*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558300-Precious-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1558300
About a girl remembering a car crash that killed her partner.
Precious Life

Shannow is where they buried him, a quiet little place surrounded by trees, winding paths and dusty roads. The area was unknown to most people. It was a place of peace and tranquillity, I liked to visit quite often. It was a small cemetery hidden by the large oaks which stood tall nearby. I liked to sit a his grave and reminisce of the moments we had shared together. It didn’t feel right him being so far away. His grave glistened from the morning dew as the sun reached out its arms, touching every blade of grass in sight. It felt as though he was near me, with me, holding me.

It was only three months since the accident but I felt so alone. He was only twenty five, he wasn’t even driving, I was. It was a cold night, still, numb. The fog choked the air, it was cloudy; I couldn’t see. “They” should have been punished, not Caleb. As the joy riders appeared through the mist I panicked and lost control. It was another late night after work, just routine. We always enjoyed working together and kept each other company on the long commute home. All of a sudden he just lay there sleeping, sleeping forever. The trees whispered the truth as my mind wandered into denial. My body stiff, filled with fear; his body frail, weak, helpless. It was never supposed to end this way but I was powerless. I didn’t speak, I didn’t cry, I didn’t move. Just irreparable, unprotected. His family and friends wept and said their goodbyes as his coffin disappeared beneath us.

Time will heal the terrible nightmare but inside me I will continue to carry his soul wondering and thinking of when we’ll meet again.
© Copyright 2009 Purple-Orchid (sue1906 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558300-Precious-Life