*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547181-The-Watcher-Prologue
by Angel
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1547181
Prologue to the story--The Watcher
Prologue

Glory lay asleep in her hospital bed, looking very frail in her white gown and the lines around her still very young eyes. She looked older, especially because of the strand of grey hair that now graced her long, black locks. Yesterday her hair had not had a strand of grey, and now she would forever carry this symbol of her heartbreak with her. He had heard stories of a person’s hair turning grey suddenly due to an extreme shock, but shock did not begin to describe the pain his love had endured this past day.
A new birth means joy for most, but for Christian and Glory, the beautiful, healthy baby girl bundled in her receiving blanket in the nursery down the hall had brought an unbearable sorrow for both parents. They would never be there to see her first steps, her first word, her first bicycle ride and the scraped knees and broken hearts she would need her parents for. Watchers were forbidden to have children, and there was no way they could raise her, traveling between worlds and constantly witnessing the greatest atrocities known to mankind.
Sighing, Christian sat down in the chair next to Glory’s bed, squeezing his eyes to keep the tears from spilling over. He could not let her see his own agony. He had to be strong, and resolute. This was not a choice, it was a given. The child (he refused to name her) must go to Glory’s father. As much as he knew George hated him, Christian also knew he would dote on their daughter and give her the life they could not.
A rap on the door made him quickly wipe his eyes and turn to see the visitor. Jasmine. Standing, he quickly walked to her and pulled her by the arm outside the room.
“She’s not ready.” He tried to keep his voice firm, but it faltered under his hidden pleading.
Jasmine looked at him in pity. This is why the Watchers were warned to be careful and not bare children. These rules were placed for a reason. It was not the first time a bonded couple had born a child, but never had the results been good for anyone in the past who made this mistake, especially for the parents. Jasmine didn’t voice these facts, however. Instead she said, “You must wake her and tell her to call her father. If this is your choice, and you believe this is a better choice than destroying the child, which you should have done before it got this far, then you must act quickly. Otherwise, the Council may make the decision for you that you could not.” She disliked being so stern with Christian when he was obviously in such agony, but she reminded herself that he had been warned before his initiation about the rules of being a Watcher.
Anger flashed in Christian’s face, to be replaced by resignation. “I will do it now.” He turned and walked back into Glory’s room. As the door closed behind him, leaving Jasmine alone in the hall, she whispered, “And I will be watching.”
© Copyright 2009 Angel (deserttag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547181-The-Watcher-Prologue