*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540261-One-Smile-at-a-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1540261
You've never heard of her but read this and you will never forget, Emily Tucker.
Someone who has had a significant impact on the world? Well, that ones easy...

She teaches people about life without even trying. She simply lives it. She enjoys it and smiles through the toughest things. She knows tough things but ask anyone about her and they will not say that "that girl with cancer", they will say "that girl who organized the clothing drive or the hospital volunteers", "that girl who works with those kids", "that girl with the cookies", "that girl who gave me a ride that one time", "that girl who is always smiling". This is my friend Emily Tucker and from the first day I met her she changed my life.

She chooses happiness every day, not just for herself but for everyone she meets. She does great things but you will never hear her talking about them, rather you will hear her talking about the next thing to do. Just to get a feel for her daily activities, this is a typical day: 4am she is at work, at a bakery, she loves it, a 20 year old who actually loves her job. After work she goes to school (she is completing her four year degree in two and a half), except for the days she has to go to the hospital to get chemotherapy. She also teaches a social justice class at a local high school one day each week. On her day off from work she takes care of a Will, the son of a friend of hers. She volunteers with cancer patients visiting whenever she has time, at least once a week. She has helped organize countless events on and off campus for different organizations and makes herself available to anyone and everyone. I don't know if she sleeps at the end of the day.

We don't talk about her cancer all that much, its not that we avoid it, but more that there is so much more in her life than cancer. Emily has set the tone, there is no time to wast on being sad, it does no good. So we are happy, and we pray that finally this treatment will work but we don't wait for it, we can't spend our time waiting. We live, she lives.

What Emily is to us, her friends, is simply that, a great friend. We go to dinner, watch movies, do regular stuff. If you need her she is going to be there for you. I'm lucky to live in the same city but I know she has driven for hours just to hang out with a friend for one night and then drive back. When she is with you, it is all about you and her, no one else (except sometimes she falls asleep!).

I love Emily and I can't imagine life without her.


***UPDATE***
Emily is in Thailand! She took a job there after she graduated, she is working with Burmese refugees. She is going to start chemo once again and this time it will work, IT WILL WORK. It is amazing how everything falls into place with her, a new life, a new job, a new treatment and always keeping up with her life here at home. I miss her, but I know she is doing what she wants, she is happy, and most importantly she only signed a one year contract, so she will be back! lets see about 300 days to go...
© Copyright 2009 Cara Brand (carabrand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540261-One-Smile-at-a-Time