*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547747-Blind-Seer-Explanatory
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1547747
An explanation of terminology used; a glimpse into the author’s thinking process.
Blind Seer Explanatory

Blind Seer is, at its heart, an historical novel – with a twist. Though many of its main characters are historical personages, it uses an unconventional chronology, rather than the one currently in use by Egyptologists. The reasons behind this are archaeologically dense and complex, and rather than bog anyone down in the details here, I would invite readers interested in this kind of material to contact me privately. Suffice it to say, I have chosen this chronology as I feel it makes for a far more interesting story. Hence, you will see chapter headings with dates, such as “Year 925" – these will be dates BC (or “before the Common Era”) – in the second half of the book, I will add more specific dates using an Egyptian sacred calendar.

I have also chosen to have my characters refer to monarchs, deities, and place names using their own language rather than the more standard terminology that you might find in an encyclopedia. In the text, such names are generally followed by the more familiar name in parens – for example: Anpu (Anubis) for a deity, or: Mennof-Ra (Memphis) for a city. This has already been seen in Part 3 of the Prologue: Men-kheper-Re Dhutmose (Thutmose III). Only rarely is there an exception to this rule, the most prominent example being the name of Egypt’s capital, Thebes. The city is so well known under this name that I felt it better to retain it. This was done to give the main part of the book a more “Egyptian” flavor, thus contrasting the Prologue and Epilogue.
© Copyright 2009 David-Michael Christopher (scorpecrit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547747-Blind-Seer-Explanatory