*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560144-Falling-For-the-Enemy
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1560144
Agent Kaya Lorington is enrolled in a high school to date and eliminate Chris Torelli.
Falling For the Enemy





Summary: Falling in love or falling hard? 16 year old secret agent Kaya Lorington is enrolled in high school to date and eliminate Chris Torelli. When the truth is filled with nothing, but unforgivable lies, how can you tell what's real, what's fake, and who really fell hard?



Chapter One:

Looking Back



The sharp piercing of ice cracking rumbled in my ears. It was below zero as clouds formed in front of me, my own body trying to keep the heat inside consistent. It wasn’t the best of days…but it wasn’t the worst either.



Snow flakes fell before me as I watched them fall gently on the white ground. The sky was dark too as night had fallen upon us. Twilight was here.



The frosty air made me stutter and hug myself. Winter was an unforgivable season. Too cold for anything important. It got in the way of my life. As I walked down the empty street, I noticed how much the city had changed. How much it had gone through. My own childhood memories filled my head, bringing back playful times.



It also brought back great grief. The sadness I had endured the past years and the horrible fate I had been cursed with. It was tiring knowing how my life was going, the direction it would take. It was all planned out…in black and white.



I shook my head of any thoughts and concentrated on the rode ahead of me. My house was only three blacks away, but I didn’t want to go home. I simply wanted to keep walking until dawn came, even if I caught frost bite.



My hands were now stuffed into the pockets of my jacket as my nose was buried deep into the scarf that laid around my neck. How had I survived this season…so many times before? My life itself seemed a mystery, even though I new everything that had happened. What I didn’t remember scared me.



The street lamps began to light up and my hair was probably frozen stiff. My own face was too cold, too numb to tell the difference. I need to go home. I reminded myself.



Home was where my mother and brother awaited. Though, my brother was only one years old, enjoying my presence more than my actual company. Mom had always been delighted to see me, as she stated “You and your brother are the most important people in my life now, forever.”



She had said that with so much love that I had always admired my mom in that way. She was capable of loving someone with so much passion, it hurt to not feel the same way about her. Her kindness and warmth radiated off and made you feel special. Like a somebody.



I wondered why I couldn’t be as kind as her. Maybe too much darkness and loneliness was in my heart for me to love. Maybe the only people I was physically capable of loving were my mom and brother. No one else mattered.



Time had made me strong over the years, as mom would sometimes worry. I had smiled though and told her I was fine. I couldn’t bear to see her worry over someone like me. Someone too horrible and cruel to even open their heart.



My house appeared before me in its same welcoming doors. It fit mom’s personality well. Open, warm, friendly. When I was little, I called it my castle, where I would always be safe.



I stared at it for a second longer, gazing at its natural beauty and walked up the steps. The two big doors opened as I placed the rod shaped key in. Inside, the chandelier went high up above me, the crystals shun with bright lights and a million rainbows shot out in different directions.



I closed the door, and started removing my jacket. Mom was home, of course. And I doubt Anthony could have left. Not much a one year old could really do.



I entered the living room, too see mom’s back to me as she leaned over the crib, making a soft voice and strange hand gestures to Anthony. I heard him laugh and reach out to mom. She kissed his small, fragile hand.



“How was your walk?” Mom asked without turning. She sounded relived to know I was alright, keeping herself busy with Anthony.



“Fine.” I stated, plopping down on a leather, white chair that stood in the living room. It had a white sofa as well and beige carpet. The walls extended outward and a fire place was on the west wall as a focal point.



Mom continued to make funny sounds at Anthony and turned to me. She smiled brightly as her long, light brown hair was wavy, passing down her shoulders. Her skin was as pale as the moon, and she had light green eyes and full lips. Behind them, were her perfectly straight, white teeth.



I had always seen my mom as a beautiful person, and wondered why she was alone. Maybe it was to early…



The kitchen timer went off and mom stood up, leaving Anthony to himself. She started going to the kitchen, as I went by Anthony.



His hair was dark brown, the same as my own and his eyes were a dark green. His skin ghostly white and his cheeks were pink. I smiled I pulled him out of the crib. I laid on the ground and held Anthony carefully in my arms.



He looked up at me in curiosity, then smiled and giggled. I laughed too and poked his cheek lightly.



Mom came back with a bottle of milk for Anthony. A towel and bib was in here other hand as she reached out for the baby. I carefully handed him over to her.



“You know.” Mom started, giving Anthony his bottle. “If you like babies so much, perhaps it would be better to get you a job at the day care center. I’m sure you’d love to work with them and it would be easier too-.”



“Mom.” I interrupted her as she looked at me softly. I swallowed. “I like my job.” I stated, plainly. Lie. Mom sighed and shook her head.



“No you don’t, Kaya. I can see it in your eyes. You hate working for the agency.” She said matter-o-fact. She was right, but I went on.



“It’s what’s helping pay off our debts.” I said to her, gently. We were all silent then as Anthony finished his bottle. Mom placed the towel on her shoulder and lifted him up, patting his back.



“I know.” Was all she said. We were reminded once again of the past…a place none of us wanted to go back to.

© Copyright 2009 ShellyCullen (shellycullen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560144-Falling-For-the-Enemy