*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558220-Portugal---In-A-World-Of-Its-Own
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Pengy
Rated: E · Article · Travel · #1558220
A Travel Article about Portugal. Comments muchly appreciated!
Breathtaking. Mind-blowing. Remarkable. Exceptional. Yes, these four words can only describe one place really, and that is… Portugal.
Believe it or not, Portugal is the seventh most peaceful country in the whole wide world. In particular, the southern Algarve - Europe's sunniest spot (a unique jewel where the finest beaches and weather on the continent meet traditional historic Portugal) which is well-known for its soothing atmosphere as well as its sandy coves backed by low rocky cliffs. Furthermore Portugal is famous for its long-winded rounds of golf and just like the English, they are mad about their football. Additionally throughout many of the resorts of Portugal there are many wonderful people, who are always glad to help you out whenever possible (although, remember they do speak Portuguese).

One of these resorts is Carvoeiro where I visited for one week in July 2008.
Carvoeiro or more commonly known as Praia de Carvoeiro is a picturesque fishing village, around three quarters of an hour drive from Faro Airport. During recent years, Carvoeiro has become a very popular resort for British tourists but still retains its local charm and unlike some of the larger resorts nearby it has resisted the temptation to expand upwards. You will not see a single skyscraper or tower block here, and the cars are almost as slow as the pedestrians! The place has a truly international flavour and I would not hesitate to recommend Carvoeiro as a holiday destination.

Unfortunately my experience of Carvoeiro did not get off to the greatest of starts. Let me paint the picture…
Nine a.m. - Thursday 10th July 2008. Around two hundred passengers and myself sat on a cramped Boeing 757 at Manchester Airport. The reason: A “technical problem” caused the plane to be halted for approximately three hours! Although the situation did improve after a couple of hours, when each and every passenger received “one” plastic cup of still water for their endurance and “lack of complaint” towards the cabin crew.
Fortunately this “mystery problem” was eventually, but un-expectantly solved and we slowly but surely taxied out to the end of the runway. One of the most enjoyable silences in my life is that prolonged hush that fills the cabin as the aircraft begins to taxi along the runway and takes off. It is an absolutely incredible feeling; one whole week ahead of you- the sun, sand and sea. What more can you ask for?

I totally adore flying and would take every possible opportunity to get onto a flight. I just marvel at the complete genius and total awesomeness of the technology and age we are privileged to be living in. I imagine what a similar journey would have taken one hundred or two hundred years ago.

The complex I was staying at was Colina Village, located on the edge of Carvoeiro midway between Lagoa and Carvoeiro centre and just over a mile from the beach. Upon arrival the complex looks immaculate and spacious. (Spacious is the word that perhaps best describes Colina Village.) 
From the moment I arrived at the villa-style complex I noticed the tranquil atmosphere; with the neat lawns surrounding the large swimming pool to the spacious apartments, the accommodation is a high quality standard for its three star rating.

The resort of Carvoeiro is beautiful, especially when viewed from the hills on either side of the town. It is layered with white-washed villas and buildings, which seem to undulate in harmony with the natural rocky landscape. The beach is small but ample and is fringed with seaside cafes and restaurants and still home to local fishermen whose boats complete the picture postcard scene.
Carvoeiro is quite a commercialised town but you have to expect that anywhere on mainland Europe these days, especially if it's by the sea and anywhere near the Mediterranean (although the Algarve's shoreline is actually on the Atlantic).

Like any resort in Portugal, Carvoeiro is an ideal place to eat, drink and be merry! You can choose from a wide spread of delicious, home-baked dishes, many of which are healthy and fulfilling. You can also follow the Portuguese and indulge in some of the most exquisite, sugar-loaded sweet goodies, and forget the waistline, and the dentist.
If there is one thing that typifies traditional Portuguese food, however, it is fish. From the common anchovy to swordfish, sole, sea bream, bass and salmon, markets and menus reveal the full extent of Portugal's love affair with seafood.  Although I really cannot stand the smell or tastes of most fish myself!
The opportunity to sample this largely unknown cuisine in all its variety is one of the real rewards of visiting Portugal in my opinion and the food is in a league of its own compared to English food which is plain, uninteresting and even tasteless.

Portugal is a very economical destination and still one of the best value places to be enjoyed anywhere in Europe.

Unfortunately all good holidays must come to an end and the flight back home to Manchester is never quite the same.
What frustrates me though more than anything is the following “expression”.
“Welcome back to Manchester. The local time is approaching half past one.”
This drives me up the bend when a member of the cabin crew announces this message. I do not want to be in Manchester; I still want to be in Carvoeiro! Sadly that is life, but I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that I would definitely return to Carvoeiro one day because the resort and the people are simply class and Portugal is top of my league for countries to visit.
© Copyright 2009 Pengy (gingermourinho at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558220-Portugal---In-A-World-Of-Its-Own