*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553774-Idea
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Military · #1553774
soldier under heavy fire and awaiting death from a heavy barrage of tank shells.
Gunshots fired overhead, behind the rows of sand bags and barbed wire I could take solitude knowing that I would be safe for at least another few minutes. I could hear the boy next to me hailing other squads on the radio.
‘ Ha’ what was the point, we were. What’s an appropriate term? We were disposable. We were the guys that if we died no one would care.

A bombardment of shells whistled before exploding near by, me and two other’s had positioned ourselves tactfully out of the way of the advancing tanks. Another whistle and the screams of men could be heard near by, our third, a veteran sat peaceful his rifle resting steadily on the side of the sand bags. As for the boy he urgently screamed down the radio now.

‘They aren’t coming’, I said it with so little hope and so much anger I grew a little more depressed. ‘Why do you have to act that way, we still have a chance, alpha squad said they were on route’. He said it in a way that I may have hit him if we weren’t in the situation we were. ‘Kid’, the veteran squad leader finally spoke up ‘ you hear those screams’, he pointer south west were we had heard the shells ‘ yes sir’, he said it questioningly but I already knew what was coming. ‘ Well’, the veteran looked down in great respect ‘ that’s the alpha squad, I know as a commanding officer they aren’t going to risk another squad of 20 for 3, the number count would end up in minuses’. The commanding veteran said it with so much certainty I could feel tears welling up in the corner of my eyes, for now I was sure death was to swiftly follow.

‘Well, what do you suggest we do, the range and firing arc of those tanks means that we cannot run’? I spoke up for I felt a little hope was better than sitting expecting, waiting for death. ‘That’s true’. The boy an engineer division 12 looked at us both and smiled. ‘I have an idea, he said confidently.
© Copyright 2009 Peter L (peterjl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553774-Idea