*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540705-A-Too-Close-Encounter
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1540705
Written for "We Like Short Shorts" Contest.
The possum under the birbath.

A Too Close Encounter


         Looking out the window into the backyard I noticed the birdbath bowl was upside down on the ground. "Too fat squirrel," I mumbled as I went out to place it back on its pedestal.

         Gingerly, I put my fingers under one side and lifted. Suddenly something stuck its nose out the opening. Jumping back I dropped the concrete bowl!

         This warranted gloves and a shovel. I proceeded to arm myself. Standing as far away as I could, I eased the tip of the shovel under the bowl, slowly pushing down the handle to lift it. Nothing. Feeling braver, I pushed a little more. Faster than a flash of lightning an ugly pinkish thing streaked past me to scurry through a hole in the fence.

         Seconds later my brain registered possum as I sat on the ground looking around to see if anyone was watching.


150 words
© Copyright 2009 Happy May 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540705-A-Too-Close-Encounter