*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561548-Discussion-Topic-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rick H
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1561548
DT #3 relevance of epiphanies to a story's quality.
Discussion Topic #3:
Now that we have covered the basics of story telling and learned techniques to analyze our own work, answer the following questions.
What type of story do you prefer? A story where the protagonist always wins?
Do you believe a character must grow or somehow be altered in some significant way [have an epiphany], for it to be considered a "real" story?
Looking over your own work, have you ever written a story that included the epiphany.
If you do not have many stories of your own, then answer this question: In your favorite book or movie, or tv show, do you find the epiphany?


      In general, I like the good guy to come out on top, but not necessarily in the way I foresaw. I think, sometimes a story is better if the hero doesn’t accomplish success at all points of conflict. As far as character ‘growth’ goes, it is not essential to realism for me. After all, we as people, we don’t always show growth or wisdom from our experiences. It is the, some people never learn, syndrome, so why must that be limited to the villains. Why can’t a few successes in a character’s life leave him still human, having the same insecurities or character flaws or whatever that he entered with? Smart people will always do stupid stuff, look at Washington, D.C.’s cast of characters. Likewise, even the feeble-minded will occasionally hit on brilliance. That’s the real world. Our fictional story writing has to reflect the real world to attain believability.
      In two stories of mine, Rodger and the Tramp King
 Rodger And The Tramp King  (13+)
A short story of a life changing encounter. Does God dress as a Tramp?
#1536832 by Rick H
, and Repelling South Dakota
 REPELLING SOUTH DAKOTA  (13+)
Sometimes the best of efforts are just cosmically thwarted.
#1540924 by Rick H
, the characters experienced an epiphany. Rodger’s was much more dramatic and visual. The main character in ‘Repelling’ experienced a more subtle awakening or conclusion; though through a much more prolong repeated experience. Both characters were changed by their experiences nonetheless.
© Copyright 2009 Rick H (earthvillager at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561548-Discussion-Topic-3