*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546622-In-His-Name
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Gabe
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1546622
A story of anger, betrayal, murder, and redemption.
In His Name


For hundreds of years, the mortal plane was guest of many of “The Fallen”, Angels who somehow fell from the Kingdom and God’s good graces. 

Many lived secluded lives, choosing not to identify themselves in order to avoid persecution and unwanted fame or infamy. 

Some lived amongst their Earth counterparts, conducting miracles and doing their best to serve the greater good in the hopes of redeeming their past mistakes. 

And even further some chose to take their own lives, instantly damning their once immortal souls to eternal punishment and service under Lucifer himself.

But one, and only one, decided to turn his knowledge, anger, and power into something else entirely, and in turn changed the fate of both worlds forever…


_____________________________________________________________



“Did you think that there would be no repercussions?”  The question was almost rhetorical at this point, as was the man paced back and forth between the forthcoming victims.  “None of you figured that you would need to pay for these sins?”  Again, the question seemed almost moot at the present time, while the terrified men would continue to whimper and moan through the rags placed into their mouths.

“See…we didn’t do anything about it because that little thing you people take for granted called free will,” His finger rubbed gently against the trigger of the weapon he held almost fondly, “but days like today are why free will can cost you more then just humanity related legal problems.”

BANG!!

The weapon was discharged, followed by louder moans and restless ruffling by the subdued victims.  He took several steps toward the window of the small, cold room that almost instantaneously smelled of death and destruction.  Golden glowing eyes would stare out at the twinkling lights of the city, millions going about their business without even so much as a hint of the violence taking place in this very room.  “I didn’t ask for God to do this to me.”  Now the man would attempt to rationalize with the others, taking a seat where all of them could stare at him in fear.  “But, apparently, I was much like all of you, doing things I should not have, questioning his power.”

With that the weapon was raised again, pointed at the face of the oldest man of the group, tears streaming down his face, head shaking in the hope it would evoke mercy by his killer.  “Now I’m here to deliver the justice.”

                             BANG!!

“That God refused to give to all of you.”  Once more the bright flash, the silent exit of the man’s life force, and the now familiar spray of blood would coat the man sitting opposite of the individual just executed. Again he stood, beginning that anxious pace once more.  “It doesn’t bother me having to clean up after the Lord’s mess.  I mean he was the one who gave you fools the ability to exercise free will.”  A hand would come to stroke against his chin, as though he was in deep thought, stopping to cross his arms over but keeping the hand in position.

“I just had a thought.”  He’d once more take his place in the only empty chair, looking around between the last four still alive.  “See originally I was going to kill all of you…but I think at least one of you should walk out of this place alive so you can tell the whole world what I’m going to do.”  All of the muffled men attempted to speak through their gag, but to no avail as the aggressor continued to talk.  “And when the whole world knows that I’m here to cleanse it, maybe then I’ll be able to return to the Kingdom.”  Weapon was lifted again, meeting its place between the eyes of the next victim. 

                             BANG!!

Again the explosion of gunpowder, the violent, sickening crack against the victim’s skull, and another fountain of blood was to flow.  Strangely, not a single drop of any of the blood that was spew about had touched this aggressor’s clothing, his perfect white outfit still looked as though it was just adorned.  A body length leather trench coat, a skin tight spandex style shirt, white leather pants, and white leather loafers gave him an almost mafia boss type look.  A bunching of golden blonde locks were a matching color to his eyes, now searching between the final three men.

“While I am sure that the few of you that are left believe what I am doing to be absolutely against the his word…I assure you that none of you have the knowledge of the…rules shall we say…that I do.”  Both hands were placed behind his back, as he began a semi casual stroll around the circle of chairs he’d created.  “See, when you all took an oath to serve the Lord you took it in blind faith, unsure of whether or not there really was anything out there.  After all, belief in the system is nothing more then truly blind faith right?” 

He wouldn’t look at any of them now, still continuing that circular prowl.  “Yet, even though you were all absolutely sure that what you were doing was wrong you did it anyway.  I mean…God gave you all free will to give you the opportunity to gain his good graces and find your way into the Kingdom.  Instead you took advantage of the blind faith of those who worshipped under you, especially the children.”

Eyes would now lock onto one of the two middle aged men left, a slight smirk crossing his own face before his device that would deliver death so swiftly was lifted again.  “Unfortunately, I do sort of a get a sense of pleasure about doing this.  I had to watch you mortals waste your lives with lust and selfish greed for thousands of years while I served so faithfully.”

                             BANG!!

Another loud, painful explosion, another body slumped over, lifeless with a river of blood streaming quickly down the man’s form, soaking his uniform.  “The Lord decided to give me a chance to punish you horrible sinners.  To smite those who did wrong onto the innocent and blind faithful.”  He would take his seat again, sitting casually with his right leg resting atop his left knee, that foot kicking just slightly as though he was growing bored.  “Now it is just a choice of which of you I leave to spread the word.  Even though we sent plenty of prophets and saviors for you mortals you have never truly headed the warning they gave.”

Sitting up, he’d smoothen out his jacket, now studying each of the men with a new sense of genuine curiosity.  “Hmm…I wonder if letting you each plead your case might make a difference.  Surely, at least one of you can give me a logical reason not to remove you from this life and send you to the Gates.”  With a quick stand and approach he would walk to each man, removing the rags and toss them to the floor before taking his place back in the empty chair.  All three stared at him in terror, none even considering uttering a word yet.

“Now that you are all once again given the opportunity to exercise free thought and free will, plead to me your cases as to why I should let you walk out of this room.”  The weapon was now used as a pointer, a way to anoint whoever he felt should speak at the moment, which was the man all the way to his left.

Nervously, the man stuttered out a response that could only be characterized as typical.  “Please…I…I will do anything you ask…”

“You see, this is the problem, I already informed you of what you are to do once you step out of this room, and that is to inform the rest of the mortal world that I am here and that the sinners will pay.  Are you willing to do that?”

“Yes…”

“Even in the moments before your death you are unable to speak truth…tell Saint Peter I send my best regards.”

“No! Wait!”

                             BANG!!

A grunt, and the body was slumped over, both the remaining men screaming in terror, tears streaming down their faces as they were again witness to the execution of one of their own.

“Now, you, young one, tell me why I should allow you to leave this room…” The game was started again, a man in maybe his early twenties stared at the barrel of the gun now pointing lifelessly toward the floor.  Finally he spoke, barely able to squeak out a noise.

“I…I am young…I will carry your word with all my power…and…and I will have learned never to do the horrible things I did before this day…” His words were weak and timid, but he managed to impress, his bottom lip still quivering after he finished speaking.

“That was the honesty and true word that I have been looking for, you should feel proud of yourself.  I look into your eyes and see that you do understand what you have done is wrong, and that you will carry my word forth.”  Golden eyes were now turned toward the other man, who had begun shaking his head as soon as he heard the affirmation by the attacker.

“You must not believe him! He lies! He is young and is a trickster!”

“No…it is you that is the trickster.  Your life prior to this very moment tells me that you are incapable of truth.  Like your colleague before you, please tell Saint Peter I said hello.”  For the final time that weapon was raised…

                             BANG!!

And the final life of this day was taken, leaving only the young man quivering in fear.  Lifting to his feet, the attacker slowly approached the lone survivor, grasping his chin with his left hand, holding the weapon close to the man’s face.  “You have seen what this can do…I suggest you do as I said before his life was lost and you tell the whole world what you saw here…hopefully your fear and honesty will strike a chord in the minds of the wicked.  And if not…well then I have plenty of time to continue my crusade.”

The leather-clad man waved his hand before the survivor, his bindings and gag were gone, but the blood on his black cloak still remained, as did some on the stole.  His weapon was now holstered using that same hand to help the young priest to his feet.  “The upholders of law in your world will think of me as a killer.  But, once your spread the word of my mission I am sure things will be better.”

“Your…mission?”  The man was still in somewhat of a state of shock, eyes darting back and forth between the bodies that sat in each chair, still bound, lifeless, puddles of blood having formed under each.  “What mission?”

“The mission to save you mortals from self annihilation and damnation.”

“People will think I am crazy…”

“That was the same reaction the son of the Lord received…trust that what I tell you is true.  I will spill all the blood I feel needs to be spilled until my mission is complete.”

“Who do I tell them you are?”

“Azrael…”

“The…the Angel of Death?!”

“The same…” And with that the man was gone, vanished into thin air, as though he had not even so much as existed.   

The young priest stood dumbfounded, wondering if what he had seen was reality or simply a horrendous dream he was having.  Slowly he approached one of the bodies of another priest he recognized, pursing his lips tight when he realized this was all true to life reality.  Tip toeing through the scene, he would find his way to the door, swinging it open, running into the alleyway.  Screaming at the top of his lungs, “SOMEONE HELP ME!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME!!”

© Copyright 2009 Gabe (gamador at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546622-In-His-Name