*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561003-Community-Service
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1561003
To serve is noble
Now a die-hard writer like me evolves once in years (actually I meant decades at least but then my modesty forbids from self-indulgence). Such extra-ordinary talent is usually ignored by the masses and therefore, it is I who has to run after the masses. Easier said than done, the masses are no dumb stones. They have the ability to move!

Not to be outdone, as always, I came up with an innovation. I planned to target the elderly. They are almost immobilized by old age, joint pains and many other funny-sounding ailments. They are always available in abundance in public places such as parks, bus stands and toilets. After some research and investigations, I found my favorite place for hunting the gullible. It was the corner of a park, hosting a couple of benches with a toilet in the vicinity. The toilet was perfect getaway for me, just in case one of the immobile things gets excited.

I struck gold in my very first try. The old man was occupying the park bench while enjoying his morning newspaper. I approached him nonchalantly. Within moments, I was at it, going full throttle on my recent writings. The old man sneered at me but continued listening to whatever I had to say. After a while he excused himself.

Next day, the old man came back with some of his pals. I was alarmed. My sincerest thought of the getaway was, however, interrupted by the request from the old man to entertain the whole group through my story-reading session. I did some backward foxtrot within and continued zealously. At the end of the session, the gathering applauded. While leaving, I heard one of the old gorillas mentioning to my first victim that he was so right about my session that helped him clear his intestinal obstructions. I kept standing there – stupefied. The only saving grace was my quixotic feeling towards my community service.

Word Count: 320
© Copyright 2009 Metropolitan Aranyak (chinmays at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561003-Community-Service