*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552628-Vegetarianism-Could-Save-Your-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1552628
The World's first ever vegetarian fairytale!!! :)
Vegetarianism Could Save Your Life



         Once upon a time, there was a sweet little cow named Jessie. Jessie was to be married to her true love, Jimmy the pig. The problem was that Jessie was a princess and Jimmy was merely a peasant. Jessie’s parents called off the wedding the second they heard about it. They were frightened by their daughter’s rebellion and invited many suitors to date her. Jessie was uninterested in the suitors and continued to secretly see Jimmy. One day when Jimmy went to rendezvous with Jessie, instead of finding his girlfriend, he found a note. Her parents had found out about their meetings and moved far away so poor Jessie wouldn’t be tempted. Jessie was heartbroken. She cried in the night, she began fighting with her parents for the first time in her life, and she missed Jimmy more than anything.

         Jessie was sick of crying and she now hated her parents for making her move. She was going to run away. She packed a small suitcase with some clothes and the necessities and when her parents were asleep, she headed out the door in search of her true love.



Meanwhile…



         Sitting in his dark cave, The Butcher plotted murder. He had stalked his victim for a long time : watching her dress, watching her eat, watching her sleep. He knew her love for Jimmy. He knew about her depression. He knew everything about her. Jessie had been safe from this evil until now. The castle guards were there to protect her. But now she had nothing to defend her. She didn’t have a knife. She didn’t have a gun. She didn’t even have a map!

         This excited him. It was a sick love he had for her. He wanted to kill her and eat her cooked flesh. Patiently, he anticipated the right moment to attack her. He wondered if he should make her eat first, fatten her up or if he should just slaughter her immediately. Jessie was in grave danger…



After three days of walking, Jessie was hopelessly lost. She had never seen this side of the kingdom and she had no way to know where she was. This was a very rural area and she hadn’t seen anybody for at least a day now. Jessie was lost, lonely, and hungry. She was about to give up and head back when she met Jake.

Jake was an odd man. He was a vegetable farmer and hadn’t eaten meat since he was twelve. Most people discriminated against the animal citizens, seeing them as less than people, but Jake had a special love for the animals and had always connected with them.

The animal citizens had fought hard for the limited rights they had and there was a lot of hatred for them trying to obtain rights.

When Jake saw poor Jessie passing by his field, he left his work to talk to her. They immediately became good friends and Jake offered to help her get back to Jimmy. Jake was looking for an adventure and Jessie was forever grateful for his kindness.

After going back to his house for his stuff, Jake joined Jessie and the two headed off on their journey.

Jake and Jessie were crossing a bridge going over a raging river when they heard a cry for help. By the edge of the river sat a tiny iron cage with a baby chicken inside The cage was barely big enough to hold the poor little chick.

“Help me!” the chicken cried.

Jake and Jessie were quick to climb off the bridge to set the defenseless animal free.

         “Thank you so very much!” said the chicken, who then pulled a little package out of his pocket.

         “Here, don’t open this until your situation becomes dire. It could end up saving your life one day. Who knows?” with that, the chicken merrily skipped into the forest.

A few days had passed and Jake and Jessie had hardly eaten anything. They were weak from hunger and needed to eat soon. Although they were surrounded by various berries and mushrooms, they weren’t sure which were edible and didn’t want to take that risk.

         They came upon a worn-out looking shack on the side of the path. They came up to knock on the door to see who lived there.

         Almost immediately, the door swung open and a hermit hobbled out. He looked irritated but soon softened when he saw their weak and hungry condition. He let them inside his home and brought them a plate of food.

         They happily ate and chatted with the elderly man. He had once fought as a soldier in the attack on Sandy River.

         After the meal, the man walked into his sleeping quarters and brought out a beautiful antique sword.

         “I’d like you to have this. You’ll need it for protection. It was once my most prized possession but now it’s just resting on my shelf, growing older as I do. I no longer have any need for this and I have no children to take care of it when I’m gone. ” The man smiled and handed the rusty sword to Jake.

         “You’d better get going if you want to find somewhere to sleep before it gets dark. This is the thickest part of the forest and there isn’t a decent resting place for a few miles. Goodnight.” He led them to the door and bid them farewell.

         The man was right, Jake and Jessie had to walk for several hours before the found a place to sleep.

         They awoke the next morning to a loud cracking sound. Nearby was a lumberjack who was felling trees by the dozen. The raucous was the sound of a particularly big one that smacked right into a rock on its way to the ground. Jake loved the trees and he hastily got up to try and stop any more from being killed.

          He watched the lumberjack pick up his axe and begin to swing when the tree yelped. Confused, he looked around the tree in dismay trying to pinpoint the source of the yelp. He spun around to find Jake and Jessie watching him.

         “Did you guys hear that?” he asked.

         “Yah I think it came from the tree.” Jessie said. The lumberjack scratched his head and began to swing the axe again. Another yelp came from the tree.

         Bewildered, the man circled the tree trying to find whatever was making noise.

         The tree suddenly began to cry.

         “I think you’ve upset it.” Jake said looking at the tree sympathetically.

The lumberjack just laughed and said, “I’ve been cutting down trees my entire life and I know they don’t have feelings.”

         “I actually happen to be a tree whisperer and I know that they can feel pain.” Jake said.

         Suddenly, the tree opened up its eyes and began to talk, “What have you done? You have killed all my dearest friends and you now plan to murder me as well. I can see you didn’t miss my beloved Ashley! She has been my wife for 112 years and our anniversary was tomorrow. Just kill me too, I have nothing left to live for,” said the tree as more tears fell from its eyes.

         Speechless, the lumberjack began to quiver. He looked at the pile of freshly cut trees and ran away.

         Jake and Jessie continued for several more days when they came upon a road. They saw a horse-drawn carriage in the distance coming toward them so they decided to wait for it and try to get a ride.

         The driver was wearing a hood and didn’t look very trustworthy, but they were so exhausted that they didn’t really mind.

         “Would you like a free ride in my carriage? You look tired.”

         “That would be wonderful! Are you heading west?” Jake asked,

         “Yes, I am heading west. I’m actually planning on going to Oaksville.”

         “Great! C’mon Jessie, let’s go!”

         Jake knew that there was something horribly wrong, but he was too tired to figure out what. After riding for about an hour, they both fell fast asleep.

         When they awoke, Jake figured out what was wrong.

         “Um sir, I don’t think that this road leads to Oaksville.”

         “You’re correct. We’re not going to Oaksville anymore,” the driver said with an evil grin. When Jake tried to get up, he realized that he couldn’t. While they were sleeping the man had put a paralysis spell on their legs.

         “You’re not going to get away with this! Do you know who I am?” Jessie screamed.

         “Yes I know who you are. I know everything about you. Your name is Jessie and you’re a poor little princess who ran away from her rich mommy and daddy because she didn’t get her way.”

Jessie’s face turned bright red and she began to sob.

“You’re a terrible person. What do you want with this sweet girl?” Jake said very defensively.

“Ha, well I want to eat her. That’s what I want! There’s nothing you can do to  stop me because I’m The Butcher and you’re just a stupid cow and a potato farmer!” The man drove the carriage off the road and through a thick and murky swamp. Jessie was now sobbing and Jake was desperately trying to comfort her. The carriage drove right into a dark cave on the side of a cliff.

The man stopped the horses and cheerfully hopped out. He ran inside the cave and came out with a succulent looking cake.

“Eat this or else!” the man said.

“Don’t eat it, it could be poisoned. Besides, I’ve got a plan.” Jake said with a smile. “When he comes back out, I’ll stab him with the sword and then we can just wait for the spell to wear off so we can get away from this terrible place.”

Jessie stopped crying and wiped her face, “Do you really think that it’ll work?

“It has to.” Jake said thoughtfully. The man came back outside.

“Why haven’t you eaten anything, you stupid animal?” he yelled angrily.

“I’m afraid that it’s poisoned. If you were to taste it…”

“If I were to taste it? Here, watch… oh!” Jake had stabbed him and the two watched attentively to see what he would do next. The man just laughed and removed his cloak. Jake gasped. Underneath was a chainmail vest. The sword hadn’t done any damage at all.

“Now I really hope that you won’t try any more stunts. I grow tired of this sort of thing.” The man just laughed and left Jake and Jessie alone.

“It… it didn’t work. There’s nothing else that we can do now. This is it. This is the end.” Jake bowed his head in despair.

“Wait! Remember the little package that the chicken gave us?” Jessie said. Jake looked in his pocket.

“I still have it!” Jake quickly unwrapped the package. He was confused when he found a little book inside titled “Vegetarianism.”

“Huh? A book? That’s what was going to save our lives? A book?!?” He threw the book into the cave in his frustration and seconds later he heard a loud scream.

“What was that?” Jessie asked. The Butcher came outside screaming. Hidden inside the pages of the book was a sharp razor that was now sticking out of The Butcher’s forehead.

The butcher keeled over in his agony and passed away. Jake realized that he could now move his legs and Jessie could too. When The Butcher died, so did his magic.

Jake and Jessie ran. They ran for a very long time without stopping, when they realized that the could see Oaksville just over a hill.

Jake grinned at Jessie as they ran up to the city gates.

What Jessie saw when she arrived shocked her. Her jaw dropped and she was rendered speechless. Jimmy was kissing another girl by the fountain. She watched in silence as her heart split down the middle. Jimmy noticed her watching and approached her.

“Jessie, this isn’t what… I know that you’re thinking… Oh Jessie, I thought that you’d never return so I’m with someone else now. I’m so sorry!” He bit his lip and returned to the girl by the fountain.

“Oh Jake! I should’ve never left home. I appreciate your kindness and you can leave if you’d like. I know your potatoes need you.” Jessie said and she began to cry.

“Jessie, I’d never leave you. I love you and I want you to come back with me and be my girlfriend.” Jessie just fell into his arms and sobbed. They went back to Jake’s potato farm and eventually got married. They both lived happily ever after!



The End!!

© Copyright 2009 (:HippieGirl:) (hippie_girl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552628-Vegetarianism-Could-Save-Your-Life