*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551767-My-First-Sunset
by Winter
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1551767
This is a story about my visit to Tangier Island, VA.
Come back in time with me on a wonderful little trip. It starts on a beautiful summer day, the skies are blue with splashes of fluffy white clouds. Do you see it, the sky looks like a painting that I'm sure you have seen many times the kind of painting that you never get tired of looking at. The air is comfortable and like me I'm sure that you wish everyday was like this. There is only a small breeze. O.K., after a little drive we are at the place and we will board a boat to take us to our destination. Come on let's get on board. I am trying to overcome my fear of the deep so this trip is perfect.for me The boat slowly leaves the dock and if you look you can see beautiful homes of different styles mirrored on the water of the bay, Chesapeake Bay it is. As our boat descends into the deep waters the massive homes look like toy houses and soon all we see is the bay all around us. The boat is quiet, come on, let's get a cup of coffee since this boat comes equipped with drinks and snacks. The water is calm today. We are out here on our peaceful journey for an hour and a half. Isn't it beautiful, it's so calm that I can almost imagine myself jumping into the still waters and overcoming that deep water fear of mine. Wow, do you see it a small strip of land. It's wonderful, I see a fishing boat leaving what will shortly be our destination. The fisherman has a dog on his boat and the hound is looking as though he's in heaven on this old vessel. Our boat is coming in, everyone is waiting in golf carts to give tours of this historic island. Come on, let's go meet our guide and he'll take us to our bed and breakfast motel. These roads are small, almost like paths, the people are very kind and they speak with a charming Elizabethian accent. There is only one truck on the island, people are riding bikes, driving golf carts, or walking. Wow, no traffic, don't you love it. Our guide shows us a Methodist church on the island it is one of two churches. The houses are pretty and some yards have gravestones in them. Our guide explains that this little island has quite a history and the gravestones date way back. Do you see the wonderful seafood restaurants. Our guide explains that the fisherman's livelihood for years has been fishing for the blue crab. I think we'll try one of the restaurants later. Our guide turns the corner and shows us a school and this is the only school on the island with grades one through twelve. What do you think wouldn't it be fun starting over and going to school here? We pass over a small bridge and head to our bed and breakfast. It's quaint and we are promised a delicious breakfast in the morning. The guide tells us of all the good eating places, not many but the food is delicious. Let's try one, of course I'm going to order the crab and yes, it's the best crab that I've ever eaten. The guide tells us of a museum that tells of many interesting stories of the fisherman and the tough situations they encounter so we can eat our delicious blue crab meal. We are told to check out the wonderful sunset. Since it's getting late come on let's rent one of those golf carts and head for the beach. Got your camera? Here we are, the bay is just over this small dune. First thing I see is a guy with some camera set up and I understand why. I see the sunset and realize that every shade of orange and gold is intensely blended into this sunset. I feel as though this is the first sunset that I've ever witnessed. Thanks to the digital I can't stop taking pictures, it's extraordinary! Come on, let's follow the drifting sun into the edge of the island. It's a long walk but I know it will be worth it can you see the Chesapeake Bay all around us and we're just standing on this little strip of land. It's so peaceful here. I hate to leave but lets follow the sunset before it gets too dark. I think this trip was definately worth it, don't you?
© Copyright 2009 Winter (daisy8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551767-My-First-Sunset