*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560812-Teaching-Styles
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ann
Rated: E · Other · Activity · #1560812
An explanation of the courses and teaching styles in Independence Institute
Welcome to the Independence Institute. We are very proud to welcome you to our online campus. We pride ourselves in not only teaching challenging material, but also teaching in a way that teaches the students how to learn. Our curriculum and teaching style is different from most schools. We have strived to make it as independent as possible for the highest possible learning experience.

There are no official dates for semesters or trimesters at the Independence Institute. When a student begins a class, they have one week for each hour the class will take meaning they will have an hour a week of "class time." Class Time consists of the student reading through text and possibly watching short video lectures.

If the class is 5 hours (meaning a 5-week term) long or shorter, there will only be a final exam grade which usually is an essay about what you have learned and basic concepts. There may be quizzes and short assignments that take under an hour a week depending on your professor.

If the class is longer than 5 hours, there will be a midterm essay/exam and a final essay/exam. There may be also quizzes and short assignments that take under an hour a week depending on your professor.

After the first grade, whether it be assignment, quiz or midterm, if the student's average is below a 90% their professor may or may not offer extra credit. Any students with an average of a C or lower will be recommended for a tutor.

Professors are merely for help here at the Institute. They do not teach lessons regularly; the student will gradually learn to teach themselves and develop their own learning style. This way, the student can learn in a highly personal way. Professors do discuss concepts with students, as well as proctor midterms, finals and quizzes. Professors can give you some amount of extra help if you need. They also will be the ones to grade your work.
© Copyright 2009 ann (cheerrox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560812-Teaching-Styles