*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546877-A-Terrifying-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1546877
The life of a feral cat.
A Terrifying Life


         It has been light four times since I found my way up to this tiny limb on this tall tree. Hanging on as best I can I try to clean my injured leg, but my tongue is like dry sandpaper.

         I was searching for food; any kind of food for myself so I would have the strength to feed my new babies. I fear they have starved without me. I was unaware the huge black dog had spotted me; and I tried to hurry up the tree, but his sharp canine teeth tore into my hind leg like a hot iron – a momentary sizzling with lingering pain.

         Incessantly he continues to stalk back and forth on the ground below me snarling and barking. Although frantic for my babies I am almost paralyzed with fear of this huge bearlike dog with the scissor sharp teeth. I must somehow find a way to get down before all my strength is gone. I have become extremely weak because I have been able to capture only a few bugs to eat all this time. I am so hungry and thirsty.

         I see the black dog’s master coming with fresh food and water. What I would give for just one morsel! I am getting cramps in my legs and try to change position. I am so tired and stiff from hanging onto this limb but I must stay alert. I have seen what dogs can do to cats and kittens. One of my babies from another litter was hiding on top of a car's tire when a gigantic mongrel dog found her and broke her back with one snap of his jaws. Hiding behind a bush trembling with fear there was nothing I could do but watch helplessly. It was horrible! A kind lady came and wrapped her in something white and then put her in her car and drove away. I waited and waited. Finally she returned but my baby was not with her.

         Here comes the dog's master again. Maybe if I mew, she will hear and have mercy on my predicament. I try to mew but my throat is so dry. She's looking up and sees me. She says something but I don't understand. She's walking away toward a pond of water and now she's picking up a long thing with something at the end of it. She's climbing up on something and pointing the long thing up at me. She keeps poking and poking at me. She's trying to knock me off this limb! I'm holding on with all my strength. I'm so scared I'm going to fall. Finally, she gives up and goes away.

         It's getting dark again. The wind is blowing and I feel drops of water. I lick my wet face. It tastes good. The tree begins to sway back and forth but I hang on tightly. My claws are locked into the bark.

         I must have slept for now the sun is shining and I feel refreshed. I look down and do not see the black dog. I hear him barking but he seems far away. Hesitantly I start to back down the tree. My claws dislodge pieces of the pine bark making a crackling noise and it falls to the ground. He will come if he hears me and, quickly, I will get back to my limb. I go a little farther and see nothing of him. I am so afraid; my heart is pounding. I hear his big paws stomping through the pine needles, clomp, clomp,clomp. He is coming. I have to jump from the tree – over the fence into the yard next door! My belly fur brushes the top of the fence. I tumble downward to the other side. I can barely breathe. My heart is trying to break out of my chest. Dazed and sucking in air I fall into some kind of soft, leafy plant. I think I am safe! I stand up and look around seeing nothing. My breathing is becoming more regular and I am getting my bearings back. Before I look for food or water, I must return to my babies. Please let them be safe.
© Copyright 2009 Happy 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546877-A-Terrifying-Life