*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551625-Special-Festival
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #1551625
personal experence
“Years may wrinkle your skin, but to give up enthusiasm may wrinkle your soul” This saying echoes around my ear, my mind. I am full with passion to survive and try my best to gain colorful experience. Life is an unknown play without any dress rehearsals, I thought. However, how cherish your life? How make your life meaningful? How find your own position? I find some answers when being a volunteer.



I got a chance to be the “leaders of athletes” in the opening ceremony of 2007 Shanghai special Olympic Game——it is world sports meeting for those who are mental retardation. I harvested new views and valuable experiences there. Organizing Committee elected more than two hundred girls in our university to be the volunteers. We began to train walking, smiling and making up since summer vacation.





It was six on the Oct 2nd, 2007 in the Shanghai Eighty Thousand People Stadium. More than two hundred beautiful young girls lined up in the underground of stadium  I dressed an orange, waist-controlled silk dress, which had an traditional circular totem in the middle of breast, and a 5-centimeter wedge heel with embroidery clothes covering toes. This was the unification of uniform, especially for opening ceremony. Similarly, all the girls wear light makeup and put so much hair gels to comb ponytails. I was not an excerption. Some athletes saw us and said, “Pretty girls!”



“May I take a photo with you?” One Germany athlete asked, going towards me and then clutching his two sides of coat.



“Of course, you can.” I replied.



I posed a “peace” gesture with him. He just stood straightly. Without special features of appearance, he behaved gentle and smiled sweetly like ordinary people. He just looked so sky.

I knew there are different levels of Disturbance of intelligence. Some have no specific traits and are able to face easy situations while others hardly take care of themselves. Perhaps he was kind because of belonging to the light level. However, after him, I took pictures with other different countries’ athletes, and they asked me friendly, showed me their flags, or sung songs shoulder by shoulder.



It was seven. We hold our own countries’ plats in our own gate and athletes were lining behind us. We were waiting for our time——introduction of competing athletes. There were four gates to go into the stadium. Tow hundred delegation divided into four parts. As I was in the No. 4 and hold the “China”, I would be the last one. Delegations from different counties were passing me. I said “hello” to them. They gave me a five. I could feel their excited-mood. Today was their day, their festival. They dressed in different colors symbolizing their countries. Someone printed national flag, while someone waved Special Olympic’ flag; someone blew the plastic little trumpet, while someone was singing the national anthem. Excitation was shining in their eyes; smiling was hanging up their mouths; confidence was send forth from their bodies. I couldn’t image they were challenged.



I saw less and less people outside and heard louder yell insides. It was eight that my earplugs called “China” clearly. My heart beat up and down like playing rock music. You should walk steady, I thought. I walk alone the routine, raised the plate highly and looked around the whole stadium. Plate became lighter; figures appeared vague in my eyes. I completely lost myself at this euphoria atmosphere with audience’ exults around me and delegations’ shoots of joy.



“Can I walk inside again” a young girl patted my shoulder and stammered. She thinks she can gain applause again by that way, I guessed. She sat in a wheelchair, her right hand curling tightly. Her level was serious, but she was naïve and genuine which we always miss. “Close your eyes and image you walking again.” I held her left hand and replied.



I had to leave the alive and go home because my task was finished and no place was available to leaders. I knew I would fall asleep hardly tonight. These challenged athletes like sunflowers have optimistic attitude towards life, leaving deep impression on me. Also, this experience gave me a new life. 



We always complain about that our parents forget our birthdays; our friends have no time to hang out, or too much homework make our life boring. We seldom think what we have——we have common intelligences, right bodies and abilities to live by ourselves. That’s enough for you to feel lucky living in the world. Inevitably, my ideas also stuck in. I used to feel depressed after failing achieve something, complain about others against my wishes or treat my friends conditionally. Although my mind still will digress, from then on, I will control myself and remember thanksgiving.   

© Copyright 2009 Sunflower (qianwen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551625-Special-Festival