*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559649-Far-Sighted-Ch-2-Unwilling-Engagements
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1559649
"Let's see how the sapling holds up against the storm."
Chapter 2

Unwilling Engagements



         The ride hadn’t helped with anything.  It didn’t matter which angle I looked at the situation, it didn’t make sense.  There were no answers to be found, only more questions.  I wanted to scream; there was no end to this.

         “What does it mean Clover?”  Of course no answer came.  What had I expected? 

         We had nearly made it back to the monastery as darkness fell over the mountains.  Entering the gates, I felt an ominous cloud envelope my heart.  Something wasn’t right.

         “Ah, Adanna, you’ve finally returned.”

         I started at the voice from the shadows.  Father Thomas slithered from the darkness, an evil smirk distorting his features. 

“Father Thomas,” I acknowledged carefully.

         “I would like you to stable Clover and meet me in the great hall.”

         No other words were spoken and before I could ask why, he left.  With no other choice than to do as he said, I complied.  The great hall was dark, only a single candle lighting the far corner.  Father Thomas stood with his back to me, almost completely in shadow just beyond the light of the candle. 

“Come forward, Adanna.”

         A voice in the back of my head warned me not to heed his command, but another argued that nothing could happen to me in a house of God.  I was stepping forward before I had fully decided to do so and soon found myself standing right behind Father Thomas.  Turning around to face me, terror I had never known consumed my every thought.

         “There is someone I would like you to meet, Adanna.  He is among the knights you saved and he would like to show his gratitude.” 

         I felt more than heard someone approaching from behind.  A gasp escaped my lips when I turned to find a gruesome giant towering over me.

         “Adanna, this is Sir Damon.”  A chill ran down my spine.  “To show his gratitude he has offered to take you away from here and give you a home of your own.”

         The room spun, my mind reeling with disbelief.  It couldn’t be.  “No…”  It was only a whisper, but in the silence of the hall I was sure they heard me. 

         “What?”  Father Thomas gripped my arm, squeezing harder than necessary.

         “No,” I repeated, this time louder.  “I’m sorry but I wish to remain here.”  I wasn’t really sorry, but I knew being polite might just get me out of this mess.

         “You have no right to refuse.  While Father Michael is away I see to all the major affairs of this monastery, including the affairs of the orphans who reside here.  You will marry Sir Damon, and you will leave with him.”

         Another pair of hands enclosed my arms, larger and rougher than Father Thomas’s.  Heat from his breath chilled my very soul as he whispered into my ear from behind. 

“I could give you everything you ever wanted.”  One of his filthy hands came around my waist and I felt my insides clutch in panic. 

         I couldn’t look to Father Thomas for help, he was turning a blind eye to the knight’s actions. 

“No!”  I tried to wrench myself from Sir Damon’s grip, but years on the battle field provided him a strength I had no hope of overcoming.

         “I think we can begin the ceremony.”  Sir Damon’s calloused voice echoed in the darkness of the hall.

         “As you wish.”

         What?  No, this wasn’t happenning.  I threw my elbow back into Sir Damon’s stomach, trying in vain to free myself.  My struggles only seemed to please him.  Choking darkness blanketed my sight as Sir Damon’s arms tightened painfully.

         “We are…”  Father Thomas had begun the marriage ceremony.  Please no, was all I could think, helpless to save myself.  “…in the sight of God…”

         The doors of the hall crashed open, the dark sillouhette of a man outlined against the moonlight. 

“God is not here.  His presence ceased to dwell in this place the moment the devil was allowed entrance.”  Anger rolled from the man in torrents, giving him the appearance of a destroying angel.  “Did you honestly think I would stand by while you sealed Adanna’s doom?”

         “Sir Alden.”  Fear radiated from Father Thomas as he recognized the voice behind the shadow.  The rasp of a sword being released from its sheath sent the monk stumbling back. 

         “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of an old man.”  Sir Damon sneered at the cowering monk. 

         The only way I avoided hitting my head was the slight tightening of Sir Damon’s grip before he threw me to the ground.  Another sword was loosed from its sheath and Sir Damon faced Sir Alden, murder blazing in his eyes.

         “Adanna, I want you to leave.”  I stared at Sir Alden, frozen in place, not wanting to desert him. 

“Adanna!” 

Starting, I pushed myself up on my knees, ready to obey.

         “I don’t think so.”  Sir Damon countered his command, stepping between me and my escape.  “Our wedding is in progress, you see, and it would be inconvenient for the bride to leave.”

         “There will be no wedding tonight.”  Sir Alden raised his sword to emphasize his point.  “You will have to do it over my cold, dead corpse.”

         Sir Damon only smiled. 

“Then what are we waiting for?”  Damon’s sword came up, muscles tense and ready for the fight.

         “Let’s see how the sappling holds up against the storm.”  Sir Alden’s confidence gave me hope.  He was aging, but I was sure he could win.

         The clash of steel against steel was overpowered by the crash of thunder and the accompanying flash of lightning.  My eyes strayed from the fight for a mere second, to stare at a dark shape in the lighted courtyard.  I blinked, but the wolf continued to stare, pale-white eyes piercing through the night.  The courtyard went dark again until another flash broke the heavens. 

It was gone.

         Sound returned to my ears and my attention came back to Sir Alden, the wolf forgotten.  Sir Damon had been pushed back, retreating under Sir Alden’s unwavering blows. 

“Adanna, go!”

         Without hesitation I jumped to my feet and ran for the open door.  Pulse pounding in my ears, I ran for the only help I knew would come.  In the darkness it was hard to find the right door, but familiarity gave me the direction I needed.  Shuffling behind the door told me he was awake and knew something wasn’t right.  Finding the latch, I threw the door wide and stepped inside. 

         “Alden needs your help.”  At the sound of his master’s name, Clover’s ears pricked up. 

“Go!” I shouted, jumping on his back and slapping his rump with my hand.  Whinnying, Clover left the stable at a dead gallop, sensing my distress.  I didn’t have to direct the charger, some sixth sense told him where his master fought for his life.  Ducking beneath the doorway, I searched for a sign that Sir Alden was still fighting.  Through the darkness came the huff of labored breathing and grunts of effort. 

         Nothing was visible so I called out Alden’s name.  Not a second later I felt a hand on my leg.  “Help me up, Adanna.”

         Sighing in relief I used all my strength to haul Sir Alden up behind me.  Without direction Clover left the hall. 

“Are you alright?”  I looked back, knowing I couldn’t see any wounds if he had any.  He was still panting, unable to catch his breath.

         “He got me in the arm.  But I think he’ll be out of commission for a few days at least.”

         “I need to see that arm.”

         “No, we need to get you out of here, it’s not safe anymore.”

         “And where would I go?  This is my home.”

         “I have an idea, but it’s risky and possibly more dangerous.”

         “I’m not leaving Alden, no brutish knight is going to bully me into leaving.”  I set my jaw, refusing to give in.

         “Don’t make me force you, Adanna.”  He reached around me and held to Clover’s mane.  “Clover take us back.”

         “Back?” I asked in alarm.  Why would we go back?  “No, I’m not…”  A sharp pain at the base of my neck preceded the black void of unconsciousness.

         

         “…take him with you?”  Voices had penetrated the haze, but my limbs still wouldn’t move.  “I know you are in no condition to travel, but you’re the only one I can trust.”

         “I’m sorry Sir Alden, I wish I could help you, but I have neither the time nor resources to care for a child.  This life is rough, as you well know, and no place for a boy.”

         I couldn’t tell who he was speaking to, but the voice sounded familiar.  Whoever it was, Sir Alden made him think I was a boy and was trying to convince him to take me along with him.  How was this any different than what Father Thomas had done?

         “He would not hinder your journey, I swear it.  I have taught him the ways of the knight and he is efficient with a bow as well as a short sword.”

         “Ares cannot carry two and the supplies we need.” 

         Sir William.  I couldn’t believe Sir Alden was asking him to leave in his condition. 

         “The boy will ride Clover.  He is an old horse, but still capable and strong.”

         Sir William seemed to have run out of excuses and a short silence ensued.  A long sigh declared Sir William’s surrender.  “I’ll help you take him to the horse.”

         My eyes were blurry, but they were finally open.  Limbs heavy, I attempted to rise from the bed I was lying on.  “I…I’m not going.”

         Both knights looked in my direction, surprise etched on their faces. 

“Now Adan, don’t be a fool.”  Sir Alden was silently imploring me not to blow the story he had concocted.

         “I won’t…”  Sir William had gotten to his feet, taken a rope from the hook on the wall, tied my hands and thrown me over his shoulder before I could finish the sentence.

Impossible.  There was no way he could recover from his wounds so quickly. 

         Sir Alden must have been thinking the same thing, but didn’t say anything. 

“I’ll get some food from the kitchens.”  Leaving me to Sir William, Alden turned down the right corridor while we veered left.

         “Call out and I’ll gag you.” 

The warning fell on deaf ears.

         “Let me g…”  Sir William flipped me off his shoulder and propelled me against the wall with more force than necessary.  Pulling a long piece of cloth from a pocket, he tied it around my mouth, silencing my protests. 

         “Don’t push me, boy.  I have very little patience.” 

Returned to my place on his shoulder, I continued my struggles, refusing to give up so easily.  Exiting the hall, Sir William whistled for Ares.  A crash sounded in the stables and a moment later Ares trotted up and nuzzled his masters outstretched hand.

“Wait here.”

         We approached Clover, who was on alert twenty feet away.  Sir William still had me over his shoulder, the hardened muscle cutting painfully into my lower stomach.  Lowering me to the ground much gentler than he had before, he directed my attention to Clover. 

“Tell your beast to stay or we might end up with a fight on our hands,“ he commanded, removing the gag.  When I hesitated, he tried a different tactic. 

“Clover is a much older stallion than Ares; he‘s sure to get hurt if they fight.”

         “Clover.”  Clover’s attention was still fixed on the other stallion. 

“Clover,” I tried again.  This time his eyes met mine.  “Stay.” 

He didn’t move a muscle, but continued to stare at Ares in challenge.  “Happy?”

         “Very,” he grunted as he lifted my weight onto Clover’s back.  Sir Alden must have saddled Clover before speaking to Sir William, for I now sat in my riding saddle.

         From the same pocket he had taken the cloth that now hung loosely around my neck, Sir William removed three short ropes.  The purpose of the rope was clear and he bent to tie my foot to the stirrup.  On impulse I kicked out, knocking him in the chest and propelling myself off Clover’s back.  The breath rushed out of my lungs as my back hit stone.  Knowing I had little time to spare I struggled to my feet and dashed into the nearest building, the stables. 

         Crouching down inside an occupied stall, I attempted to loosen the knot in the ropes holding my wrists.  If I had my hands free I might stand a chance against the injured knight, though he didn’t appear injured any longer.

         Sir William‘s voice echoed in the near empty stable.  “There’s nowhere to run Adan.  Why don’t you face it?  You’re coming with me and that’s the end of it.” 

         I wasn’t convinced.

         Frustrated his plan had failed, Sir William stormed through the stable, opening each stall and slamming it shut when it didn’t procure his quarry. 

“If Sir Alden hadn’t known my father, you’d be strapped, unconscious to the horse, bleeding from the head.”

         He was drawing nearer and I still hadn’t managed to free my hands, or even loosen the knot.  A pregnant silence left me straining to hear his movements.

         “Having trouble?”

         Raising my head, I found Sir William staring down at me from outside the stall, his arms resting atop the stall door.  It creaked as he opened it and led the horse out. 

         “Why don’t I give you a hand?”  Back over his shoulder, I threw a kick.  One overly large hand imprisoned my rebellious leg. 

“Sorry, but I plan on having children in the future and as much as I admire your courage I’m not about to let you change that.”

         This time my struggles availed me nothing and I ended up tied to Clover’s back before Sir Alden made his appearance.  Carrying bags filled with food and medical supplies, he stopped when he saw my restraints.  “Are those necessary?”

         “That boy is more trouble than he’s worth.” 

         Alden noted the way Sir William was massaging his chest where I had kicked him.  “Adan, you didn’t.”

         Refusing to answer, I turned away.

         “I’m sorry, I hope you’re not hurt.” 

         Why’d Sir Alden have to take the blame for me?  Even when forcing me to leave, he took care of me.  Unbidden, guilt washed over me.

         “I’ll survive.  But we should be going.”

         Sir Alden nodded, eyes glistening with tears.  I couldn’t believe my eyes, Sir Alden never cried. 

“Take care of yourself Adan.”  He didn’t even look me in the eye.

         Panic released my voice as he turned to leave. 

“Wait!”  Pausing, he looked back.  “Please.”  I sighed in relief as he approached.  Somewhere in the back of my mind I noticed Sir William move away to give us time to say farewell. 

         Though I knew it would do no good, I had to try one more time.  “Don’t make me do this.”

         “Adanna, you know as well as I that you can’t stay here.  Your destiny lies with Sir William.  You would have ended up with him one way or another.”

         “What are you talking about?”  Sir Alden wasn’t making any sense.  He’d never spoken of destiny or fate in all the years I had known him.

         “You’ll know in time.  Live well, Adanna, and try not to remember me as your enemy.”

         His last words broke my resolve to make him tell me the truth.  A single tear streamed down my face. 

“You have never been my enemy, Alden.  You’re the closest thing to a father I have ever known.”

         “We have to go.  Now!”  Sir William rode up on Ares and grabbed Clover’s reigns. 

         Resisting the stranger’s control, Clover reared.  “Go Clover.  Adan is your master now.”

         A roar of rage echoed in the night, a sign that the peace would shatter once more.  The doors to the great hall were flung wide, the towering form of Sir Damon filling the frame. 

         “Adan!” 

         I didn’t need any more encouragement. 

“Go Clover!”  Fear kept me from resisting and shame kept me from looking back. 

Previous Chapter:

 Far Sighted Ch 1: Healer's Hands  (13+)
I looked down to see coal black eyes, endless as the night sky, glaring up at me.
#1509244 by Far Sighted


Next Chapter:

 Far Sighted Ch 3: Weathering the Storm  (13+)
His superior strength propelled me to the ground fighting to keep his blade from my throat
#1559656 by Far Sighted
© Copyright 2009 Far Sighted (mccon2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559649-Far-Sighted-Ch-2-Unwilling-Engagements