*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560910-The-Adventures-of-Captain-Tom-Walker
by Snake
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1560910
Personal Log 0234.429: Computer, voice identification, Captain Walker, Thomas, Commander.
Space Travel Institute, Perth AU
(Corporate ID Number 4,670,230)


         “Personal Log 0234.429: Computer, voice identification, Captain Walker, Thomas, Commander Deep Space Probe Scorpio - Star Ship.”

. . . Working – ID successful.  Welcome aboard Captain . . .



A Tactic in Desperation

                           


Chapter 1



         The year is 2210 AD.

         With the over population of planet earth and its Moon, starvation on a global scale is becoming a very real possibility.  Much of the world's resources are either totally exhausted or polluted beyond any useable expectation.  So, in a completely reckless act in futility, the United World Federation launches four manned probes to explore the possibility of populating suitable planets in neighboring galaxies.

         Each of these probes consists of a crew of ten specially selected and trained men and women.  Tethered to each probe, or mother ship, is one cargo and one automated life support tag-along vehicle referred to as Tags.  In the Cargo tag is stored various types of mechanized equipment for traversing virtually any land mass, weaponry, machinery for processing raw materials, a complete medical lab and an array of communications equipment.  The automated tag contained an agricultural lab.  Robotic equipment tends growing bins, harvesting equipment and storage facilities.  Operations in this Tag-along will continue through the course of the voyage.

         Shortly following launch, the human members of each mother ship enter an SLSC (Suspended Life Support Chamber) where they will remain in a hibernating state, their body functions brought to a complete halt, for their entire voyage.

         The first of the four probes, Probe Aries, is sent to the outer reaches of the Galaxy Andromada.  This ship’s time in travel is expected to last the shortest.  While using the latest form of space propulsion, the Magnetron Engine, (using the magnetic force of planets, asteroids and stars to continually increase their speed until just below the speed of light) their trip will take a mere ten years to reach their destination.

         Two probes, Sagittarius and Capricorn, are launched to the Bearton Galaxy where ten potential new homes were discovered during the later part of the twentieth Century.  Their time in travel is expected to last seventy-five years.

         And the last probe, Probe Scorpio, is launched toward the Trenton Galaxy.  A system discovered through
the use of the Mars built Eyes of Heaven.  A radio telescope ten times larger and a hundred times more powerful than anything attempted on Earth.  The brave men and women aboard this Star Ship have volunteered for the most hazardous of the manned ventures.  Their time in space will stretch over a period of some three hundred years.

***


         United Earth Federation President Joseph Sotto stands behind a podium as he prepares to present the Annual State of the World Address.  Rounds of prerecorded applause slowly subside, and the President begins:

         “Citizens of Earth, our Moon and Mars colonies, I come to you with a message of hope for us all.  I am pleased to announce that there are, at this very moment, successes in the field of Cybernetic Plant Development.  And at the same time the Earth Resource Recovery Project is making great strives.” 

         A large smile sweeps across the President’s lips as he waits for the sounds of prerecorded cheers and applause to subside, he then continues.  “The Universal Congress has approved my semi-annual UWF budget and has allocated increased funding for our Mars shuttle venture – the fleet to be increased to two hundred and fifty ships.” 

         Again President Sotto stops his speech, smiles, holds his hands up and nods to quiet an outburst of prerecorded applause and cheers.  And again, he continues: 

         “These efforts are important and will stay the threat of starvation for the time being.  But they will not solve our not-so-distant need for adequate housing and safer living conditions.  As a medium to long-range solution to these and unforeseen problems, I have commissioned the launch of manned-probes to search the heavens.  We, my friends, may not benefit from the result of these probes, but the future of our children and our children's children rests upon the brave men and women who have risked everything in our behalf.”

         The president is again interrupted by loud, prolonged prerecorded applause and then he concludes: 
“Join me, my fellow humans, as we say a silent prayer that these missions succeed."

***


         Following the President’s speech, members of the four Space Probes take one last look at a star system that they have come to know as well as their own backyard, then slowly make their way toward their individual SLSC.  For when they again wake they will be in the far-reaches of space and facing challenges unknown by any space traveler of their time.  And silence quickly engulfs each probe as it is drawn deeper and deeper into space and at speeds beyond the comprehension of mortal man. 

***


         President Sotto sits at the head of a gathering of world leaders and prepares to discuss his commissioned
probe exploration of space.  He then stands, raps his knuckles on the table and begins:

         "Gentlemen, I have called you here to explain the need for this exploration of space."  The distinguished looking, middle aged man then nervously shifts his weight from one leg to the other and continues.  "The programs we have initiated to deal with our population and food crisis will give temporary relief at best.  As you are all aware, our hopes of cultivating the Mars Agricultural Plane have been a total failure, the soil will not produce food in the quantity that we so desperately need.  And our efforts at selective human sterilization has been met with far too much criticism."

         The President then slowly moves from the end of a long heavy wooden table and walks toward a chart at the rear of the Oval Room.  And as he walks he continues to brief the gathered leaders.  "Much consideration and planning has gone into the selected targets for our Probes to investigate." 

         All eyes watch when the President stops at a chart then turns to face the gathering.  The entire star system is depicted in an enormous awry of colored, semi-transparent holographs.  Then at the push of a button the chart begins to rotate and a mock- up of Probe Aries is shown streaking toward a far-reaching destination. 

         "Aries will arrive at its selected target in our time.  Our children will be the new explorers and will inhabit this new and exciting world."

         Next, Probes Sagittarius and Capricorn came into view.  "Gentlemen, we will not be around to see these ships arrive at their destinations.  But here is where our futures greatest hope lies.  Here, Gentlemen, is where the bulk of humanity will one day call home.  Of all the Galaxies known to man, the Bearton Galaxy has the largest number of inhabitable planets.  It is here gentlemen, here in the Bearton Galaxy where our children's children will take their rightful place.

         As the President slowly makes his way back to the front of the briefing table the representative from The America's stands and asked.  "Mr. President . . . What you have told us sounds admirable and we, as a body, agree with the actions you have taken.  But, what of the other Probe?"

         Sotto takes his seat, folds his arms over his chest and looks at the floor.  The hall is silent; every eye trained on the President as he slowly looks up.  "Scorpio will not be heard from again.  It's three hundred years to their destination.  Two years for radio communications to travel from Earth to the Trenton Galaxy.  Pure and simple ladies and gentlemen, Scorpio is entirely a scientific venture.  Each of these men and women have been specifically selected and trained for their mission.  They’re experienced in medicine, science, technology and survival."  Sotto then smiles as he concluded.  "And, Gentlemen, they have been matched biologically.  These fine men and women will not be looking for homes for us.  These travelers will be the beginning of a race of humans unto their own."

         Sotto then nods to his Aid near the rear of the hall who immediately began passing out several official looking documents.  "What you have here is Executive Order number Z-1.340, outlining your responsibilities in preparing our children for travel to the Andromada Galaxy.  You are each to select both boys and girls in ages five to ten.  These children will be trained in medicine, science and exploration.”

         The representatives of the five World Provinces became silent as they rustled through the order.  The Provincial Leader of the Asian Community stands and as she looks through her handful of documents, she asks.  "Mr. President, I see nothing about the number of children to be selected."

         Sotto smiles and says, "There is no number because we are unsure of the status of the world ten years from now.  But you will use the number 100,000 as a guide.  Five to ten years in the future may require that number to be doubled, or possibly even tripled, but it will be no less."

         "100,000 children from each Province?" the leader of the Americas asks. 

         "Yes," the President answers. 

         The leader of the European Province then stands, and with a look of total uselessness on his face, he says, "Mr. President, I can't see where this plan will help.  With a world population of one-hundred trillion, a half million kids will do no good at all!"

         "Not immediately," Sotto answers, "but once a New World is settled, we will send many more.  Just as we have done on our Moon and are in the process of doing on Mars."

         The President then stands, takes a deep breath and says, "OK ladies and gentlemen you have a job to do, let's get with it.  And remember, any effort, regardless of how minor, will help."

         The five Provincial leaders and their staffs stand, bow to the President, who acknowledged their display of respect, and they file from the room.

         Once the Oval Room is empty President Sotto slowly walks to the rear of the meeting hall.  He draws large heavy curtains open and stands looking out into an ugly world, a world scared and lifeless.  He then raises his eyes toward an orange haze that covers the earth and thinks.  Useless . . . all attempts to save the Earth are totally useless.  Captain Tom Walker and his crew aboard Probe Scorpio are the lucky ones!

         A door opens into the Oval Room and Gale, the President’s personal secretary, enters.  "Mr. President, is there anything I can do for you before I go home?" 

         Sotto turns and smiles, about to dismiss the young lady, then says.  "Oh! Yes, would you please have the filters in my Gas Mask replaced.  I believe they’re contaminated."
© Copyright 2009 Snake (mtsnake at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560910-The-Adventures-of-Captain-Tom-Walker