*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553060-Killer-Asteroid
Rated: ASR · Other · Family · #1553060
Parody of news articles, in the style of "The Onion."
Killer Asteroid Beaten by American Spirit (UP & IP News Services)

Earlier today, Astronomers spotted a killer asteroid (designated IKLU2009), at least 7 miles in diameter, heading straight for Earth.  Apparently, it had originated from the Oort Cloud, which is the cosmic debris that surrounds our Solar System. 
Astrophysicists are still calculating its trajectory, and are therefore not sure where on Earth the behemoth asteroid will strike.  As a consequence, the U.S. Delegation of the International Astrophysicist's Union today announced:  "Let the [expletive deleted] come!  We've fought off asteroids bigger than this with one hand tied behind our backs!  Bring it!!!"
  -While shouts of "USA! USA! USA!" rang in the background, the asteroid plunged deeper into the atmosphere, headed apparently for Podunk, Iowa and the total obliteration of the Earth.

IN A RELATED STORY:  Rogue Asteroid Hits Earth, Bounces Off
© Copyright 2009 Anthony Jose Thomas Dring (ajtd1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553060-Killer-Asteroid