*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541706-I-Love-My-Family
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1541706
A non-fiction book in my 4 year-old daughter's voice.
I have a family, just like you probably do. I don’t know about your family, but my family is broken. We live together, but we all have issues. (It means we have problems.) I still love them because they are my family and we are an eternal family because my mom and dad were married in the temple.

My daddy is funny and I love to play with him. I like it most when we spend time together. We play “tickle bugs”, make dinner, and watch my favorite cartoons. He makes sure I can go to school and ride horses. Mommy says he is our breadwinner. I don’t get it – he never brings bread home, just papers!

My daddy gets very distracted sometimes and doesn’t always understand what mommy is saying. Mommy told me he has ADD and was hurt badly when he was a boy. His brain and feelings don’t always work like everyone thinks they should. We have had to move a lot because he made some bad decisions. His heart also might have an attack, which sounds scary to me.

My mommy is the best mommy. I spend most of my day with her. She teaches me lots of things – numbers, letters, how to cook and stuff like that. We also do lots of arts and crafts. I like drawing with markers and using scissors to make pretty shapes. She takes me for long walks to the store and helps me learn about nature.

Mommy is diabetic and she has to wear an insulin pump. I'm not sure what that means, but it gives her medicine all the time. Sometimes we have to stop playing so she can test her blood. She might need to eat to feel better. One time my daddy had to come home from work and take her to the hospital. I was very scared, but she came home soon. When she is very sick, she will tell me all about how we are sealed together forever and that she will always be my mommy.

This is my older sister, Courtney. She is very smart and funny. We like to play pet shop and set up towns for our pets and they visit each other. We built mazes for them one time. Another time, we made a circus with them. She has lots of fun ideas. She also knows many jokes – some of them are funny.

Like my daddy, Courtney has ADD. She also has asthma and some allergies. I have to remind her to “stay on task” when we play. One time she forgot me at a friends house. I tried to walk home by myself but I got scared and cried really loud. My mommy heard me and Courtney got in trouble. I wasn’t mad at her. I was very sad that she was so distracted. We will always be sisters, forever because of Jesus Christ. That makes me happy.

Now it’s my turn. My name is Amber. I love my family and I know that we are going to be together forever. I love everyone in my family because they are special in their own way. We all do different things, but we all enjoy doing things together. I like when we have Family Home Evening and do family activities.

My problem is that I have one kidney. I guess I’m supposed to have two of them. Mommy explained to me what they do and that having two is the best way. Kidneys help clean your blood and you have two in case one breaks. Since I only have one, I have to be careful so it won’t break.

My mommy knows so much about kidneys because of her diabetes. She explained to me that she has two kidneys, but they don’t work very well. She has to take medicine for them and that might not stop them from breaking all the way.

If her kidneys stop working then she will need to get one from someone else. She said her sister might be able to give her one. Mommy told me that if I need one, my sister might give me one of hers. It sounds scary because I don’t know how they would do that. My sister said I can have one of her kidneys if I need it.

I get scared talking about this sometimes, but my mommy and daddy talk to us about the Plan of Salvation. They explained to me that Heavenly Father made a plan and that temples are part of them. The Savior (another name for Jesus Christ) died and was resurrected so we could have temples and live with our families and Heavenly Father forever.

Knowing all of this helps me to not be scared. Even if something bad happens and one of us dies, I know I will see them again and we will still be a family. I do get sad about my friends who aren’t sealed. My mommy gets sad because she isn’t sealed to her sister or mommy. She says that when it’s the right time, I can go to the temple to help my whole family and other people be sealed.

I have talked for a long time. But I wanted to tell you that my favorite Primary song is “I’m Going to See the Temple”. I will go to the temple and go inside to pray and help people be sealed so they can live with their families and Heavenly Father.
© Copyright 2009 dadwrites (slbrink42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541706-I-Love-My-Family