*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1555761-Cultural-Thalis
Rated: E · Article · Cultural · #1555761
India- Unity in Diversity
Every state of India has its own unique culture, customs, traditions, costumes, language, climate, people…That is why it sounds abcd to our ears when we hear about “India- a Nation with Unity in Diversity”…

Thinking of another very important aspect of this diversity I want to mention about FOOD…

Most of us say “I eat to live”…I remember one of my cousins always saying “Chinki, I live to eat” and giggle thereafter…She was a foodaholic then…Don’t know whether she still follows the same rule for herself after 6 years of her marriage…

Lot of the people around are so food conscious everytime, all the time that they give us complex … My brother-in-law does not touch food after 8 pm…He is a health-freak…

I am a total foody…loves food of all kinds except non-vegetarian which I have never tasted in my life…I sometimes hog on to it like I have not eaten for years or was in the Kala Pani jail or something…but have realized lately that it is very important to eat intelligently and healthy…

In mah trip…we ate traditional Gujrati thali a couple of times in Porbandar, Dwarka and Ahmedabad…It was awesome…lot of options in starters, main course as well as desserts with the plate neatly laid out and the waiters forcing you to eat some more…Also quite a cheap option for people who love to get a taste of wholesome home-made food…One unique feature of Gujrati food is that they put little sugar in everything…

Since, I am from Bengal, I am quite fond of the Bengali thali as well…Luchi, chaana dal, alur dom aar mishti doi…fabulous…with a maalpua or rosogulla as desserts…(although I hate rasgullas, I guess I have never tasted them)…For non-vegetarians fish curry or Macher jhol is the best option…For Kolkatans who are away from kolkata in Mumbai, ‘Oh Calcutta’ is the best option one can explore…100% satisfaction guaranteed…

Another very important side of my being is that I am from Haryana- A Marwari…and I love the Marwari thali……Dal, baati, churma with lot of desi ghee…Gatte ki sabzi, lahsun kii chatni aur dal ki roti/ misi roti…Dal ka halwa, Badaam ka halwa and rabri…awesome…

Near Haryana is another state famous for its bindaas people and food...Punjab...Who doesnt love a Punjabi food...Punjabis swear by it...Makke di roti te sarson da saag, chole bature...Noticed a crazy punjabi family with two dominating women stealing the show in the train. They were the mothers-in-law to some n no. of bahus who were returning to Mumbai from a marriage function at Ambala (punjab). They were having white butter on the rotis and radish with all their meals...They love food...and like marwaris they love their food with lots of ghee and masalas...

Going straight down- Which Indian doesn’t know about South Indian food…A world famous Indian delicacy that has taken the form of Fast food lately…Round Idlis…Elongated Dosas…Coconut chutney…Sambhar…Rasam…You must see the southies hogging on to their thalis…it’s a great view…

Last but not the least…writing of Maharashtra or Mumbai…the Financial capital of India…I am not too fond of the Marathi food…frankly speaking…never dared to buy a thali…but love the road-side chaat…Pani puri, Wada Paw, Masala Paw, Bun maska, Paw bhaji (most items include paw or bread)

Having covered all the four zones, I know I have missed out on a lot of specific food items special to some states…I am yet to taste them…

Wanted to leave with a small thoughtful note…Its just that 2 inch muscle- the tongue element of the mouth which makes us commit sin without sending signals to the brains…Just a pleasure of some moments before we gulp down…After which we don’t realize…What converts into good and what lies there…
© Copyright 2009 gunjanb (gunjanbagaria at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1555761-Cultural-Thalis