*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1555032-A-Dying-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Pastry
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1555032
The life of a Magi is dying out.
         He rode tall in the saddle, despite his aching back. His metal armor weighted heavy on his shoulders. His skin felt stiff with the mix of sweat and blood; the blood of the many Orks and some of his own that had dried under the hot sun. His troop passed by the old Oak tree that marked one more hours’ ride back to town. He hoped one of his father's servants would be getting ready to heat the water for a bath.

         The lieutenant's horse rode up next to him. “How's the steed? You handling her alright, Brightmore?” the lieutenant asked.

         “Yes sir, she's very well mannered. And it goes without saying how much better it is to be riding instead of walking, especially after such a hard fight. Lieutenant Hulbert.” Lucian answered.

         “Well I'll tell you son, you've earned her. The way you fought out there last night, I should think even your father will be proud. I'll be sure to be telling him, next I see him.”

         “Thank you, Sir.” Lucian said.

         “What a victorious battle it was too, you know we didn’t lose a single man, and only a handful were injured. If only we had more battles like this one, all the roads from Gulch to Loomswater to the coast would be safe to travel on, at all times of the year.”

         People had been fighting Orks for as long as anyone could remember. No one was sure anymore who came to this land first the Orks or the Humans.

          “That would be quite the feat.” Lucian replied.

         The lieutenant laughed, “Heck who knows we might even eliminate not only all of the Orks but the Magi as well. Can you just imagine the kind of world this would be without the problems they both cause?”

         “Well sir I don't much see the Magi myself, in fact I don't think I have ever known one. But I can imagine without the Orks, we'd all be out of a job. I don’t suppose I would make a very good blacksmith or watchman.”

         The lieutenant laughed, deep and loud as he rode off again.

         It would be nice to have his father's respect; however it was not the respect of his father that he had strove for since he was a young boy. He wondered if old man Darkber could see him now, if he would be proud. He tried to imagine what words of wisdom the old man would have for him.

          Being the second born son in his family, and having such a talent for sword play, Lucian knew since he was three that he would join the Sparrow Point Army, assuming he would stay in Sparrow Point. Since then he had been told all about the Orks. He had seen his first Ork when he was only ten. The beast was at least eight feet tall, hairy like a bear, and had a snout and snarl of a boar. They walk on their back legs like humans but they have no thumbs, only sharp claws. They live and hunt in packs. They are slightly more civilized than the other animals of the forest, and much more dangerous.

         ~

         Once they got to the base, a stable boy approached Lucian. “Sir, will you be leaving Willow at the base?”

         “No. My father has a stable. Anyway I'd like to spend some more time with her. I want her to feel more comfortable with just me.” Lucian answered.

         “Very good sir,” said the boy as he bowed. Lucian could see a hint of worry in the boy's eyes.

         “She'll be taken good care of, I can assure you.” Lucian said. The boy looked up at Lucian for the first time and smiled.

         “I see the promotion hasn't gone to your head, but how many more is it going to take before you act your rank?” asked the man now standing behind Lucian.

         “Nice to have you back, Aldren. I was wondering how long it would take you this time before you spoke to me again,” Lucian said. Aldren and Lucian had known each other since Aldren was thirteen and Lucian was eleven.

         “I don't know what you're talking about Lucian. I've been busy, that's all. You gonna give me a ride home on that beast or what?” Aldren asked and he hopped up behind Lucian.

         Aldren's house was just down the road from Lucian's. He figured he might as well stop by his own home first, to make sure there would be a bath waiting for him once he got back from taking Aldren home. There was one of his father's servants waiting for him at the gate.

         “Sir Lucian, so glad to see you home. We shall warm up some water for you right away, but first, there is a young woman here to see you.”

         “Young woman? I thought you didn't have time to look for women, I should have known, with your good looks I guess it was only a matter of time. But still you little bastard, how could you go off looking without me?” Aldren said as he hopped off the horse.

         Lucian knew that he was considered quite attractive. He was tall and strong. He had a bit of a tan from either traveling off to battle, or working out in the field, which he did often on his time off. His dark brown hair was usually bit longer than the rest of his troop. He did not get it cut on a regular basis like the rest of them. He usually didn’t bother until it started to get in his eyes. Right now it hung down just above his eyes. He would need to cut it again in a few more weeks. He had the face of a warrior, a strong jaw line and cheek bones and his nose was only slightly crooked from where it had been broken once in training. His eyes however did not entirely seem to fit, they were a deep blue, kind and trusting sort of eyes.

         Ever since Lucian was a boy, people told him that he was blessed with good looks; everyone except for Darkber. Darkber had told him that what other people would consider a blessing, good looks, wealth, fame, even skill, would often be their downfall. He warned Lucian to be careful not to use any of his blessings as a crutch. Lucian took heed of every bit of advice the old man had to give.

         “Must you get riled so quickly? I have not been out looking for women without you,” Lucian said to Aldren. Aldren was only a few inches shorter than Lucian, yet he had a slightly larger build. Lucian could always take him in a fight though. Lucian was more nimble. Aldren’s face was similar to Lucian’s but wider and his nose was perfectly straight. His eyes were dark brown and hard, a real warrior’s eyes. He shouldn’t have had any problems finding women, but all the women in town knew how arrogant he could be.

         Lucian directed his attention to the servant and asked, “Who is she, what does she want?”

         “I have never seen her before sir, but she said she has a letter for you and that she must deliver it to you herself.”

         “Where is she?” Lucian asked.

         “She's waiting for you in the garden.”

         Lucian made his way to the break in the rock wall that surrounded the garden. Aldren was close at his heels. The first place Lucian looked was by the flowers. His mother had loved having all kinds of flowers in the house and had insisted that Meredith, the woman who kept up the garden, include some flowers in with the vegetables. The flower beds were empty. He scanned the rest of the garden.

         “That's not her is it?” Aldren asked.

         “Where?”

         “Over there, by the wall. She's just a peasant.”

         “Must be.” Lucian was surprised to see the woman admiring his favorite part of the garden, where the vines grew along the wall.

         Her shirt was a dark gray, might have once been black. It hung loosely from her strong shoulders and flowed shapelessly down a few inches past her waist. Her pants looked black compared to her shirt, but would look gray compared to his own. They hung from her hips down to her boots. The boots looked altogether too expensive for the rest of the outfit. Her dark brown, unruly hair was tied into a knot at the nape of her neck. Her face was hidden behind a few strands of hair and some dirt on her cheek.

         An image suddenly appeared in Lucian's head, this young woman in a long, dark green, shapely dress with scoop neckline that showed beautiful skin covering her chest and tops of her breasts. Her hair hung in smooth, loose ringlets. Her face was bright and radiant. She may have been a very beautiful woman, if only she had not been born a peasant.

         “Lucian Brightmore?” the peasant asked looking him directly in the eyes as she made her way towards them.

         “Yes do I know you?” Lucian asked.

         “No. It was a lucky guess.” She briefly looked over at Aldren, then back to Lucian. “I have a letter for you, from Darkber McEverat.”

         “Darkber McEverat, who's that?” Aldren asked.

         Lucian's eyes grew wide. Ignoring Aldren's question he asked the woman, “You know Darkber? How... Where... How do you know him?”

         She pulled out the letter and slapped it across his chest, as he caught it she said, “I came here to give you this, nothing more. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some important things to attend to.”

         “How dare you. Lucian is a ranking officer in the Sparrow Point Army. He is one rank away from a lieutenant. You could be beaten for being so disrespectful.” Aldren said as he sneered at her.

         She answered sweetly, despite the ice cold glare in her eyes, “My apologies,” and she turned and walked away.

         Aldren started to go off after her, but Lucian held him back.

         Lucian opened the letter and started to read.



                   Lucian

         I'll be brief because she is probably already walking away. The young woman who gave you this letter is Gale. Don't let her fool you, she's a good girl. You are going to need her help.

         You remember when you were a boy, right before I left I told you that someday I would explain everything to you and then I would have a big favor to ask of you? Well that time has come. I need to see you. I need to speak with you in person and my time in running short.

         The girl, Gale, she is the only person who can take you here. She's the only one who knows where here is. I did not tell her any of this. She would not have delivered the letter at all if I had.

         And Lucian, remember, don't underestimate anything or anyone.

                                                                     Darkber




         Lucian looked up and the girl was gone.

         “So who's this Darkber guy and wha'd he say?” Aldren asked.

         “Not now,” Lucian said as he took off briskly in the direction the girl, Gale, had gone.

         “What the bloody hell...” Aldren said as he hurried off to catch up to Lucian.

         Lucian made his way down the path till it came to a split. Both paths curved around the hill and he could see no one down either of them.

         “She couldn't have gotten very far.” Lucian said to himself.

         “Why are you trying to find that wench anyway?”

         “Because,” Lucian answered dismissively. He closed his eyes and tried to imagine which way she went. Then he took off down one of the paths.

         “How do you know she went this way?” Aldren asked, trying to keep up.

         “I don't, I'm just guessing. If you really wanted to help you could have gone down the other path.”

         “Oh ya... Oh well, too late now.”

         As they rounded the turn Lucian saw someone ahead of them. He called out. “Wait!” The person stopped. He called again, “Ma'am, wait please.” The woman turned around and sure enough it was Gale.

         “Lucky guess,” Aldren muttered.

         Gale just stood there in the middle of the road, arms crossed, one hip cocked out and one eyebrow raised.

         “Please... please...” Lucian panted, “you have to take me to Darkber... please I must go see him.”

         “I'm sorry. I have other things to do and I don't even know you. I'm not taking you anywhere,” she answered.

         “Please you must, I need to see him, it's very important.”

         “I'm sorry,” she said sincerely as she turned to walk away. Her strides were long and even though Lucian’s muscular legs could keep her stride, he struggled.

         “Wait... uh... what is it you have to do? Whatever it is, a young girl like yourself shouldn't be traveling alone, it's dangerous; Orks, Magi, heck even most men. I've been taught to fight since I was a boy, by Darkber himself, actually. I could protect you, keep you safe.”

         She turned around. Her eyes were two cold hurricanes threatening to destroy everything he knew. “What makes you think I need your protection?”

         Lucian looked a little confused. “I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean nothin' by it. I was just... I'm just trying to be helpful.”

         “No. You’re just trying to get me to take you with me. And you’re wasting your breath and my time.” She turned back around to leave.

         “Please... there has got to be something that...”

         “Are you really so spoiled that you've never been told 'no' in your whole life?” she said as she turned slowly to face him again.

         Lucian's nostrils flared as he took a deep breath. “Look you don't even know me. I'm trying to be nice; trying to make this worth your while. But I'm not giving up. It is too important that I see him, I will follow you if I have to.”

         “You wouldn't get very far. And anyway why does it matter so much? You got your letter. I can't imagine anything you have to say to him is worth this much trouble. If you want I'll deliver a letter back to him, but I'm not taking you.” Then under her breath she mumbled something about Lucian not even knowing the old man.

         “Don't know him? He's like a father to me, he raised me. Taught me everything I know. I spent seven years of my life with him because my father didn't have the time to teach me himself.”

         Gale crossed her arms around her chest, she apparently did not mean for him to hear her mumbled argument. “Yes I know all that. However there is still a lot you don't know.”

         “Which is why I have to see him.” Lucian almost pleaded.

         Everything went quiet for a moment.

         “Alright look, I'll tell you where he is and you can go see him on your own time. There's a town West of here called Seedstone. Follow the main west road and you should be there within a few days. You can't miss it.”

         Aldren, who had been so still and so quiet that both Lucian and Gale and forgotten he was standing there, clasped his hands together and looked like a little boy who was just told that he could have all the candy in the world while his sister could have none.

         Gale turned to leave again. Then Lucian said “Huh... That's strange because in the letter he said…” Gale turned back around to look at Lucian. “He said only you knew the way. How could it be hard to miss?”

         “What? He said that? What else did he say? Can I see that letter?” Gale asked with narrow eyes.

         Lucian took the letter out from his pocket and asked, “So he's not in a town called Seedstone, along the west road, hard to miss?” Gale just looked at him and stretched out her open palm. As she grasped for the letter he pulled it out of her reach, tilted his head to the side and raised one eyebrow.

         Gale sighed “No... I lied... I'm sorry. Now can I please have the letter?”

         “I don't know if this is what he wanted... but you've given me no other choice.” Lucian handed her the letter.

         As she read it, Lucian tried to read her facial expression. It was a strange mix between irritation and amusement. She handed it back to him and sighed again.

         “I'm mot heading straight there. As I've said there is something else I need to do first, and it would be another day out of my way to come back through here afterwards.” Gale said, sounding defeated.

         “Ok, I'll go with you.”

         “Not smelling like that you’re not. I have some things I can take care of here in town. We can leave first thing in the morning.”

         Lucian's eyes narrowed, “And how do I know you won't just leave without me?”

         “Guess you'll just have to trust me,” she said with one eyebrow raised as she turned to walk away.

         ~

         Lucian and Aldren both went home while Gale went into town. Lucian took his long needed bath. Despite his anticipation, he slept well after such a long night of battle. In the morning he got some cloths, his long sward, a few knives and some food together for his trip. He debated on if he should bring Willow or tread softly. As the sun peaked over the mountain he stood in the yard the waiting, hoping that Gale would show up. His bag was tossed over Willow's back with his sward on her side.

         Willow neighed and stomped her hooves alerting Lucian. Lucian looked up and saw a figure walking along the path to his house. He looked carefully to identify the person. He was disappointed to find that it was only Aldren. As Aldren came closer, Lucian noticed that he was carrying a bag much like his own.

         “And where do you think you’re going?” Lucian asked as his friend approached.

         “You think I'd let my best man go off with some devious beggar, all on his own?”

         “She's not a beggar, and that was not really part of the agreement.”

         “Well tough because I'm going. I've already taken my temporary leave from the troop, so if I can't go then I'm in a tight spot. I'm told that they have already filled our ranks.”

         “In one night? Well if that's the case we might both be in a tight spot, because I'm not even sure she's coming back.” Lucian said with a sigh.

         Just then he heard the sound of someone clearing their throat from behind him. He whirled around to find Gale running her hands though Willow mane. He hadn't even heard her approach, very unusual for him.

         “How did you…?” he said to Gale then Lucian's eyes narrowed at Willow.

         “The Inn here is more expensive than it's worth, so I set camp right back through there,” she pointed to the thick forest next to his house.

         “How long have you been standing there?” Lucian asked

         Gale shot a quick glance at Aldren and said, “We'd best get going. You taking the horse?”

         “If that’s not a problem. I thought she could be of some use, we could take turns riding so we don't have to stop as often.”

         “Well she can't very well hold all three of us,” she said.

         Lucian looked at Aldren. He looked just as shocked as Lucian felt, but not as pleased.

         Without another word, they made their way through town. The light of the sun made its way through the roads and along the shops' walls. Lucian had seen the town in such luminous light many times before. Today however there was something different; he felt almost as if he would never see any of it again.

         After they pass through the town, they continued down on a barren road. Lucian remembered that a troop from the Sparrow Point Army had just recently been through this way; therefore it should be cleared of any Orks. The further down the road they got, the foliage grew thicker and closer to the road. In an attempt to break the tension, Lucian suggested that Gale should ride Willow, only to receive an immediate and dismissive refusal. Before Lucian could make the offer to Aldren, Aldren suggested that Willow should get use to Lucian. Lucian paused as he ran his hand along Willows neck and gently hopped up into the saddle.

         “So exactly where are we going, and what are we doing?” Lucian asked curiously.

         Gale stepped carefully while looking up at him. He glanced back, unable to look from her eyes that seemed to be searching his for an answer. She seemed to be making some decision about him and what to tell him.

         Gale pulled her hood over her head as she looked down the road, allowing Lucian to look elsewhere. “There is a man being held prisoner in the Mount Ossic jail who I need to speak with...” she paused, “I'm going to need to break him out in order to do so.”

         “We're going to be freeing a prisoner?” Aldren almost shouted.

         Gale threw a sharp glance in his direction, lips tight and looked away.

         “Who is this man and why do you need to speak with him so badly?” Lucian ask being diplomatic.

         “His name is Rune Dalleion. He...”

         “The Magi?” Alden sharply addressed.

         Lucian looked at Alden with concern.

         “A Magi? We’re going to break a Magi out of jail? No way. Absolutely not, that's absurd. That's a serious offense. Not to mention its just plain stupid. He is exactly where he belongs, why should we break him out?” Aldren said.

         “The only reason he's in jail is because he's a Magi. He didn't do anything wrong.” Gale answered quietly, though even Aldren could hear the anger in her words.

         “If he's a Magi I'm sure he did plenty wrong. They're dangerous people. With the kind of abilities they have, even a Magi child could be a threat. At least now people are smartening up to their malicious ways.” Aldren argued back.

         “They are no more dangerous than a man skilled with a sword or crossbow. They used to be, a few generations ago, when they were more powerful, but that was when they stood side by side with the Figs, instead of being persecuted for being who they are.”

         Lucian had heard the word Fig only a handful of times. Since he spent most of his life trying to avoid the gossip and ghost stories that the town’s men and women seemed to live for, it was not a name he had ever bothered to know the meaning of. Of course Aldren knew. He was one of those men who lived for such talk.

         “What's a Fig?” Lucian asked to no one in particular.

         “Everyone who's normal,” Aldren answered.

         “Everyone who isn't a Magi,” Gale spoke up.

         “And they still can be more dangerous even now that they are weakened, thank the heavens. They use magic, they don’t even need weapons. And they’re unpredictable. There are so many different forms of magic that each one of them uses it in a different way.” Aldren argued.

         “Actually that’s incorrect. There are about twenty different strands of magic and each strand has certain abilities it can control. Every Magi has only one dominant strand. Magi’s with the same dominant strand fight very similar to each other. The same way a Fig fights differently depending on what weapon he uses.”

         It was rare indeed for anyone to know more than Aldren, be it tale or truth. Before he could get in another word that would send the two back into their bickering, Lucian asked Gale, “How do you know so much about the Magi?”

         Gale paused, looked up at Lucian and said, “I guess you’re going to find out sooner or later, better now when you can find your way home.” She took a deep breath, and then continued, “I am a Magi.”

         Aldren went into an uproar. Lucian just stared at Gale in silence.

         Gale could tell nothing from Lucian’s expression, or lack thereof. So instead she tried to address some of the things she could make out from Aldren’s rant. “I’m not going to steal from you, you have nothing I want. If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it already. And if you don’t want to trust me that’s your prerogative, I couldn’t care less.”

         Aldren grabbed a hold of Lucian’s arm to get his attention. “This is sickening. I don’t see the point in hearing any more of what she has to say, let’s just go. If we travel horseback, we can make it back home before sundown.”

         “But… Darkber.”

         “You’re going to stick around with a Magi just to see that old man? Common he isn’t worth that much.”

         “Yes, he is worth that much, to me he is.” Lucian turned back around to face Gale, a Magi. She was not what he expected a Magi to be.

         Gale stood without moving. She looked up at Lucian frowning. Then she said, “Before we go any further, I think it is only right that you know.”

         “Know what? There’s more?” Lucian asked.

         “I’m afraid so. Darkber…” she took a deep breath, “Darkber is also a Magi.”

         Then there was deep silence. Even Aldren made no noise. A cold breeze blew around them and everyone remained deadly still. Gale and Aldren both looked up at Lucian, waiting. Finally Lucian gripped the reigns so hard his knuckles turned white, and slowly turned Willow around. Gale’s face never changed, she simply averted her gaze towards the ground. Aldren turned quickly to follow Lucian. Lucian still held the reigns tightly as Willow walked slowly in the direction they had come.

         “I hope you don’t mind,” Gale said, just barely loud enough for Lucian to hear, “If I tell Darkber that you tried your hardest to come, but that I never agreed to take you along with me and though you tried to follow me, I quickly lost you.”

         Lucian closed his eyes and pulled Willow to a stop. Aldren looked up at him with wide eyes. Finally, lips tight, Lucian looked down at Aldren and said, “You don’t have to come with me, but I must go.” He turned Willow around once more. He made his way back to Gale’s side and gave her a short nod. He never looked back at Aldren. He did not see the scowl on his face or his arms crossed over his chest. He did however, hear him trudging quickly along to catch up and walk beside Willow, opposite Gale.

         ~

         The silence grew around them once more. Lucian looked over at Gale who still had her hood up. He could only see a sliver of her face, but from what he saw she didn’t seem bothered by the silence. After another four hours of walking, Lucian noticed Aldren starting to drag his legs a bit. He figured Gale might be getting tired as well, so he hopped off Willow and offered her to Gale. He received the same dismissive refusal as before. When Aldren tried to refuse, Lucian insisted, saying he would soon be holding them up if he continued on foot. Lucian considered walking on the same side of Willow as Aldren had, keeping his distance from the strange Magi, who’s very presence was causing an unnerving interest within Lucian. His curiosity seemed innocent enough; though it was very unlike him. He wondered how much of his curiosity was because she was a Magi. A fist made its way down his throat and settled in his stomach as he thought of Darkber being a Magi. He thought back to how Darkber was; his personality, his reaction to things, his very demeanor. He tried to compare it what he saw in Gale, wondering what characteristics were unique to them as individuals and what things attributed to being a Magi. What sort of things were there behind the surface of both of them which would cause such hatred among his own people?

         He decided it might be a more peaceful walk if he walked in between Aldren and Gale.

         Another four hours past. They were now on the outskirts of another town, a smaller town. Lucian could feel the slightest ach in his legs. He tried a different approach this time and said, “Another four hours, alright Gale, your turn on Willow.”

         “No, thank you,” she said.

         “You’ve been walking for eight hours now; you must be at least a little tired.”

         “I’m fine, I’m used to walking.” She would have sounded very convincing if her toe hadn’t caught on a root that was curving up higher than all the rest. A strong wind blew against them just as she started to fall forwards. Instinctively Lucian shot his arms out and grabbed a hold of her waist, pulling her back up to her feet.

         She twisted quickly to break free from the hands that were already letting go. She murmured a thank you and strode off ahead of them.

         Once they got into town Lucian notice thick clouds in the sky threatening to break free. Gale made her way into one of the stores.

         Lucian tied Willow up in front of the store and followed her and Aldren inside, closing the door behind him. The store was a mix match of stuff. There were books and tapestries in the back, trinkets along the wall, spices on a long table next to the counter and a few gemstones behind the counter. Gale was already in the back looking through the books. The shopkeeper behind the counter looked surprised. Not many peasants were taught to read. He walked up next to her and said quietly, “I’m sorry if I scared you.”

         She looked up at him slightly surprised and said, “You didn’t scare me.” Then she turned back to continue browsing the books. When she notice that he was still looking at her, trying to figure out what to say, obviously still confused, she said, “I just didn’t want you to ask me again to ride Willow. So I kept my distance. What’s it to you anyways?”

         Lucian didn’t want to admit his curiosity to her, so in an attempt to avoid the question he said, “Why are you so against riding Willow?”

         She picked up one of the books and then walked over to the spice table. Aldren was at the counter admiring the gems, no doubt wishing he had someone to buy one for. She looked through the section of spices labeled ‘Rare Spices.’

         “There’s no shame in it you know, it doesn’t make you week or needy.” A noise came from Gale that sounded almost like a laugh as she shook her head. Lucian continued, “That’s what I brought her along for, so we wouldn’t have to all be beat by the end of the day. So we could take break or two from the walking.”

         “And so you could get used to each other, you and Willow” Aldren added in as he shot Gale a quick look.

         “Yes and that. Gale,” he lightly grabbed her elbow turning her to face him as he said, “Why are you being so stubborn?”

         Gale’s jaw tightened as she pulled her arm out of his grasp. A small breeze rustled some of the papers the merchant was working on behind the counter. The shopkeeper looked up curiously. He looked over at the door that was closed against the rain that was just starting to fall. Then he got up to secure the windows that all appeared to be closed.

         “I walked all the way here and I have walked much longer distances before. I did just fine then and I’ll do just fine now.” Gale said calmly as she watched the shopkeeper who was making his way back to his paperwork.

         “I’ve walked long ways before myself before I got Willow,” Lucian said. Aldren cleared his throat. Lucian added, “We both have. And it’s just nicer to ride when you can, you don’t get as tired as quickly, it’s just more efficient.”

         “What are you trying to sell her your horse?” Aldren asked tartly.

         “That’s all fine and well.” Gale said as she gave up looking for her spices. She took out a beautiful, blue Safire gem from her bag and set it on the counter. It was the size of Lucian’s pinky nail.

         Aldren’s eyes grew wide, “Where did you…?”

         “I travel a lot… on foot.” She added. Then turned to the shopkeeper and asked, “Are you buying gems today?”

         Lucian barely paid any attention the transaction that was now taking place between Gale and the storekeeper. There was something she was not telling him and he was determined to find out what it was. “So you aren’t planning on riding at all? You’re going to walk the whole way while Aldren and I ride?” he interrupted.

         Gale took a deep breath, turned to Lucian and said, “That’s right. So I would appreciate it if you would drop it from here on out.”

         “Why? You’re hiding something. I don’t know what it is. I don’t even know if it has anything to do with riding Willow or not, but I know there is something. And from what I understand we have a long ways to go before we are free of each other so it’s important that we have some sort of trust.”

         “Lucian let it go, you can’t trust her anyways she’s…” Aldren started to say.

         Gale’s jaw was clenched again. She averted her cold eyes away from his face. She said quietly, “This is not one of your army excursions; I’m not part of your troop. We don’t need to trust each other.”

         Lucian knew she was right, he knew they both were. However he did not care, he needed to know. He took a step towards her and said “Tell me.” His voice was quite but stern.

         Gale spun around to face the counter again and said very quietly, “I don’t know how to ride a horse.” Another gust of wind blew through the shop, rustling the shopkeeper’s papers. His head shot up and he glared at Gale. She didn’t look at him, she just kept her jaw clenched and closed her eyes.

         “Get out of my store, Magi.” The storekeeper said. He was quite and cold, bitterly cold.

         Without a word or a glance up, Gale took her gem, left the book that she had picked out, and walked out into the rain.

         “You too,” he said to Lucian. “And you if your with them,” he said to Aldren.

         Stunned, Lucian made his way to the door in silence, Aldren was quick behind him. Lucian had been so caught up in trying to figure out what Gale had been hiding, he had not really been paying attention to the shopkeeper and whatever else was going on. As the three of them, four with Willow, made their way quickly through the town, he went over in his head what had just happened. Finally it clicked; the wind.

         “The wind…” Lucian said, “It was from you.”

         Gale sighed and said, “Yes, wind is my element. I usually have better control over it than that.” She turned to look him in the eyes. “So next time would you please refrain from prying for answers around other people? Or perhaps you should refrain from speaking to me at all.”

         “Around other people?” Lucian asked. Gale glanced over at him but did not answer. “Are you usually so easily riled?” Lucian chuckled. Then all of a sudden a strong just of wind pushed against him. He had to close his eyes and mouth to keep them from drying out. As quickly as it had come, the wind was gone again. 

         One corner of Gale’s mouth was curved up just slightly; it was the closest thing to a smile he had seen on her face. Normally she looked very plain, but as she smiled, or more correctly smirked, there was something almost attractive about her.

         Suddenly Aldren said, “It was inconvenient, but understandable that the shopkeeper would react so. Just imagine; if word got out that he was doing business with a Magi. He’d go out of business, and with just cause.”

         “Aldren,” Lucian attempted.

         “What?”

         “You could show a little respect at least.”

         “Respect? Are you serious? What is wrong with you? Why are you siding with her? With them? Don’t you know who they are? Don’t you know what they can do and what they’ve done?

         “I’m not siding with them. I don’t really know who they are or what they can do. I…” Lucian sighed and spoke more quietly, as if it would make what he was about to say hurt Gale less. “I know they are not good people, but I still don’t see any point in being blatantly disrespectful and rude to them for no reason.”

         “No reason?” Aldren almost shouted, and then he quieted down again and continued. “No, I guess you wouldn’t know who they are or what they could do. It’s not talked about often, but it’s something I think you need to hear.

         “About sixty years ago the Magi and the Figs were at peace together. They lived among us, fought beside us against the Orks; it was not even uncommon for Magies and Figs to marry. There were even some Magi with the ability to make items that would allow Figs to use magic, whatever magical ability the item was made for. Generation after generation all was well between the two. That is until the Magi betrayed us all.

         “No one knows all the details anymore, but what we do know is that it started with a meeting in Goldwick. Goldwick was the most prosperous cities at the time. It was the very city that King Persaud lived. Anyway, all of the most powerful Magi had gathered for this meeting, the first meeting of its kind. It lasted for days, and during that time everything in the city started to go haywire. All of a sudden all of the magical items that the Figs used were either not working or doing the opposite of what they were supposed to do. And much worse things were happening as well. The cattle started dying for no apparent reason, food that should have been good for weeks more, was suddenly spoiling, fights were breaking out over nothing in particular.

         “Then, when they thought things couldn’t get any worse, the Orks attacked the city; the very city that hundreds of the most powerful Magi around all happened to be gathered in. However, they all stayed in their big conference room, supplied by the king himself no less, with the doors locked. The Figs tried to ask them, beg them for help, but the Magi never answered.

         “The Figs, half starved, no reliable magic to use, and no Magi around to help them, lost the battle. Almost the entire city was wiped out.

         “Afterwards, the Magi acted like they had no idea what had gone on, as if they had not heard the cries and pleas of the Figs right outside their doors. The king had every one of the Magi in that meeting killed, which angered all the rest of the Magi. Apparently they thought they would get away with what they had done. ”

         “That’s not…” Gale sighed, “It wasn’t like that.”

         “Oh really? How was it then? It wasn’t their fault right? They couldn’t possibly be held accountable for any of it. Is that right? That is what all your people ever have to say about it.”

         Gale’s lips tightened as she looked away, a single tear ran down her check. They continued on, in silence once again.

© Copyright 2009 Pastry (bright_eyes_ac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1555032-A-Dying-Life