*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1544260-Trouble
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1544260
poltergeist, humans, love, friendship. can you let me know what you think.
Chapter one: Meeting
As Stephanie played volleyball she suddenly wondered why someone would create this sport. It was invented to cause trouble to everyone that hated sports, not only did you have to have stamina, which she does have, but you also need to have hand and eye coordination, which again she is quite good at, but this is all tied together with the pointlessness of hitting a ball over a net and waiting to see if the other team can return it. Steph, which is what she wanted everyone to call her, mouthed to her best friend Ronnie “please don’t hit the ball in this direction.” She waited until she got the classic Ronnie eye sparkle, which told her exactly what she had hoped wouldn’t happen. The head to head challenge of Ronnie and Steph was not something that people liked to get in the way of. When all the spectators were out of the way the girls took on the challenge, jumping and running and hitting the ball at ferocious speeds. Obviously they couldn’t continue the challenge because Mrs Appleton took it upon herself to stop the girls before it got out of hand. Steph and Ronnie gave each other the ever so famous ‘I could have beat you look’, knowing that the other would have given a very close competition. Ronnie swayed to her position and looked over towards Steph giving her the head nod that was to show that she would hit it in her direction again. Steph gave the same head nod back but felt less superior to Ronnie because at 6 foot 6 inches and with legs and a body to die for everyone envied her and her best friend isn’t any different. She felt plain and ordinary to Ronnie’s beauty. Knowing all the time that if she wasn’t her best friend she would have loads of people queuing up to be her best friend, but Ronnie didn’t see it this way, she sees it as Steph is her best friend and always will be and no one can take her place.
Steph knew that she wasn’t ugly just plain and average. She obviously didn’t see herself clearly. Steph was in no way plain and average. She is 5 ft 7 and she has a slender figure with shining brunette hair and blue eyes. She is stunning to all the males at the school.
Ronnie and Steph made perfect friends and everyone knew that so most people stayed away from the pair that was in sync so much that they walked the same way, talked the same way, dressed the same way and finished each other’s sentences. They could even communicate through looks and movements. No one had a friendship like Ronnie and Steph. They both knew the other was not perfect and they both thought of each other as clumsy but in Steph’s case it was a lot more than that. She wasn’t clumsy herself but thanks to her so called gift she was thought of as clumsy. Thanks to this gift Steph has to pretend she is extremely clumsy otherwise people might ask questions. Now, Ronnie on the other hand is clumsy but only when she is not playing sports, when she is playing sports Ronnie is super she can score any goal and can conquer any new challenge set. Although, Steph also had the conquering down, even though unlike Ronnie she didn’t like the sports she could do most sports. She could do this because although she didn’t look athletic, just toned, she is in great shape. She has to train because of her gift. She had to make it so that she could run out of the way, or hit so hard that she had time to move out of the way and have the strength and flexibility to climb just about anything and to dodge out of the way.
Steph’s gift seemed very special as she has never found someone that has the same gift. No one has ever reported that they could talk, touch and fight poltergeist. She knew some people existed because she did have to research what she had to do to get rid of them as that was her job. Her job was to get rid of nuisances. She needed to meet another ‘special’ person just so that she could share her secret with someone. This is the biggest secret she has to keep and although it isn’t really a secret because she created an online blog, obviously not in her name, describing every poltergeist’s story and how she managed to get around them and to get rid of them. Of course everyone thought she was an amazing story writer and loads of people tuned in to read them every month. That is how often she wrote them. She wrote them every month so then no one got suspicious thinking they were more than stories. She couldn’t even tell Ronnie what her secret was because no matter how understanding she was of Steph she wouldn’t understand this because it couldn’t be explained by science. While Steph herself was more of an English geek, Ronnie was a sport and science geek because they both helped each other be explained. Steph could believe the myths because she doesn’t need science to have an explanation to everything where as Ronnie doesn’t believe anything mythical or legendary because she needs science to explain everything.
            “Thank god the bell!” is what all the fifth period P.E class were thinking. They all skipped out of the gym and Ronnie, being the Ronnie everyone loved, tripping over her feet tumbled hard to her feet. Steph bent down to make sure her best friend was ok. Just at that moment she saw a glowing outline in the corner of her eye. Knowing instantly what the glowing was coming from, she looked up and saw a perfect face that had a perfect body to match. Finally noticing someone was looking at him, he looked at Stephanie and nodded his head and then suddenly disappeared. Now, Steph was used to seeing poltergeist, after all that was her job, but this poltergeist left her breathless and shook up. Realising that Ronnie was holding out a hand, she took Ronnie’s hand and pulled her to her feet.
    Practically jumping into the car Steph raced towards her house where she was pretty sure the perfect poltergeist would be waiting for her. She wondered why someone that perfect and delicious was a poltergeist; if he had to be dead she would have thought that he would have been a ghost. She made it home in record speed. Usually, the journey from school to her house took her 25 minutes but today it took her all of 15 minutes to get home. Her mother looked shocked as she walked in the house. “Why are you home so early?” Her mother asked suspiciously. “I beat all the traffic so I was quite quick.” Steph answered her mother with the partial truth; well it hadn’t been busy because she had practically dived out of the school gates. “I’m going to go and see if dad has emailed me a reply yet. Don’t forget I asked if I could stay with him for a couple of weeks in summer, which is only a couple of weeks away.” She said completely honestly, this time. Her mother eyed her with suspicion but then seeing the honesty in her eyes let her escape to her room, Where to be truthful she did turn her laptop on and did start to sign in to her email account while still searching for the perfect poltergeist. As it was loading she opened an internet site on mobile phones. She wanted one so then she wouldn’t have to wait for emails that answered her questions. She wondered if poltergeist could send her texts. She thought she would do some research but before doing the research she checked her email, which had now loaded, where she had 35 unread emails waiting for her to read them. Opening her father’s reply first, She held her breath, and then when realising he was saying that she could go she started jumping up and down and started to scream. She heard her mother come up the stairs as she had heard screaming. She shouted out that she was fine anyway but her mother wanted to check for herself. Opening the door, she eyed Steph with caution making sure that nothing was wrong. “Dad said I could go!” Steph said by way of explanation of why she was screaming.
© Copyright 2009 XxSammiixX (xxsammiixx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1544260-Trouble