*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547033-Timing-is-Everything
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #1547033
a fishing trip leads to a serious proposal
         They trudged along the game trail, each shouldering one end of the sleek red canoe.  Some sections of the trail were almost completely overgrown, and late Spring rains had left the ground muddy, making this portage extraordinarily difficult.

         “Is this lake much further Ted, because I’m dying back here.”  Sara’s voice echoed inside the canoe. 

         “You know what, honey?  Let’s set this down a minute.  I’m not sure we can get in this way, the bushes are way too thick.”  They set the canoe down.  Ted went a little farther up the trail to find a way through. 

         Sara wondered why she was out here to begin with.  She and Ted had been going through a rough patch; they had split up once for a couple of months and now were back together again.  During their time apart, Ted had discovered fishing.  In trying to support and nurture his pursuits, Sara now found herself stuck on a trail in the forest with mud up to her knees, and with no lake in sight.  She sighed.

         “For sure, sweetie.  We are not getting through.”  Ted pointed to the tangle of brush on the trail ahead.  “Let’s get back to the road, see if we can’t find a better spot to get in.  The fish are supposed to be huge, you know.”

         Sara didn’t care.  Her feet were freezing.  Her shoulders were sore from the weight.  Despite her discomfort, she picked up her end of the canoe.  “Let’s go then.” she said.

         They fought their way back to the road, and with each mucky step an awkward silence pursued them.  Back at the road Ted broke the silence.  “Sara, I have something to ask you...”

         “Not now Ted!” Sara snapped.  “Seriously.”

         “Will you marry me?” Again the silence.

         Not now, Ted.  Not now.”


word count - 300
© Copyright 2009 S. James Souter (wehoyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547033-Timing-is-Everything