*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549016-Being-Connected
by Chris
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1549016
Everybody had an account on "2day.com." I just wanted to have one like my friends.
              I shut my laptop after clicking that "Confirm Account" button. It felt as if everyone I knew had an account on "2day.com." This was one of the most popular social networks on the web. My parents forbid me to be on that site. For the next two weeks I secretly logged on whenever I had the option. Whether I was sharing files, uploading files, or adding friends. Nothing went wrong until a stranger repeatedly clicked the "Send Friend Request" button.

                For a long period of time I just declined. But when I realized my inbox was being flooded by the user, I took a break from the site. The messages were blackmailing me to accept while others shot f-bombs towards me. He also threatened to do something if I reported him. And some (but very few), said hunting. Then another message was sent separately saying 11, 9, 4, and 19. He started to want to know personal information. I tried blocking the user but he could somehow still send me messages. I felt like he was shadowing me through thoughts. I knew accepting the friend request would enable him to view my entire profile. Not knowing what the previous messages regarding the numbers 11, 9, 4, 19 meant I tried to decode the numbers. KIDS. Each number was the number of the letters in the alphabet in an orderly fashion. I immediately cancelled my account.

              The following day breaking news hit the TV sentencing years in jail for a stalker harassing users on 2day.com. The police found evidence of harassment in his outbox. His account was hacked by a security member belonging to the site finding his password in the site's records.

© Copyright 2009 Chris (kpg222 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549016-Being-Connected