*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561170-And-just-like-that
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by pierad
Rated: E · Short Story · Tragedy · #1561170
A young boy contemplates his placement in an orphanage.
AND JUST LIKE THAT…

And just like that, the car quickly sped away. Henry waved timidly, but no one in the car noticed. No one in the car returned the boy’s gesture in kind. For in the vehicle they were already busy talking amongst themselves - focused on their own plans and their own dreams, schemes and desires. From his perch on the curb Henry watched the car as it passed off into the distance carrying its’ occupants far away and out of Henry’s life, most likely forever. He clinched his fists trying to retain his composure. Shaking slightly, the boy tried to choke back any tears, but one ran down his cheek anyway.

Their last words to him were replayed over and over again in his mind like an endless echo in a large, dark and lonely cavern. “We’re doing you a favor”, they told him. “Try not to blame yourself.” “It is we who are not worthy, so we are doing what is best for you.” “You’ll understand some day.” Henry found little consolation in their words. As much as he tried he could not find comfort in the fact that being raised as a ward of the state by well meaning civil servants was better than that reared by two drunken and selfish parents.

It would seem, Henry told himself, that they were right. Why go through a childhood filled with indifference and abuse when there was another option? Yet for all the attempts to reconcile and justify the issue in his mind, Henry could not help but feel that along with the suitcases full of clothes and travel brochures that his identity was packed up in that car too. Right or wrong, this young man knew that who he was and what his purpose had been up to that point in his life was fading rapidly into the distance and he did not want to let go of it.

Henry had always been a quite boy, usually keeping to himself. He thought they would have liked that about him. He didn’t mind the many times he was left alone while they caroused. Henry was just one of those people who were very comfortable in their own company. Maybe, he thought, he should have explained that to them. If he had, maybe things would be different. Perhaps he would be in the back seat of that 47’ coupe right now reading or watching the scenery fly by rather than standing in front of an orphanage.

The social worker had explained to them all that there was a good chance that Henry would be placed in a foster home. After all he was a well behaved child who was not sickly or dumb. He remembered thinking, what chance do kids that aren’t perfect have for adoption? As he was ushered inside he began hoping that he would be placed in a foster home soon, so he could begin again his life and regain his identity. After all he was only nine.





503
© Copyright 2009 pierad (pierad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561170-And-just-like-that