*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547190-The-Watcher-Chapter-3
by Angel
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1547190
Chapter 3 of The Watcher
Chapter 3

I awoke to a chorus of birds singing, disoriented about where I was and what had happened. My eyes opened to soft sunlight filtering through the treetops. I turned my head to see Epona standing next to me, watching me intently. As I scrambled to my feet, I looked all around me, for the first time remembering the horrifying fall we had just taken. I looked down at myself, feeling my body in disbelief. The fact I had not died amazed me, but even more so I was amazed that I seemed unharmed, as did Epona.
It is difficult to get your wits about you when something so amazing happens. It took several minutes for me to realize I was not at the bottom of a cliff, or anywhere near a cliff. I was standing in the middle of the woods, but these woods seemed strange to me, foreign somehow. Ferns covered the ground, along with strange flowers I had never seen before. I rubbed my temples, trying desperately to remember what had happened. I remember that last moment when we had leaped into the air at the cliff, but nothing else. I did not remember falling. I had no idea where I was at or in what direction to travel.
So, I sat there. I sat there dumbfounded, quite in shock, and looked around for answers. My thoughts were fuzzy, as if something was crowding them, or stirring them like a branch in water. Epona nudged me with her head, and when I turned to look at her she nodded. I had never seen her look so intently at me. It really felt, like some natural force that cannot be ignored, she was trying to tell me something. She nodded again, looking away from me deeper into the woods. I searched around us for my saddlebags, but they were no where to be found.
I slowly began to walk deeper into the woods, holding Epona's reins. She walked next to me, staring ahead, sometimes nuzzling my arm as if to comfort me. This was not a hill, only a forest that seemed to go on forever, with trees so tall the lowest branches were high above our heads. I would stop and stare up into the sky, which was a dazzling blue with no clouds, and then once again trek forward. "Where are we, Epona?" I whispered as we walked. A reply came to my thoughts, which said "Far away from home, dear one." I shook my head, and stopped in amazement. Epona stared at me so quietly, so lovingly, that I had to wonder if it was her thought. I quickly dismissed the idea, patted her (patronizingly) on the neck and continued. She made a sound that was very close to being a sigh as she followed.
The further we walked, the more sure I was that we were indeed far from home. This place seemed nothing like anything you would find in West Virginia. I tried to find reason. I invented stories about how we had come to be here, although none made any sense. I tried to worry about being found, but the idea seemed so foolish considering our circumstances it didn't last long.
And because I am only human, with human needs, my thoughts first turned to emptying my bladder, and then to food I did not have. My stomach grumbled, and I felt famished, as if I hadn't eaten in weeks. I dejectedly remembered the food in my saddle bags, which by now was long gone. I was also thirsty, which added to my discomfort. Everything here looked the same, and no matter how far we walked, I had no idea of what direction we were travelling. I only followed Epona's direction, walking next to her as she patiently trodded forward.
From time to time I saw squirrels, and birds, and at one point I was sure I had caught a glimpse of a deer bounding away from us. The woods seemed to be alive with animals, in fact. I was amazed at closely the birds twittered down to us, at one point one even landed on Epona's withers. She turned to look at it, and then walked on, as if to ignore it. It flew off when I reached my hand toward it, to land on a tree branch and watch us as we walked by.
Unlike the woods we had travelled the night before, these monstrous trees grew far enough apart from one another to allow easy access in any direction. However, I could find no paths, or any sign of travel. The place seemed so wild, so unlike anyplace I had ever been, and yet I can't say I felt any fear. Instead, it was pure wonder that filled me. If I could ignore my hunger, and the feeling of being totally disoriented, I could simply enjoy the beauty of the nature around us.
And so it was that we walked for several hours, until I could see the sun directly above us. I finally stopped to rest, and was surprised to see Epona lay down on the ground next to me. I didn't question her actions, however. Instead, I laid my arm over her neck and rested my head against the tree behind me, listening to the sounds of the forest around us.
I had felt myself start to doze off when I heard a rustling. I opened my eyes, staying very still as l scanned the area around us. I could make out the shape of something very tall, coming from the same direction we had been walking. Epona stared in the same direction, but did not appear alarmed. I considered trying to make a run for it, in case it was someone coming to take me, but Epona's unconcern caused me to stay rooted, watching. As the figure came closer, I saw that it was a man, but I was amazed at his height. I became further alarmed to see he was shirtless, and his arms and chest were covered in a fine matting of dark, chestnut hair. His face was dark and strong, with long, brown hair draping around it over his shoulders.
I gasped in shock as he stepped out from behind the trees that was hiding his lower portion. The legs and body of a horse! I stifled a scream and hid my eyes in Epona's neck as he walked within only a
few feet of us, staring down at me. He stood there for several moments, perhaps waiting for me to look up at him. When I did not, he spoke. "Do not be afraid, child." His deep voice was rich with compassion.
I peeked out from Epona's neck, trembling, thoughts racing through my mind. Had I become mad? Was I crazy? Was I dead from the fall from the cliff and this was the afterlife? I could not speak; I could not move. I sat there next to Epona frightened beyond belief, frozen in shock.
He smiled at me, his eyes crinkling much the same as Grandfather's used to. He then nodded to Epona, who whickered softly in response. When he took one step closer, I felt myself unwittingly pulling back, shaking uncontrollably, wanting to scream but unable to find a voice. He spoke again:
"I know that you are lost, child, and that you are frightened. Please, do not be afraid. I mean you no harm. If you will care to listen, I can try to explain to you where you are and what is happening."
I nodded, still unable to speak but desperately wanting to hear what he had to say. He continued, "I am the son of Chiron, a centaur, and this is the Casod Realm of Gaia. The White Mare has brought you with her, I'm assuming to find her mate. You should feel very loved, child, to be given such an honor as to travel to Gaia with your special friend." He paused, watching my reaction. I sat in stunned silence, waiting to hear more...
"You are far from home, and cannot return, I am afraid. While this world and your world are one and the same, they are also two different entities, and travel between the two by a human is forbidden. To be honest, child, you should not be here. But, what is done is done. You are here, and therefore it must be for a reason. Occasionally one of your kind will pass over, usually with an animal friend, and life here can be good, if that is what you would like to make it. But for now, I'm sure the White Mare has a journey planned for you, and I must forewarn you of what is to come."
I felt it would take a lifetime to absorb what the creature was saying, this son of Chrion, but that was not to be. I had listen to his words, his voice, and accept. There was no other choice. I could run, but where would I run to? I could deny what was happening, but what good would come of that? No, that part of our human nature that helps us to survive when survival seems impossible, or our circumstances seem unbelievable, is the part naturally given to me that helped me to delve further into what was happening.
"What is to come?" My voice trembled, but I got the question out, and this time staring directly into the centaur's golden brown eyes.
"You are at the edge of the Southern Region of Gaia, in the Realm of Casod. Before you lies miles of forest, which you must travel through until you come to the hill country, which is part of the Vammased Realm. This can be a dangerous realm, almost as dangerous as the forest, sometimes moreso. The White Mare will help you, guide you; she knows her way. After the Vammased Realm you will pass into the Northern Region of Gaia, the Elamseth Realm, or the Land of Sprites. Be warned, child, the beauty you will find there can captivate you and hold you hostage for centuries. Trust in the White Mare to help you. And, from there, you must travel across the Lessiem Sea to the Island of Horses. This will be a long journey, and perhaps a great adventure, if your spirit is strong and your heart is true. I pray it is so, although we in Gaia have watched humans throughout time, and it seems few in your world today would have the courage for the adventure on which you are about to embark"
I tried to smile at him as he finished, but it was a weak attempt. I finally stood, as did Epona, and lifted my hand out to his. His large hand enveloped mine, and with a warm squeeze he had turned and quickly disappeared into the trees. I turned to Epona and shrugged, "What have you gotten us into?" I asked in a poor attempt at humor, and once again we began to walk.

We walked silently, although my mind was working furiously to consider my current circumstances. After my final acceptance that I was in a magical world, somehow linked to mine and yet different, and the words of the centaur "...cannot return" echoed in my mind, my heart ached for my Grandfather, who I wished could be here with me now. I remembered sitting on his lap as a child, listening to his colorful stories of such creatures as centaurs. How he would have liked to have met the centaur I had just encountered! It made me smile, and I carried the smile with me as I walked.
Epona seemed always to be gazing ahead, steadfast in her goal to reach the Island of Horses. Her presence was reassuring, and I tried not to entertain fearful thoughts as we walked. My hunger now gnawed at me, and by the time dusk was approaching, the pangs of hunger had become real pains. The forest was all the same, trees and ferns, with a speckling of strange flowers here and there. The only change was the animals. There were birds, squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, skunks, deer, foxes, and even a bear. The bear frightened me when we first saw him, but he only stared, and lumbered away in disinterest.
So when night came, with my muscles aching from all the walking (I didn't ride a single step that day), my stomach now truly hurting from hunger, my mouth dry from thirst, and a chill in the air, my smiling, youthful optimism had turned into dejection. Epona seemed to sense my feelings, as she stayed closeby when I laid down upon the ground to sleep. I looked up into the sky, with what seemed like a thousand stars twinkling down at me, feeling so far from home, from all I knew, and from Grandfather and the other horses, that the sadness overwhelmed me. A tear slid down my cheek, then another, then another, and before I knew it I was weeping with all the strength left to me. I wept until eyes were swollen and my head ached, and then I cried some more. I was so wrapped up in my own misery that I didn't notice the animals at first. But slowly I began to realize that there were animals all around me. All the animals I had seen that day, and more, were standing around me, next to Epona. They were all staring at me with the same soft look Epona gave.
I looked back at them, tears still flowing. I must have seemed so pitiful....hair in tangles, face red and splotchy from crying, my clothes torn and scratches all over me. Not that animals care about such things, but I had the feeling these animals were as special as the centaur I had just met, and my own horse that was guiding me.
One by one, the animals scampered over to me, handing me nuts and fruits, fish and roots, until the spot next to where I had lain was covered with food. Some of it I recognized, and others I had never seen. Without my realizing it, while I was being given my gifts of food, a fire had been started. What animal had started the fire, and how, I did not know. Honestly, I was so grateful I didn't care to question the why of it. Instead, I went to work cooking the fish while I ravished the fruit and nuts.
After eating, I felt so much better. The worries of the day, and the unknown that lay before me, no longer worried me. I closed my eyes and drifted off to a deep, restful sleep that would not be broken until dawn.
The next morning I awoke slowly, stretching my arms before opening my eyes, listening to the sounds of the forest that I had already come to like so well. When I opened my eyes, I looked up into the face of a young man, who stood over me grinning. He wavy blond hair fell down onto his forehead, and his eyes were a crystal blue. He had long sideburns that ran the length of his face and blended into an even longer goatee. His ears peeked out from his hair...pointed ears. And his lean torso disappeared into small, hairy legs with black hooves. A faun. A faun stood over me, grinning like the Cheshire cat. I glanced around for Epona, and found her standing a few yards away, staring at the faun with suspicion. Clearly sensing her disapproval of our visitor, I edged away and stood back cautiously.
"Hello," again grinning.
"Hello," I answered after a pause.
"What is your name?" He asked.
"Morgan." I answered shortly.
"My name is Rilon." I wished he would quit grinning at me. Or was it a sneer? I edged back further, never taking my eyes from him. I noticed all the animals from the night before were gone, and no longer did I hear the sounds of the forest that had stayed consistent the day before. The faun stepped toward me, pointing at Epona.
"Is that your horse?" His eyes narrowed, although his grin remained. I caught a hint of broad, yellow teeth behind his lip.
"She is my friend," I answered carefully. This made him laugh, slapping his hairy leg as he did so. "Humans don't befriend animals; they own them. They use them for their own purposes." The antagonism was clear and I became more nervous.
"I don't feel that way. All humans are not alike," I answered softly.
He shook his head at my answer, but did not respond. Instead, he circled around me. I saw Epona step closer, warily following his every move. When he stopped, he was standing much closer to
me.
"Shall I play my flute for the lovely lady?" He pulled a small, wooden flute from behind his back. Where he had been hiding it up until this point I did not know. He lifted the flute to his lips and music floated all around me. It was exquisite, and I quickly found myself becoming unaware of what was happening and instead falling into a trance from the sound of the flute.
It was the feeling of Epona's head bumping my back that broke the trance. I swung toward her, eyes wide, and she nudged me again. Rilon continued to play, moving closer still to me. Without giving it further thought, I gripped Epona's mane in my hand and swung onto her back. She twirled around, almost knocking the faun over, and took off at a dead run through the trees. I glanced behind me, and saw Rilon following us, his smaller legs giving him surprising speed as he followed suit. Turning forward, I leaned over Epona's neck, clutching her mane in my hands, as she maneuvered around the trees through the forest. Suddenly, she swerved to the right, taking a different direction. Unprepared, I almost fell off, but managed to right myself and cling even tighter.
For the first time, the even ground was becoming small hills, and Epona climbed up and down each one faster and faster as we continued to flee from the faun. We had gained on him some when Epona had switched direction, but he was still within sight. I turned to watch him in terror and then there was complete darkness.
Gasping, I strained my eyes to see. Where had we gone? Quickly I realized Epona had taken us into a large cave. I stared out from the blackness and saw the faun striding back and forth not far from where we stood. He could not find us! I tried to slow my breathing and remain absolutely still, all the while wondering how he would escape, or how long he would wait for us to reappear.
Epona walked deeper into the cave, until I could no longer see Rilon. The light from the opening of the cave became a small glint as the darkness completely enveloped us. Epona nickered softly, and I peered into the darkness to try to discern what she saw. I could see a faint hint of white, and then for a moment it disappeared, only to reappear again. It was like a blind being drawn over a light. Then there was two, and then three, white circles, each one blinking at us.
Blinking was the correct word, as we drew closer and I realized that what I was seeing was three very large eyes. I imagined a three-headed monster that would devour us any moment, but when one of the creatures pulled out a lit torch, I saw that there were three creatures, each with one eye. Cyclops! I was instantly prepared to flee and pulled at Epona's reins to escape the cave and face the faun, but she refused. She stood still, and when I insisted on pulling the reins, she jerked her head, pulling them out of my hands, snorting in disgust. The three creatures stood still, staring at me. Gulping, I pleaded with a quivering voice, "Please don't harm us."
The first creature stepped closer, his head lowered, and replied, "We shall ask the same, mistress." I looked closer, and saw that he was quivering. He was shaking in fear! I immediately dismounted and stepped toward him, which made him cover his face in fear.
"I mean you no harm. Please forgive me for frightening you." I held out my hand and touched his shoulder. He finally looked up at me, shyly, and touched my shoulder in the same way. I smiled, no longer afraid and looked at Epona in apology. I knew then that I must learn to trust her, for she was not only my guide, but in a way my teacher in this land that she seemed to know.
The cyclops motioned for me to follow them and we travelled even deeper into the cave. We came to a large room, with sunlight shining down through a hole in the roof. A bear rug lay on the stone floor, and there were three huge wooden chairs, one for each cyclops. Scattered throughout the cave was piles of cloth, sticks and rocks, ragged toys and a few wooden bowls.
In the light I could see them more clearly. Their huge heads were grotesque, with one bulging, red eye. They had no hair, and their long, jagged teeth were disgusting. Their bodies were layered in fat, with unbelievably huge hands and feet. They wore only a loin cloth, and one carried a small piece of fabric with it. This one was smaller than the other two, and at one point I saw him sucking his thumb, hinting that he was a child, although he was only slightly smaller than his friends.
"Sit," the first cyclops said, pointing to one of the chairs. I dismounted and walked over to the chair, pulling myself up into the tall seat. My legs dangled from the edges, like a small child in a high chair.
"You honor us with your beauty, Mistress, " he began. "Forgive us for our ugliness, and that we have little to offer in our humble cave. It has been many years since we had a guest, but we will heed your every request in thanks for your kindness." He bowed in front of me, and the others did the same.
I slid down from the chair and motioned for them to stand. "Please, please, don't bow. I am nothing special. Only a human girl travelling with my horse. We hid in this cave from a faun named Rilon who wished to entrance me with his flute."
The three looked at each other and grumbled, looking back in the direction of the entrance of the cave. The young one picked up a large, wooden club and shook it in anger toward the cave entrance. The speaker shook his head, however, and said, "We cannot fight the faun. His magical flute will entrance us as well. Why does he wish to harm you?"
"I truly don't know," I answered. "He seemed angry, for some reason."
The cyclops sighed. He looked at me with pity and replied, "You will find that many of the creatures here will dislike you. Humankind has angered the creatures in Gaia. We know what has happened to your world, and we fear what the future holds. You see, if your kind destroys your world, our's will cease to exist as well." He paused upon seeing my confusion, and gestured for me to follow him. He walked to a small pool of water on the ground at the edge of the wall, where condensation from the cave walls formed small drips of water, and crouched next to it. I did the same, and we both sat staring into the water.
I did not understand why were doing this, until the water cleared, and in it I could see figures. I could see people, humans, in a city. Then the city grew smaller, as if we were travelling higher in the sky, and I saw all the cities, towns and homes below me, as if I were in a plane. Then the picture zoomed out even further, as if we were looking down at the earth. In the night sky was a huge blue star. I saw the earth travelling in rotation faster and faster, until it was going so fast I could not see anything but an orb, and then there was nothing.
The cyclops whispered, "The blue star approaches now, as the Hopi predicted. And while we can see it here, your world can not. The direction of travel must change, or what you saw is the destiny for all of us.
I stared at him in shock and asked, "What does this mean?".
"It means that you do not provoke a predator, such as a faun with a magic pipe. It means that when danger is coming, you must hide and find an escape."
He patted my back and walked away from the pool of water. I followed, puzzled. For such a simple looking creature, whose brothers seemed especially slow, his obscure words I knew held great meaning. Grandfather would have perhaps understood it better than I.
"To the matter at hand," he said. "We must help you escape the pursuit of the faun. Brothers--I believe a storm is approaching." The other two nodded, and the three cyclops joined hands in a circle. From the center of their arms came a huge ray of light which shot up into the sky through the hole in the ceiling. The ground shook from the jolt, and I fell backwards onto the ground. The light exploded in the sky, and immediately a storm commenced. Thunder shook the ground and lightning began to strike all around the cave.
Everyone walked back towards the entrance. Rilon was nowhere to be seen. The storm ended as quickly as it had began. Once again, I could hear the birds chirping their lovely songs. I turned to the cyclops in relief, saying "Thank you friend. Your kindness will not be forgotten."
He smiled back at me. "I hope your journey is a safe one, Mistress. I believe you worthy to find wisdom, truth and love" And then he and his brothers turned and walked back into the cave. I turned to Epona and patted her neck. "I guess it's time for us to get moving." She nodded her head, and we left the cave and continued north.

As evening approached, the forest became less dense and more hilly. It was nothing like the hills of home, but at the tops I could atleast look out further to see where our steps were taking us. We found a small cove of apple trees and stopped there for awhile to rest while we both enjoyed the fruit. We also found a delightful spring to drink from, with water as clear and cool as any bottled water I had ever drank. And it was there, in the apple grove, that I first saw the minotaur.
Unlike the centaur and faun, who I had mistaken as human, I saw the rear of the bull first, and thought only that we had happened upon a cow enjoying the same apples we were eating. When he turned, however, I saw once again the head and torso of a man. I could not help but blush. While the centaur had been regal and the faun small, this was a well-muscled, naked torso attached to an even bigger, more muscled body of a bull. His face was very handsome, with gleaming black hair and dark eyes. Large, curling black horns protruded from each side of his head. No model in any magazine had ever been more handsome than this minotaur. He was nothing like the minotaur’s I had seen pictures. He had the head, neck and torso of a human other than his curling horns, but his body was that of a bull. Epona seemed unsure, so we did not approach him. He, however, walked toward us once.
He dipped into a deep bow, and with a very sensual voice said "Welcome, my lady. You and your mare are welcome to any apple in my cove." He reached high into a tree and picked a large, red apple, handing it to me. With slight hesitation, I accepted his gift and bit into the apple.
"You look tired. Please, stay with me for awhile and rest. Night is approaching, and I'm guessing your journey is a long one. I grow lonesome here all alone and would like the company. My name is Fimsal."
I glanced at Epona but could not determine whether she approved or not, so I followed Fimsal. She walked a few steps behind us. "My name is Morgan," I told him.
"Hello Morgan. It has been many years since I saw a human girl, and even more since I saw one so beautiful." His statement once again left me blushing. His eyes followed my every move, and his sincere approval was evident. I had never considered myself even pretty, let alone beautiful. For a few moments, in the minotaur's presence, however, I felt lovely.
We came to a circle of trees and he motioned for me to sit. I did so, but was very uncomfortable with him towering over me. The sun was just beginning to set, and the sky behind his head was a blaze of orange and red. I shielded my eyes as I stared up at him, wanting to stand but afraid of offending my host. He looked down at me and said, "You can sleep here tonight. Rest easy, my lady. I will protect you from any creature who would harm do you harm." He turned and strode off, walking a few feet away with his massive back to me. I once again glanced at Epona, who shook her head side and side.
As the sky drew dark and the increasing fatigue from my day's adventures took over, I found myself dozing off to sleep. My sleep was not restful, however. The same man who had invaded my dreams the night before I came to find myself in Gaia visited me once more. I could see him more clearly now. He was standing directly in front of me, and the same mist that had surrounded him in my world wafted around us in the dream. He was dressed much the same as me, with jeans and well-fitted t-shirt, and yet everything about him seemed other-worldly. He had tousled black hair and brooding, black eyes. He was the most beautiful man I had ever seen, but also very foreboding. He stared directly into my eyes, and I could sense his fierce dislike, or disapproval. I opened my mouth to speak, and the mist curled around him until he disappeared.
When the first light of dawn crept over the land, I was standing and ready to move on. My dream left me unsettled, and I could sense Epona seemed pleased to be leaving the company of the minotaur.
I still did not completely understand why we were making this journey, why Epona had come to this place and brought me with her. I knew she was travelling to meet the black stallion we had seen in my world, but I could not yet accept the fact that she was preparing to leave me. I did not know if she had been in this place before, or if the stallion had sought her out in my world. I certainly did not know what my future held for me. I had already been told I could not return to my world, and there seemed no place for me here in Gaia, with none of my own kind and what seemed to be a consistent dislike or distrust of humans.
Fimsal stood in the same spot he had placed himself the night before. He was staring up at the sky, watching the sun slowly rise into a sapphire sky. As we approached, he turned and sighed. He then said, "I can not allow you to leave, my lady." He seemed almost sad at the statement.
That same nervous feeling that had warned me about the faun crept into my heart at this time. How could I possibly escape this creature if he wished to hold me here? And, why would he wish to keep me? And so I asked, "Why may we not leave, sir?".
"You are human, forbidden in this land. I have no wish to harm you; in fact, the danger that lurks ahead is far worse than anything I would do to such a fair lady. The reason you must stay, however, is completely selfish on my part. My days are lonely, and I need a companion. And, someday, if by chance you could find it in your heart to love me, the curse that made me a minotaur will be broken, and I myself can return to human form. Either way, my days will be brighter--brighter with the hope of becoming human, and brighter for each moment your loveliness graces my company." His eyes were pleading, but the set of his mouth told me there would be no swaying him in his decisions.
I looked over at Epona, considering a quick escape, but he must have read my thoughts. In a moment he had charged forward and using his head flung Epona away from me. She tumbled and fell over on her side, but quickly stood up again, snorting and throwing her head at him in anger. Fimsal reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me up against his bull-chest and dragging me through the trees at a run. My legs were dragging the ground as I lay bent over his arm, kicking and screaming. The hot breath from his panting blew down over the top of my head as he charged through the forest. I could hear the thunder of Epona's feet behind us as she gave chase. She soon caught up with us and struck Fimsal with the front of her body, knocking him sideways. He almost fell, and I braced myself for his weight to come down on top of me, but he righted himself before hitting the ground and turned toward Epona. Snorting, the very sound of a bull, he flung me away from him, lowered his head, and charged at Epona. She reared, striking at him, but her blows were unheeded as he brutally knocked her backwards. She lay there for only a moment, and then stood, facing him once more.
I screamed "Please stop!" but neither creature gave me a second glance. Instead, the two charged at one another once again. This time Epona swerved sideways before Fismal could knock her down. The once handsome face of the minotaur was now encased in rage. The temples of his neck were protruding and throbbing, his jaw clenched and his eyes red in such a shape to make him look almost evil. Epona already looked tired and unprepared for his next attack. I ran to her before they could come together again, wrapping my arms around her neck and blocking her from Fismal. Her shoulder was bleeding from the last fall, and her wild eyes frightened me.
Turning, but still blocking Epona, I yelled, "Stop it! Please, stop! Don't hurt her!" I was panting and crying at the same time. Fismal spat at the ground and replied, "Come with me, and this nag will be spared. Refuse, and I will rip her to shreds." He was snarling at us, eyes red and fists clenched in rage.
I was unable to respond, uncertain what to say. I could not swear to live out my days with this creature. And, I could feel the ever-increasing drive Epona carried to reach her stallion. However, I needed to come up with something to give me enough time to plan an escape. So, I said, "Let us talk this over. Fighting solves nothing. Can we not sit and discuss this?".
He laughed...not a happy laugh, but a laugh of disdain. "This is not up for discussion, fair lady. While I admire your beauty and would like you for a slave, I put no stock in the word of a human. I will not heed your requests or feel compassion for your sadness. I know, given the chance, you would fill me with spears and slaughter me the same way your people do the bulls of your world." He was referring to bull-fighting. Once again, I was being faced with the crimes of my people. I lowered my head in shame and said, "It is true. The people of my world can be cruel, although all are not. I have treated all creatures with respect, and I ask the same of you with me and Epona."
"Perhaps the ears of an elf would better you!" He spat. "I have already said your requests mean nothing to me. Make your choice. Come with me now, or step out of the way and allow me to kill this white trash behind you." I could feel Epona's shiver, and shared her fear. For a few quick moments, I imagined a life with Fismal. I would be his slave, perhaps tied or caged, maybe even beaten. His initial gentleness I could now see was nothing more than an act to keep me with him. But I also needed to protect Epona.
And so I did what is a very human thing to do. I did something ridiculous and illogical. I began to scream, scream as loud as I could. "Help! HELP US!" I prayed that perhaps the kind animals of the forest, or another wise centaur, or my friends the cyclops would help us. Fismal seemed confused at first, and then quickly strode forward and slapped me, knocking me to my knees. I stared up at him, crying and rubbing my red cheek.
"Run, Epona, " I whispered. "Run, and save yourself. Find your stallion, and then perhaps you can return for me." I pushed at her leg, which was next to me. She looked down, still frightened, and did step backwards. But then her head flew up and she stared into the sky. I heard a roar from the clouds, and also stared upwards. Fismal did the same, and we all watched in awe as the great Sphinx approached.
She was enormous, twice the size of the minotaur, and her wings completely blocked the sun as she grew closer. For a moment, the image of the stone sphinx in Egypt crossed my mind, and I realized that it was not a true likeness at all. A beautiful light emanated from her, and her face was like porcelain. Her eyes were an intense blue, with long, wavy manes of soft blond hair falling around her neck. Her body was very much like a lion, and her enormous wings were the color of a rainbow. I gasped as she lighted down in front of us. Coolly, she asked, "You called?".
At first I wanted to jump for joy. The minotaur's fear of the sphinx was evident. Had he not been so fearful, I am sure he would have fled the moment he saw her in the sky. He stood trembling, on bent knee, and whispered, "Your Majesty...".
I turned to see Epona also kneeling, and so I did the same. The Sphinx purred in response, then saying "Stand, all of you." As we did, she turned to face Fismal. "You have attempted slavery, a crime punishable by death, Minotaur. However, because your victim was only a human, you shall not die today. Instead, you shall forever wander the Casod Labyrinth." Fismal cried out in disbelief, but the roar of the Sphinx blew through him and he was gone.
Turning to me, she continued, "The minotaur Fismal shall hurt no creature henceforth. The worst punishment for a minotaur is a labyrinth, from which they can never escape. See for yourself..." She flapped her great wings furiously, and from the air came a portel through which we could now see Fismal, trudging sadly through a maze made of extremely high shrubs. I felt sorrow for him; I could easily see he was weeping, his head lowered as if his spirit was broken.
"Do not waste your time pitying him, human. You shall now face your own punishment, for coming to Gaia, which is forbidden for humans."
"It was an accident, " I exclaimed. "Epona brought me with her. I didn't mean to come here!" I faltered under the glare of her cold blue eyes.
"Then I shall return you to your world, never again to return to Gaia." She answered. I turned wildly to Epona, who had stepped closer to me. Laying my arm on her neck, without hesitation, I replied, "Please, no! I have nothing in my world to return to. Epona is all I have left." It amazed me in retrospect that I did not even consider her proposition.
"Your love for the mare is pure, human. You was ready to sacrifice yourself to the minotaur to save her. I did not think such nobleness was possible in today's humans." She replied. "And you are wise not to wish to return to your world, for although the great rift there will cause problems here as well, we shall not suffer as your kind shall."
I didn't reply, instead waiting and hoping she would reconsider punishing me. I would later consider her words more carefully, and ponder over what she meant by 'the great rift' . She studied me for a moment, and then said, "I think I shall give you a riddle. If you can answer the riddle, I shall let you remain in Gaia and continue your journey. If you give no answer, I shall send you back to your world, unharmed. If you give the wrong answer, I shall devour you and your mare."
I had never been good at riddles, and the choices she had presented were more than grim. To remain, I had to try to answer the riddle. However, with the wrong answer I would be eaten. Give no answer, I could atleast live and return to my own world. I decided that I would answer only if my answer was good. With this decision, I nodded to her in assent.
"The riddle is this," she began. "*************************************************************************************************************************************************"
"That's easy, " I answered quickly. Epona nudged me, her eyes worried. I stopped and reconsidered the riddle. Then, very slowly, answered "*******************"
The Sphinx smiled. "Your answer is correct. Your presence here is no longer a crime, and you shall not be punished for it, by me or others. I fear, however, that along your journey you will find those seeking answers from your world that you will have to answer for. It is better for you that they have no idea the danger that lurks in the near future for the world of humans, and our's as well. Go, human, and remember to use your mind whereever your heart may lead you." Tears sprang to my eyes at her words. These was the same advice given to me by Grandfather. I nodded, wiping the tears from my face, as she sprang into the air and flew off into the clouds.
"I think, Epona, that Grandfather is with me wherever I go, no matter how far from home I may be." I smiled as Epona nickered her agreement. She turned, and I followed, the first of many steps we would take throughout the land of Gaia.


© Copyright 2009 Angel (deserttag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547190-The-Watcher-Chapter-3