*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541679-Nice-day-for-a-white-wedding
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Yolli
Rated: · Short Story · Death · #1541679
Incomplete short story about the games your mind can play on you.
The wind chimed around the corners of the barn, opening the door quietly and shutting it with an angrily force. The rusted lock rattled each time the two wooden panels connected but just dangled from the hook as if it did not want to get involved in the fight!

Here comes the bride…
Bessie looked into the mirror! This is it! Today is her big day and nothing in this cruel world could ever spoil it for her.
All dressed in white…
Rows of chairs decorated the dry patchy backyard lawn. Ribbons fluttered in the wind contortioning against their own will.
Locks of blond hair dangled on her shoulders and the pout of fiery red lips decorated her flawless, pale face.

The uninvited dark clouds crept up behind the barn, anxious to be involved in the festivities. Her silky nightgown slipped down her curved body, landing in a puddle at her feet. She stepped into her special dress and could hear the crowd gathering in the backyard. The clouds started to weep for the future sins they could not prevent!

She slipped her feet into silky flat shoes, zipped her dress and gazed into a picture of perfection. The sweet smell of St Joseph’s lilies filled the room as she opened the door, lifted her dress on both sides and headed towards her bouquet. The quests were silent, waiting in anticipation for her to make a grand appearance. The once dry backyard was now slightly muddy and she dipped her feet into the earth, starting her journey to eternity.

The quests gasped, clutching their mouths in awe of her flawless beauty. The wind lost interest in the barn and moved closer to witness an event that the world would never see again. No tugging, no tears just the perfect moment on a perfect day!

“Do you Bessie Day, take this man to be….?”  The wind ruffled its body and took a step closer.
“I do!” she said in a soft voice carried by the wind to pierce the ears of her guests.
“Do you Alex take this woman…?”
Silence…
“Alex?”
Silence!
Her blond locks flattened out on her shoulders as the rain attempted to comfort her, to hold her close, to make sense of it for one last time!
Her ice white bouquet shattered on the pudgy earth next to her drenched silky shoes.
“Alex! Get up dammit!”
She fell to her knees. The crowd now silent as the earth crept up slowly along her gown, to consume the whole of her; forever and ever amen!

Bessie’s perfect day became a reality of truths as she shook the limp body of Alex Sutton.
“Alex! You bastard! You get up right this minute, do you hear me!?” Every emotion Bessie had ever experienced streamed from the pools of her cool eyes, down her neck, down, down into the darkens…

Plastic chairs lied scattered all over the backyard. The crowd had vanished without a trace.

© Copyright 2009 Yolli (yolande at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541679-Nice-day-for-a-white-wedding