*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552519-Vampire-Trouble-Chapter-Three
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1552519
Chapter 3 to Vampire Trouble
Chapter Three
I fell asleep on the long drive to his house. Mercy slept in her car seat Mr. Hale pulled from my vehicle. Our bags sat next to the seat along with Mr. Hale’s briefcase.
I didn’t remember going from Mr. Hale’s vehicle to a bed in a dimly lit room, yet that’s where I woke with Mercy in my arms. She was awake, watching me.
I heard a muffled argument in another part of the house. I stayed in the room, not wanting to intrude on a family matter.
I took the time to analyze my surroundings. The bed was soft and big. Its frame was intricately gilded in gold with ivy and gold roses. I rubbed my hand across the thick black quilt on the bed, which matched pillows and curtain. The rug was, I saw, the same shade of red as the walls. It was a nice room, I noted, with a subtle antique look. The bed frame, dresser and bed things looked really old but still in pristine condition. I have to admit that I am not much for history and antiquities, so the overall value was lost to me.
The room was examined as much as could be, so I found myself trying to listen to the conversation.
“How can you bring her to our home? It’s dangerous, Richard. She could easily be killed or worse, find out about us.” This voice was distinctly male, but not Mr. Hale, whom I presume was Richard.
“She has nowhere else to go. She couldn’t stay with her father, her mother was in jail and she has no other family except that little girl with her. I had every right to do it. She didn’t suspect anything about me, so if you play your part, she won't think anything of it, Joseph.” There was a pause, and then I heard a hiss. “What is it, Sam?”
“The girl’s awake.” It was a musical, feminine voice that didn’t sound like it could have made that menacing sound. “Now we will see how well Joe can act. You want to try?”
If it wasn’t for what people called my supernatural hearing, I wouldn’t have heard any of what was said. As it was, I didn’t understand.
There were very silent footsteps that no normal person could have heard, followed by a knock.
“Roxy, someone’s at the door.” Mercy’s shrill voice held some of the fear I kept back.
“Hold on.” I called to the person at the door. There was an impatient sigh, but not more. I got up and realized I was still in my clothes from yesterday and they were heavily wrinkled from sleeping in them wet. I dressed hurriedly and brushed my hair before I answered the door. It was not Mr. Hale, but a boy my age with dirty blonde, tousled hair. His eyes were the same strange brown color as Mr. Hale. He was lean and he wore clothes so tight, it showed every curve in his body. He looked like a model and I had to admit again, he was not bad looking.
“Yes?” I tried to sound nice, but after what I heard him say about me, it was difficult.
His lips twitched up in a quick smile then he glowered. “Do you want your vehicle or not?” He was so demanding and outright rude; but after what I did, I guess he had a right to be. He didn’t know I overheard, so he didn’t know why I was so rude myself. “You can leave the little girl. Sam can deal with her.”
“You’re… ugh.” I stalked past him pushing my way through and down the hall.
“Wrong way.” He sounded so amused when he appeared next to me.
I stopped suddenly, turning an about face and stomped the other way. “I’ll be back, Mercy. Don’t fret.” I called to my little angel as I passed the door again.
“My name’s Joe.” He was at my side again. If I hadn’t heard his quick steps, I would’ve said he appeared next to me. He was a strange boy, and at this moment, driving me crazy.
“Roxanne.” I didn’t care how rude I was being. His father invited me to stay here and yet this Joe didn’t want me here. I think I deserve to be a little impolite.
The ride back to the station in his black and white Ford Mustang Cobra GT500 was quiet. I didn’t want to break the silence and it looked like Joe didn’t plan on it either. I knew I was being stubborn, but I almost feared him. He wasn’t like my father, but his muscles made him look very strong. I feared that, because he could do a lot more than leave me with bruises, occasional broken bones and leaving me unconscious. It was startling to think that about a boy my age.
He waited for me to get out of his car, enter mine and start it before he started to pull away. I followed him back to his house, which I didn’t get a look at when we left.
The house was huge. Two stories filled a colossal lot, with trees surrounding it. It almost blended into it. It didn’t surprise me that it looked old too, still nice and maintained, but old.
I parked my car behind his and rejected ramming the back fender. Mr. Hale’s vehicle was nowhere in sight. I followed him into the house and instantly heard my little sister’s giggly laugh. I moved to the sound of it, edging closer so as not to disturb her. She sat with a stunningly beautiful blonde girl who was either fifteen or sixteen; I was never good at determining ages. Her hair was full and long, longer than mine, and her eyes were large and innocent like. Yet the color was the same as Joe’s.  This had to be Sam, the girl that uttered that evil hiss this morning. She looked up as I entered, but I didn’t make a noise.
“Morning, Joe.” That musical voice made me so mad. “Nice drive?”
Joe entered the room beside me and moved to his sister’s side. “I suppose, but Difficult would be a better word.”
I didn’t see how being with me was difficult; I didn’t even talk to him.
Sam shot a glare at me and went back to playing with Mercy.
“Come sit down, Roxanne.” Joe patted the couch next to him. Sam turned her malicious glare on him, which he totally ignored.
Mercy turned to me. “Roxy! Roxy! You home!” She squealed in glee and ran as fast as she could to me. I scooped her in my arms and hugged her tight.
I looked around for the only person in this house who had wanted me here. “Where’s Mr. Hale?” I didn’t hear him in the house either.
“At work. He’ll be home shortly to talk to you.” Joe actually sounded less harsh.
Sam got up off the floor so gracefully. “Why are you here anyway? You can go back to your own home.” If it was possible for her to sound any ruder, I would turn into the tooth fairy.
“Samantha.” Joe warned.
“But she’s not one of us, Joe. She doesn’t belong here.” She whined.
Joe got up- towering over her was not hard for him; he was tall- she flinched. “Enough, Samantha.” The threat in his voice was very clear.
“I don’t have a home.” I said this so quietly, it was mainly to myself. I felt tears start to build up; my breath came in short gasps. It hurt to the core that I didn’t have any place where I was wanted.
Mercy wiped at my tears and smiled. “Roxy, you got home where I am.”
I smiled down at my little sweet girl. “Where did you hear that, Hun?”
“A movie, I thought it fit.” She beamed up at me happily.
I felt a soothing hand on my back. “You can stay here, Roxanne. Sam won't bother you.”
“But, am I wanted?” I looked sadly up at Joe. He was closer that I expected and I took an involuntary step back.
“Mr. Hale wanted you.” He replied after he put his arm down.
I held Mercy closer. “He’s the only one?” There was no answer, so I went up the stairs and found my room. That was the only place I could cry without fear or embarrassment. I cried myself to sleep, with Mercy securely in my arms.
© Copyright 2009 fantasywriterarielm (amarshall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552519-Vampire-Trouble-Chapter-Three