Rutabaga roots. Ziggy could not believe his eyes, “Madame, are you ok?” Ziggy cried. He thought maybe she was having another episode. Madame was moving to fast for Ziggy to approach, but eventually she was done. When she stood up, Madame was even more beautiful than before. She shined so bright as if a drop of sunshine fell right on her.
“Madame, aren't you going to eat these roots? I thought they were for your health,” Ziggy asked her.
“You really are a young gnome,” she cackled, “I must be beautiful and shiny at all times, and as for that little accident from before, well, that was nothing to concern yourself about. Butterfly business you see. You would not understand.”
Ziggy muttered “I can't believe it... All this time...I thought I was helping...but she wants to be pretty...”
Suddenly Ziggy was flying in the air. His feet were hanging and flapping in the wind as the ground got further and further away from him.
“Ok Ziggy, where are we going?” Madame asked.
“To Rancko's Cove,” Ziggy replied.
Ziggy had never flown before. It was amazing. The forest zoomed by his eyes so fast he could not really focus on one thing. All he saw were colors and creatures and other things he had never seen before. He never realized how tiny he was until this very moment. They flew for what seemed like only a few minutes, and suddenly he was on the ground again. Once he gathered his bearings, Ziggy looked around and realized he was at Rancko's cove, and right at sunset. He pulled out some ginger root tea and went to offer it to Mamade Butterfly, but she was already flying off in the distance. Ziggy was happy. He had finally made it to Rancko's Cove.

Rancko's Cove

© Copyright 2009 Ziglet (ziglet11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539224-Ziggy--the-Strawberry-Patch---Chap-12