*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1557398-The-Appointed-Leader
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1557398
Short Story for SS101 Writers Academy, Lesson 1
The new day started just about the same way as it ended on the previous day. Sergeant Hill sat in his patrol cruiser wondering why he felt so inadequate. He was dealing with issues of self-doubt and depression. Just two months ago, he had been appointed as a supervisor for the day shift. He had no problem performing as a supervisor but instead had problems with dealing with another supervisor. A conflict between the two supervisors was causing a sense of turmoil among the subordinates.

To get a sense of the underlying problem you have to understand where this conflict began. Just a year ago, Hill was only a patrol officer. Hill tested for the rank of Corporal and was promoted a short time later. Just two months after his promotion to Corporal, he was assigned to the rank of Sergeant. This selection was not viewed as a fair move by other members of the department. Others thought that there were better candidates for the position who were already Sergeants and had many more years of experience. This entire selection was seen as an injustice by members of the police officers union which put Hill in a difficult situation.

Hill accepted the position because he felt that if he did not take it he would never have another chance for advancement within the department. Hill wasted no time in taking control of his shift. He immediately set out to form goals for his officers and was seen as a supervisor that was on a mission. Hill had many years experience as a supervisor in the military and was a natural when it came to leadership qualities. The problem was not whether Hill was a good leader but instead could he turn the views of his fellow supervisors.

A few months went by and the department as a whole started to grasp the idealoligy of Hills mission. Other supervisors started coming to Hill to seek advice on how to motivate their officers. Officer Hill’s methods were being used across all three shifts and it brought a great sense of pride to him. Hill started to delegate authority to lower ranks and giving those around him more responsibility. Hill also knew that there was another position available for the rank of Sergeant. Hill took another Corporal under his wing and started getting him ready to move up into the vacant position. Hill also went to his Captain and put the idea in his head to talk to the Chief about appointing the Corporal to the position. A month later, the Corporal was appointed as an acting Sergeant. This move suddenly opened up the eyes of all the Corporals in the department and they now felt that their rank actually meant something.

Hill is looked at as one of the best Sergeants in the department. He understands the mission of the department and focuses on communication among everyone. Hill still has days were he wonders what others are thinking. Roadblocks still come and go but he has attempted to do the best in his appointed position. He is looking forward to the next promotional procedure so he can actually obtain the promotion to Sergeant. In the mean time, he continues to lead others toward a common goal. By the way, that is the actual meaning of being a leader.

And as far as the conflict with the other supervisor, well it will continue. It all has to do with another supervisor actually having to step up and perform. He will eventually get over it all, but in the meantime some things just cannot be made to work.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
© Copyright 2009 usmc329 (usmc329 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1557398-The-Appointed-Leader