*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548370-Stargazer-Prologue
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1548370
A dark night, a strange figure, and five dangerous creatures
Prologue




Footsteps echoed off the walls as a dark figure moved swiftly along the dim hallways beneath the palace. His shallow breathing created clouds of vapour. A large cloak covered his body and concealed his face. Every few seconds he would glance over his shoulder, as if he were afraid someone was following him.

He quickened his pace until he was running. Up ahead was a small door, guarded by two soldiers. When they heard footsteps approaching they instinctively stepped in front of the door and blocked it. As the figure came into view the soldiers recognized him and moved out of the way, muttering apologies. The stranger dismissed them with a wave of his hand and continued along his path.

He slowed down, aware that he was safe. A smile flashed under the hood of his cloak. For many moons he had planned this, now it would all become real.

The figure plucked a torch from its spot on the wall and held it in front of him to light the way. He did not have to walk far along the corridor before he came to two large golden doors. With his free hand the figure reached out and touched one of the golden doors, dragging his fingers along the engravings.

The torchlight glistened off the lines of the engravings, revealing images. They told a story of a great battle between man and creature. It was a prophecy of events to come. So far, they hadn’t happened. The figure’s fingers came to rest on a being in the center of the doors. It was a sorcerer of some kind, a Stargazer.

He pulled a golden key out of his pocket, his fingers wrapped tightly around the dragon head handle. He put the key into the keyhole; it fit perfectly. He began to twist.

A click echoed down the corridor and into the darkness. The doors began to slide open, throwing many years of dust into the air. From the depths of the room that lay beyond the rustle of scales and deep growls could be heard.

When the doors had fully opened, a large black claw emerged from the shadows followed by large wings extending for the first time in decades. The creature beat its wings forcefully, sending gusts of wind that blew back the figure’s hood, revealing his face.

The King swallowed hard as he peered into the darkness.

The creature inside gave a mighty roar, and others within the room joined it. The whole corridor seemed to shake from the noise.

He stepped into the room, and there, before the King, stood five dragons.

© Copyright 2009 Krystxn * WorkingOnStargazer ! (krystxn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548370-Stargazer-Prologue