*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549171-Taking-Us-Slow-Chapter-One
by Egypt
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Teen · #1549171
First chapter of my first book that I intend to finish...


Chapter One          





    Moring light beamed through my binds. The alarm clock blaring on my nightstand, I cracked my eyes glancing at the time. I groan; hitting the snooze button and rolling out of bed. I stretched walking to the bathroom. I felt rested; my dreams had been empty, peaceful. I washed my face, and woke myself up a little to be more alert for the day ahead of me. I had a test in Trigonometry, this particular morning. I sighed and stared in to my blue eyes. I quickly got dressed, grabbing my bookbag, and went down stairs. I kissed my momma’s cheek. She smiled at me sleepily and handed me breakfast; grits and buttered toast.

  “G’mornin’ sweetie,” Her Carolina accent shone in the mornings, “How’d you sleep?”

  “Good,” I said, “brain food. Thanks Momma.”

  “No problem,” she slipped her black coffee slowly, “you want a ride to school, Cass?”

I shook my head no, my mouth full of grits and toast.

“I’ll walk.” I mumbled.

I finished off my breakfast; Momma placed her empty mug on the countertop. She had that look in her eyes like she wanted to say something about it, but she didn’t, “You know I love you, right?”



“Always,” I reassured her with a small smile. Momma let down her strawberry blonde hair, and kissed my forehead, before heading upstairs. I wish I looked like my momma. I only had her indigo eyes; bright and piercing.  Daddy called me his ocean eyed baby. I kind of...missed him. I had his dark brown wavy hair, tall like him too.

  I shout a good-bye to Momma, putting my headphones in classical music blasting in my ears. I adjusted my khaki skort, as I hurried out of the door. I walked to the intersection; I swayed to the music letting it carry me. I loved walking to school; it was just me, my music, and my thoughts. I briskly walk through the student parking lot. I waved to familiar faces but didn’t stop to converse just eager to get out of the chilly winter air. I glanced at my watch, and cursed underneath my breath. I hit the pavement in a dead run. I’m late, I’m late, I’m late, I thought.

  I rushed to my locker working the combination promptly, grabbing my Trigonometry notebook. I hurried down the hall, bumping pass a gossiping gaggle girls. Then, all of sudden, I was on my ass. My notebook falling with a loud thud, random papers spread on the floor.

  “What the—,” I groaned and got to my knees. I took the hand extended to me, and rose to my feet. I found myself staring into golden eyes covered by a blonde fringe, I was bedazzled by them. 

“Sorree,” The girl mumbled, “I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

  I pretended to dust off the back of my skort to distract myself from her eyes. My heart was pounding in my throat as I said, “its okay.”

  I couldn’t help but give her a quick look over as she helped to pick up my papers. Her hair was short and blonde, and those stunning honey eyes. She was lean and tall, build of a swimmer. Her hand was extended to me again, I shook it.

  “I’m Emily, Emily Kyles,” She flashed me a crooked smile, my heart fluttered as her fingertips slipped free of mine. Emily handed over my Trigonometry notebook. I clutched it to my chest tightly; my once cold hand was hot and clammy.

  “Cassie,” I said quickly. The warning bell sounded as we locked eyes again, “Uh, I gotta go.” I was backing away from her, not losing her eyes for a second.

“Nice meeting you Cassie.” I waved and flashed a small smile, hurrying off to class. God, I hope she didn't see me blush, I thought.



       


       
© Copyright 2009 Egypt (egypt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549171-Taking-Us-Slow-Chapter-One